By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox HW revenue up 14% from last year, overall up 8%. Xbox Live users reach 59 million

eva01beserk said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Well it aint first party pushing sales. Looks like all the third party plus backwards compatibility and things like that are pushing the HW sales.

Again yes. the console is selling. But is selling less and less for 2 years straight while the competition is selling more every year. The only thing we know that the xbox is not doing that the competition is, is making first party games. 

They need to get on the exclusive/first party train. They have so many IP's at their disposal. I'll be forever salty about Scalebound though. That one hurt a lot 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
eva01beserk said:

Again yes. the console is selling. But is selling less and less for 2 years straight while the competition is selling more every year. The only thing we know that the xbox is not doing that the competition is, is making first party games. 

They need to get on the exclusive/first party train. They have so many IP's at their disposal. I'll be forever salty about Scalebound though. That one hurt a lot 

Your telling me. that was the only game that was making think of getting an xbox.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Your telling me. that was the only game that was making think of getting an xbox.

Yeah it was one of the reasons I was holding onto my XB1 at the time. Then it got canceled, so I sold my XB1. I didn't need to buy another one since I got a gaming PC. Now everything(for the most part) thats exclusive to XB1 i can still play on my PC via windows 10, so thats a good deal.

Its how I got to play Super Lucky's Tale lol

PwerlvlAmy said:
eva01beserk said:

Yeah it was one of the reasons I was holding onto my XB1 at the time. Then it got canceled, so I sold my XB1. I didn't need to buy another one since I got a gaming PC. Now everything(for the most part) thats exclusive to XB1 i can still play on my PC via windows 10, so thats a good deal.

I guess its slim pickings on the xbox anyways. :p

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

I guess its slim pickings on the xbox anyways. :p

Super Luckys Tale wasnt that bad really. Not great but not Sonic Forces level lol

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
Well it aint first party pushing sales. Looks like all the third party plus backwards compatibility and things like that are pushing the HW sales.

That would make sense if software was up, it's more likely that Xbox one owners are pushing the HW sales by upgrading. It could also be argued that most newcomers are  at this moment being attracted by the HW in a similar way too buyers at the start of a new gen,that similarity  being the anticipation of it bearing fruit down the line.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

That would make sense if software was up, it's more likely that Xbox one owners are pushing the HW sales by upgrading. It could also be argued that most newcomers are  at this moment being attracted by the HW in a similar way too buyers at the start of a new gen,that similarity  being the anticipation of it bearing fruit down the line.

Yeah that could be true. I mean it has to be one thing or another. XB1X gave it a nice boost. Bought one for my cousin and he was hyped

PwerlvlAmy said:
mjk45 said:

Yeah that could be true. I mean it has to be one thing or another. XB1X gave it a nice boost. Bought one for my cousin and he was hyped

Your cousin is one lucky dude, and I hope he continues to appreciate the gift, when in the future the time comes and  he's told that he  has to look after you 24/7 in your old age . at least that's what I would do, around the clock nursing is expensive but reminders of ones largess is cheap.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Your cousin is one lucky dude, and I hope he continues to appreciate the gift, when in the future the time comes and  he's told that he  has to look after you 24/7 in your old age . at least that's what I would do, around the clock nursing is expensive but reminders of ones largess is cheap.

Sounds about right. No nursing home for me. He must take care of me himself and stroll me around in my wheelchair. Its the only logical thing to ask. But yeah he likes it, it was the Scorpio edition one. Everyone ive talked to that still has their xb1's or xb1x's are still happy with their purchases for the most part,which is good to hear

hunter_alien said:
Azzanation said:

Well see there are a few flaws with your debate. 

1st - I said Majority not all. In your eyes the US Automotive industry must be failing hard since there cars are mostly popular in the USA. Much like the Australian Car Industry as well since no one buys there stuff overseas either (Yes I'm Australian)

2nd - USA is enough to satisfy any maker if you succeed in the US your product succeeds as well.

3rd - You act like finishing last means unsuccessful. Its a Business not a Sport might want to Learn the difference between the two. There's no Gold trophy to the 1st place team.

4th - Did you forget the WiiU finished last this gen?

Proof is you don't need the rest of the world to be successful.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-19/death-of-australian-car-making-leaves-chasm-in-blue-collar-towns

2: True, but at the same time it sells less than half of its global possibility

3: Again, its true, and nothing inherently wrong, the problem is that MS puts a whole lot of manpower behind the Xbox division, and they are way behind schedule when it comes to real results. One would argue that the dropped way behind their intended 200 million target.

4: No I did not and it was a horrible failure, yet lets be honest this time around the X and PS4 will have to compete with the Switch, regardless the generational gap. Also, while Nintendo needed to try again to stay alive, MS does not rely on the gaming industry to stay relevant. Compare the Xbox brand to Azure and it quickly becomes obvious just how badly they look in comparison.

If there is no more Xbox generations than you will see them hit that 200million target, that's the clever thing on what they stated. They might be running the same platform for the rest of its life. No reset on there generations will lead to a number like that.

You cannot base a success off your competition, a success is if your business grows and profits not if it can outsell its competitors. Sure its great if they did however that's not necessary. A good example of this is if Nintendo pulls the Switch off the market for there next console in 3 years time while X1 and PS4 continue to sell the same machine for the next 8 years, that means that X1 and PS4 will have sold more but you cannot take the success away from the Switch. Look at the N64, 5 years on the market and sold half of the PS1 which was on the market for 10 years, was that a failure to Nintendo? No.

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

You are probably right, Online services do have incentives.. however its clear that it is a much better way to profit when done right. 

Nintendo, Sony and Xbox have all had there ups and downs, console gaming is a giant gamble every Gen, One becomes super successful and the other fails to fire. Its common and its a dangerous industry and can be a major disaster for inventors or a great investment to some.

What started it all was Steam, a service that hit the gaming jackpot. That's something all companies are trying to achieve even Sony and Nintendo hence why PSN, PSNOW and Eshop and Nintendo's upcoming service all exists. Its become the standard and eventually it will become the full focus, Sony and Nintendo are trying to do it while not pissing off there customers and sneaking in there future plans while MS seem to be more upfront with there future plans. Hardware gets old, and everyone moves on eventually, where as an Account doesn't and it stays in the eco system waiting for the next big thing. Its a future proof system that will continue to generate money even though-out the generations. That's why MS have a bigger focus than just Xbox, there focus is also on the PC market and trying to grab as many customers as possible for there network.

Yes Sony and Nintendo are killing it right now however lets not forget the WiiU, the PS3, the Dreamcast and many more, this industry is far from perfect. Next gen will be another gamble on who would fall first and who will rise. Someone is going to lose. Unless you are Steam.

Gamers should start ignoring game sale numbers since things like Game-Pass will decrease physical game sales and that it wont be telling the full story any more which I think is a great thing. Sale numbers is usually nothing more than a ego tester, fanboys, trolls and it leads to nothing but wars. Having a service defeats the purpose of a debate which will lead to a healthier industry.

I think you are very confused on something and that while steam did struck gold, the circumstances are not the same anymore. Steam was groundbreaking for its time when everyone was on their own and gave just brought them together. But in a world where steam exist, there is no need for another service like it. Even if its better people wont care cuz it has a monopoly. plus what it offers its quite minimal really, everything is pretty much similar already. The only way MS can fight steam is by offering a similar platform, but also add something that steam doesn't and that would be exclusive games. So in the end, what would help push the console business would also push its pc store front.

So in the end, the future you are describing will be the same as the present, just that they might not need to produce the box anymore, but without anything to call out to their digital store thats unique that another store does not offer, it will fail, just the same as its already failed and they had to put games on steam like cuphead and I dont recall the other game.

And on the thing about ignoring game sales, thats already the case. We here that do care are but a small percent of the real gaming population. we really dont impact anything. And focusing on subs wont change anything, it will then be who has the most subs that starts fan wars. Like why does MS not disclose how many users actually pay for gold subs? 

There's no confusion about it. Current console are becoming and trying to be more like PCs, I am seeing the evolution with my own eyes. All systems are following Steams methods of success which is why they all have focused on the online digital side of things.

If consoles wanted to be consoles than why are they even bothering implementing an online structure like Steam? Because that's where the real money is, low maintenance and easy to make money. 

Software is down for Xbox by 10% but lets not take that for granted yet because I have a strong feeling that could be related Gamepass and that will only continue to reduce the numbers.

MS don't need to give numbers out to anybody, why should they? Its a business and stuff like that can stay in the business. How come MS never posted how much money they made on Live Subs from the entire 360 era? Maybe they don't want tell people how much money there making off you. Somethings are best keep inside the company walls.