By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should the 'Microsoft Buying E.A' rumors become true, what is the effect on Nintendo

No effect on Nintendo. EA games dont come to the system anyways

~FIN~

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

My guess at reactions from various console fanbases regarding these rumors:

Nintendo Fans: IDGAF
Microsoft Fans: Salivating at the thought of it
Sony Fans: Shitting their pants

3rd parties (especially EA) have given Nintendo the shaft for so long that no major 3rd party studio/publisher acquisition by Sony or Microsoft would really phase me. If anything, Microsoft has treated Nintendo better than EA has over the last couple of years so this would only be an improvement.

It would be funny if Microsoft bought EA and made two versions for each of their sports games: one with the xbox as the lead platform and the other with the Switch as the lead platform and they just give Sony the Switch version at a higher resolution.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 30 January 2018

EA doesn't do that much on Nintendo anyway. In fact, I can see that as an excuse for Nintendo to make their own brand of sports games.

Sony, on the other hand, could lose Europe outright, which is unthinkable. Just one FIFA on the PS platform against multiple FIFA for the XBox? That could be the thing that kills Sony's dominance there.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it lead to the switch getting more and higher quality ea releases. I feel like Microsoft would keep stuff like battlefield, star wars games, dead space, need for speed ect as exclusives but continue to publish their sports games as multiplats. I really wouldn't be surprised if a Microsoft owned ea put more effort into switch versions of fifa and Madden than current ea.

If Microsoft buy EA, it won't be the case that EA's major licensed titles suddenly become Xbox/Windows only. Think about it from the perspective of FIFA and Disney - are these giant entities going to be happy that the audience for their licensed videogames has been reduced by 10s of millions? Or will they pass those licenses onto other publishers who are able or willing to address a large, multi-format audience?

Microsoft are more of a software and services company than a hardware company. It's easy to forget that sometimes because Microsoft have done a disappointing job lining up in-house or exclusive software for Xbox One. It makes more sense for Microsoft to expand their activities in gaming (as they are doing) by offering their content, their software and services, on more platforms. If they do buy EA, I'd expect the major licensed EA titles to remain multi-format, at least in the medium term. The effect on Nintendo will therefore be minor. It may even be beneficial - Microsoft might be willing to have more EA titles on Switch, by way of helping to create more competition with Sony.

Ultimately, the more interesting question is: what happens with the IP EA own themselves? Would big projects like Anthem, Titanfall, Mass Effect etc be Xbox only in future?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Darwinianevolution said:
EA doesn't do that much on Nintendo anyway. In fact, I can see that as an excuse for Nintendo to make their own brand of sports games.

Sony, on the other hand, could lose Europe outright, which is unthinkable. Just one FIFA on the PS platform against multiple FIFA for the XBox? That could be the thing that kills Sony's dominance there.

It would take more than an EA acquisition to overthrow Sony in Europe. In fact, it's a disservice to just how dominant they are there to even suggest the notion. FIFA is big, no doubt, but they dominate the region for many more reasons than that.

Well, that's the "could" part. It would definitively be a big blow that could start the loss f the market, but only if it is followed by a continued efford. I know so many people that just bought a PS console ever for FIFA or CoD it's insane. If it suddenly becomes exclusively, it would shake the grounds of many european markets.

Nintendo would still get the regular games, most of Japan support. Ubisoft and other non-EA western studios. Sony on the other hand would lose FIFA, which would be a massive loss to their playerbase. Massive. They would literally lose Europe.

Asriel said:
If Microsoft buy EA, it won't be the case that EA's major licensed titles suddenly become Xbox/Windows only. Think about it from the perspective of FIFA and Disney - are these giant entities going to be happy that the audience for their licensed videogames has been reduced by 10s of millions? Or will they pass those licenses onto other publishers who are able or willing to address a large, multi-format audience?

Microsoft are more of a software and services company than a hardware company.
It's easy to forget that sometimes because Microsoft have done a disappointing job lining up in-house or exclusive software for Xbox One. It makes more sense for Microsoft to expand their activities in gaming (as they are doing) by offering their content, their software and services, on more platforms. If they do buy EA, I'd expect the major licensed EA titles to remain multi-format, at least in the medium term. The effect on Nintendo will therefore be minor. It may even be beneficial - Microsoft might be willing to have more EA titles on Switch, by way of helping to create more competition with Sony.

Ultimately, the more interesting question is: what happens with the IP EA own themselves? Would big projects like Anthem, Titanfall, Mass Effect etc be Xbox only in future?

This is true, but I don't know if they becoming a multiplatform company would compensate for the loss of the XBOX live fees. I mean, if they are charging for an exclusive platform and its exclusives, but then making all of their games available to the rest of their competition, wouldn't they be compeeting against themselves?

FIFA profits are bigger than XBox Live profits, aren't they? Can someone bring numbers?

MS have said they couldn't care less about console sales and more about making money through services and games. If they are not bullshitting, I don't think they would keep anything EA make exclusive to Xbox. They might give Xbox DLC, Betas etc first, but that's about it. They will make far more money keeping everything multiplatform than making IP exclusive

Last edited by celador - on 30 January 2018

I mean MS bought mojang but they are still porting games to other systems. Doesn't mean FIFA would become exclusives to Xbox. If not, then the biggest system sellers of the PS4 are gone.