By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox HW revenue up 14% from last year, overall up 8%. Xbox Live users reach 59 million

It went up and they did it with barely any 1st party exclusives.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Just a new console, nothing major right?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

No wonder they dont say anything  Must have dropped a lot since then  

jason1637 said:
Kerotan said:
Why don't Microsoft give out xbox live gold numbers anymore? When was the last time they did and what were the figures?

46 million back in 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/20/always-on-microsoft-xbox-live-subscriptions-up-to-46m-will-never-be-free/amp/

jason1637 said:
Kerotan said:
Why don't Microsoft give out xbox live gold numbers anymore? When was the last time they did and what were the figures?

46 million back in 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/20/always-on-microsoft-xbox-live-subscriptions-up-to-46m-will-never-be-free/amp/

46 million was the overall number of Xbox Live members back in 2013 which includes both paying (Xbox Live Gold) and non-paying (Xbox Live Free) members. That number is now at 59 million.

CEO of Wargaming, Victor Kislyi, revealed back in September 2014 that the number of paying members (Xbox Live Gold) was at 17 million (source):
"Of course the biggest constraint would be the limited amount of Gold subscribers. Of course we have to respect that rule of Microsoft; there’s only something around 17 million Gold subscribers to that, so that’s a limitation."

I believe that's the last time we got Xbox Live Gold numbers and considering how popular Xbox 360 was compared to Xbox One that number probably hasn't grown much. That would also explain why Microsoft never talks of Xbox Live Gold users but instead overall users (paid + free) and monthly active users.

last92 said:
eva01beserk said:

Where are you guys getting that its up yoy?

The article says revenue is up, which could just mean the x sold for more of a profit since its  a premium console. As far as we know individual devices could have sold less than last year. I think A good indication of this is software sales being down. wich would indicate that there are less xbox gamers, but many existing ones seem to have upgraded to the x.  

To be fair, it's not even only that. Revenue is up yoy because they launched a new and more expensive console, so it's not surprising at all. But what about profits? Did they say anything about that? 

Considering the price difference between one s and one x, a 14% revenue increment probably means flat sales in the best case.

By the way, those xbox live numbers look weird and a little pointless.

This. Considering that they only mention revenue, which they definitely would have mentioned being up YOY in HW sales, I'd say it's safe to assume that they are either flat or down. And given that they were basically flat in the US for the last quarter, I'm assuming sales aren't so great WW, meaning they are probably slightly down, overall.

jason1637 said: 
Kerotan said: 

46 million back in 2013.

He was asking for Gold numbers. That article specifically mentions that the 46M also includes Silver members, too. I believe MS has stated in the past that Gold members make up ~50% of all subs, which would mean that Gold subs back then were ~23M, if that 50% held up. 

Around the Network
Replicant said:
jason1637 said:

46 million back in 2013.

46 million was the overall number of Xbox Live members back in 2013 which includes both paying (Xbox Live Gold) and non-paying (Xbox Live Free) members. That number is now at 59 million.

CEO of Wargaming, Victor Kislyi, revealed back in September 2014 that the number of paying members (Xbox Live Gold) was at 17 million (source):
"Of course the biggest constraint would be the limited amount of Gold subscribers. Of course we have to respect that rule of Microsoft; there’s only something around 17 million Gold subscribers to that, so that’s a limitation."

I believe that's the last time we got Xbox Live Gold numbers and considering how popular Xbox 360 was compared to Xbox One that number probably hasn't grown much. That would also explain why Microsoft never talks of Xbox Live Gold users but instead overall users (paid + free) and monthly active users.

Ouch. That means that the 50% number has decreased over the years. 

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

Doesn't it need games to sell it? Guess not.

Great to see Xbox is doing fine and xbox live growths

Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:

You are right. But does it need games to sell well? is a different question. Cant say I know for sure until they release numbers. But Pros believe is down yoy. So its not looking good.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

You are right. But does it need games to sell well? is a different question. Cant say I know for sure until they release numbers. But Pros believe is down yoy. So its not looking good.

there are no pros here because if they were pros they were not  here......you could say interested amateurs. I think it is up YoY because 360 is dead now , XB1 s was the cheaper the year everywhere and the Xb1 sold very well during holiday.