By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should the 'Microsoft Buying E.A' rumors become true, what is the effect on Nintendo

wombat123 said:

My guess at reactions from various console fanbases regarding these rumors:

Nintendo Fans: IDGAF
Microsoft Fans: Salivating at the thought of it
Sony Fans: Shitting their pants

3rd parties (especially EA) have given Nintendo the shaft for so long that no major 3rd party studio/publisher acquisition by Sony or Microsoft would really phase me. If anything, Microsoft has treated Nintendo better than EA has over the last couple of years so this would only be an improvement.

It would be funny if Microsoft bought EA and made two versions for each of their sports games: one with the xbox as the lead platform and the other with the Switch as the lead platform and they just give Sony the Switch version at a higher resolution.

PC: You reap what you sow.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
EA doesn't do that much on Nintendo anyway. In fact, I can see that as an excuse for Nintendo to make their own brand of sports games.

Sony, on the other hand, could lose Europe outright, which is unthinkable. Just one FIFA on the PS platform against multiple FIFA for the XBox? That could be the thing that kills Sony's dominance there.

What do you mean by that? PS4 has 5 FIFA games already.

Besides, it's not as if people buy the game because it's FIFA, they buy it because it's the best football game on the market. Not being on their preferred platform would make that no longer true for a lot of people and PES would just be sat there waiting for all those PS fans to buy it instead.

EA has a contract with FIFA that forces them to release a FIFA game at least once on every platform. If, by the start of the 9th gen, the PS5 gets a single FIFA at launch and the XBox Two gets the yearly FIFAs as usual, that can hurt the PS platform heavily.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

No more unprecedented deals between Nintendo and EA, Nintendo is obviously DOOMED

The tragic truth is, it would become more likely that EA's games would appear on the Switch if Microsoft bought EA.

celador said:
MS have said they care less about console sales and more about making money through services and games. If they are not bullshitting, I don't think they would keep anything EA make exclusive to Xbox. They might give Xbox DLC, Betas etc first, but that's about it. They will make far more money keeping everything multiplatform than making IP exclusive

You bet your ass that they would keep it console exclusive. Mojang would have to have been contractual. Rare stayed console exclusive aside from handheld games which weren't in direct competition. Sony's Playstation is direct competition. Getting FIFA off Playstation would be a massive blow.

Around the Network

Those rumors don't seem realistic. EA would lose a lot of value should FIFA stop being released on Playstation.

Paatar said:
I think if Micro bought EA they would let the yearly sports titles on other systems, but games like Battlefront, Anthem, Need for Speed, etc on their systems only. Which would be pretty smart. I kinda hope Micro buys them. I'm sick of the same old EA we've had for so long.

Actually this. I remember that Microsoft were one of the most supportive Switch third parties at launch. So, probably if they acquire EA it would guarantee annual FIFA releases. Right now, we still don't know if EA plans to continue Switch support this year or not.

I can only see games like Anthem, Mass Effect, Titanfall, etc., especially Titanfall because it did much better when it was Xbox console exclusive, Anthem is a new IP, and Mass Effect flopped hard with Andromeda so this franchise will probably start gaining fanbase from scratch with it's next entry. Sports titles - they won't leave Playstation 100%.

But I think that even if the rumor is true, the main goal behind EA acquisition for MS is:

1) Use Origin as a starting point to improve Microsoft Store on PC

2) Merge Game Pass and EA Access for increasing the value of their subscription service.

3) Make money from EA microtransactions on rival's platforms.

Jabba89 said:

It could potentially be massive if Xbox was the only console to get certain sporting releases. Look how much FIFA sells on PlayStation.

Not sure effect on Nintendo though, they haven’t had much of their content anyway.

Doubt this would happen. FIFA would likely revoke the license if this happened; and even if it didn't, the amount of potential profit that would be lost is huge.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
EA doesn't do that much on Nintendo anyway. In fact, I can see that as an excuse for Nintendo to make their own brand of sports games.

Sony, on the other hand, could lose Europe outright, which is unthinkable. Just one FIFA on the PS platform against multiple FIFA for the XBox? That could be the thing that kills Sony's dominance there.

What do you mean by that? PS4 has 5 FIFA games already.

Besides, it's not as if people buy the game because it's FIFA, they buy it because it's the best football game on the market. Not being on their preferred platform would make that no longer true for a lot of people and PES would just be sat there waiting for all those PS fans to buy it instead.

Uhm...no. FIFA was already is the best selling football franchise since the late 90s. PES only managed to compete with it for some years while being a vastly superior game in any aspect. Right now FIFA is stonger than ever and it doesn't have any true competitor. If the game should stop being released on PS it would definetly hurt the platform, but at the same time it would hurt the franchise itself (at least in the short to mid period) and it would devalue EA as a whole. So for these reasons I think FIFA leaving Playstation sounds really unrealistic.

OTBWY said:
celador said:
MS have said they care less about console sales and more about making money through services and games. If they are not bullshitting, I don't think they would keep anything EA make exclusive to Xbox. They might give Xbox DLC, Betas etc first, but that's about it. They will make far more money keeping everything multiplatform than making IP exclusive

You bet your ass that they would keep it console exclusive. Mojang would have to have been contractual. Rare stayed console exclusive aside from handheld games which weren't in direct competition. Sony's Playstation is direct competition. Getting FIFA off Playstation would be a massive blow.

still think they would be missing out. yes you gain some console sales, but you will lose out on not only games sales, but all the extra stuff too. A lot of money that Fifa makes comes from all the pack stuff they sell after purchase, and a bigger install base means more money in the long run