By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rocket League for Switch to get updated visual and performance boost

Shikamo said:
FloatingWaffles said:

This is what makes me curious about the Wolfenstein 2 Switch port being handled by them, because depending on if they were given much longer to develop/port that over DOOM and Rocket League maybe it will be a much better port than the others considering they can learn more about the hardware and what it's capable of/how to get more out of it as with any other console. But if they are only given the same amount of time then i'm guessing it will be something similar to DOOM and Rocket League. 

Yeah i agree with you, I would love a update for doom in the future focused on stabilizing performance, but for that the game needs to sells more, and I would like to see a fallout 4 or a Fallout Collection (3+New Vegas) for switch made by iron galaxy, they did a Excelent job with skyrim.

I really wish it would. I want that  performance improvement patch for DOOM. I'm not usually resolution sensitive, but DOOM looks very soft because of the liberal anti-aliasing and could really do with a resolution bump and a locked 30 fps if possible.

Around the Network

Nice to see options like these on Switch as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Thankyou! It did look shitty

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Rocket League on Switch did always strike me as a port that was somewhat starved of time and resources, which I figured was because they were working on the more challenging Doom at the same time and that game got priority. They did say they would continue to optimize post-release so it's good to see them keeping their word.

That said, I don't agree with allegations that Doom was a sub-par port; its a demanding game, it couldn't hold 1080p even on PS4, so I don't think a locked 720p is a realistic expectation of the Switch version. I think people really underestimate the challenges of bringing a game that pushes even the PS4 to a mobile SoC. Switch can't run everything at 720p or higher, if you want high end PS4 games on it, sub-HD is sometimes going to be a necessary compromise.

It will be very interesting to see how Wolfenstein II turns out.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 January 2018

I need to start playing RL more, i played for like an hour the night i downloaded but havent played since because of Xeno 2.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Cool, please add gyro controls to Doom please. About to sell it because I hate dual analog and play it much less than I thought I would because of that.

curl-6 said:

Rocket League on Switch did always strike me as a port that was somewhat starved of time and resources, which I figured was because they were working on the more challenging Doom at the same time and that game got priority. They did say they would continue to optimize post-release so it's good to see them keeping their word.

That said, I don't agree with allegations that Doom was a sub-par port; its a demanding game, it couldn't hold 1080p even on PS4, so I don't think a locked 720p is a realistic expectation of the Switch version. I think people really underestimate the challenges of bringing a game that pushes even the PS4 to a mobile SoC. Switch can't run everything at 720p or higher, if you want high end PS4 games on it, sub-HD is sometimes going to be a necessary compromise.

Doom on PS4 huge majority of time runs at 1080p/60fps, I really don't see how Doom couldn't run at Switch docked mode at 720p/30fps, so I definitely think Doom port for Switch is not best done port, bad frame rate pacing just proves that, and now this with Rocket League, it seems Panic Button did not optimised those two ports well enough.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Doom on PS4 huge majority of time runs at 1080p/60fps, I really don't see how Doom couldn't run at Switch docked mode at 720p/30fps, so I definitely think Doom port for Switch is not best done port, bad frame rate pacing just proves that, and now this with Rocket League, it seems Panic Button did not optimised those two ports well enough.

But it still can't lock at either 1080p or 60fps on PS4. Heck, Xbox One can drop into the 40s and to 828p or lower, and that's a system much, much stronger than Switch, so 720p/30fps locked on Switch just isn't a realistic target.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

But it still can't lock at either 1080p or 60fps on PS4. Heck, Xbox One can drop into the 40s and to 828p or lower, and that's a system much, much stronger than Switch, so 720p/30fps locked on Switch just isn't a realistic target.

But thats a point, despite its not lock on PS4, huge majority of time runs at 1080p/60fps, on XB1 can drop to 40s and 820p but also goes to 1080p/60fps, but Switch version is also droping to 20s at 600p with bad frame pacing. So like I wrote, I definitely think Doom port for Switch is not best done port, bad frame rate pacing just proves that, and now this with Rocket League, it seems Panic Button did not optimised those two ports well enough.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

But thats a point, despite its not lock on PS4, huge majority of time runs at 1080p/60fps, on XB1 can drop to 40s and 820p but also goes to 1080p/60fps, but Switch version is also droping to 20s at 600p with bad frame pacing. So like I wrote, I definitely think Doom port for Switch is not best done port, bad frame rate pacing just proves that, and now this with Rocket League, it seems Panic Button did not optimised those two ports well enough.

It "proves" no such thing. Rocket League clearly lacked the necessarily time and resource investment, but if Doom 2016 can bring Xbox One down to 828p/40s at stress points, it's simply not realistic to expect the much weaker Switch hardware to handle that same stress point at a locked 720p/30.

If you want high end PS4 games on Switch, you might need to adjust your expectations, lest you spend this entire generation disappointed, because you're never going to see a game as advanced or more advanced than Doom running at a locked 720p/30 or higher on Switch.