By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should the 'Microsoft Buying E.A' rumors become true, what is the effect on Nintendo

Ka-pi96 said:
freebs2 said:

Uhm...no. FIFA was already is the best selling football franchise since the late 90s. PES only managed to compete with it for some years while being a vastly superior game in any aspect. Right now FIFA is stonger than ever and it doesn't have any true competitor. If the game should stop being released on PS it would definetly hurt the platform, but at the same time it would hurt the franchise itself (at least in the short to mid period) and it would devalue EA as a whole. So for these reasons I think FIFA leaving Playstation sounds really unrealistic.

Because of all of its exclusive licensing, the same reason it's always been beating PES, and something that it would possibly lose if it went exclusive to one platform.

While this may be true for the reasons why FIFA became so popular in ther first place, it's also true that FIFA has got a fist mover brand advantage, and it would likely take years for any competitor to catch up even with a technically superior product. Also I think it's urealistic for EA to lose the licence, just as it's unrealistic for the series to leave Playstation, the actual FIFA would oppose it since it would mean losing lots of licensing fees.

In the end the event of FIFA becoming exclusive to xbox is deal where everybody loses. EA would lose profits, the FIFA would lose fees, MS would buy an asset that would depreciate right after the purchase. It wouldn't make sense. If ever it would be a bit more realistic if MS buys a branch of EA (some studios, some IPs) or MS buying the whole company but leaving FIFA multiplatform (just like Minecraft).

Around the Network
celador said:
OTBWY said:

You bet your ass that they would keep it console exclusive. Mojang would have to have been contractual. Rare stayed console exclusive aside from handheld games which weren't in direct competition. Sony's Playstation is direct competition. Getting FIFA off Playstation would be a massive blow.

still think they would be missing out. yes you gain some console sales, but you will lose out on not only games sales, but all the extra stuff too. A lot of money that Fifa makes comes from all the pack stuff they sell after purchase, and a bigger install base means more money in the long run

Well, console exclusives exist for a reason. Not to maximize profit by releasing on all systems, but to have a one up on the competition in terms of hardware sales. And in turn getting people to invest in more games on said system. They are there to pull in consumers and grow the install base.

FIFA would make it very difficult for Sony. They would have to rely on other football games (not even mentioning other sports games). Right now it would mean going all in with PES (which isn't as popular as FIFA) or bringing back old IP. Both cases would be difficult.

Other than that, Battlefield, Bioware Games (if they will still be around), the Star Wars license and more. Those are pretty important as well.

Wow, wonder how much EA would cost?

KLAMarine said:
Wow, wonder how much EA would cost?

A few billion. Pocket change for Microsoft.

On Nintendo? None. This would directly effect Sony the most, EA games never sell as well or well at all on Nintendo platforms. EA develops FIFA right...we know what that would mean. This move could actually turn the tide for a while on the Xbox vs. PS4 debate. And the tide from here on out. If this is true, this would mean Microsoft is desperate to make sure they don't lose as badly as they did. Nintendo..eh, they'll keep trucking along with their 1st party and 3rd party Japanese support, like they have since the NES.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
freebs2 said:

While this may be true for the reasons why FIFA became so popular in ther first place, it's also true that FIFA has got a fist mover brand advantage, and it would likely take years for any competitor to catch up even with a technically superior product. Also I think it's urealistic for EA to lose the licence, just as it's unrealistic for the series to leave Playstation, the actual FIFA would oppose it since it would mean losing lots of licensing fees.

In the end the event of FIFA becoming exclusive to xbox is deal where everybody loses. EA would lose profits, the FIFA would lose fees, MS would buy an asset that would depreciate right after the purchase. It wouldn't make sense. If ever it would be a bit more realistic if MS buys a branch of EA (some studios, some IPs) or MS buying the whole company but leaving FIFA multiplatform (just like Minecraft).

They already lost the Brazilian licence last year (or possibly the year before). It's entirely possible that they could lose more, especially if the franchise looks like it's going to massively decline in the near future (due to exclusivity) not to mention that there may be provisions about change of ownership in some of their licencing agreements anyways.

Ok, I understand that. But the bottom line is why would MS accept to pay a hefty amount of money to buy EA if the expect thier investment to quickly lose a great part of its value? Why would the investors of MS and EA respectively accept it?

I predict Microsoft, knowing how hated EA is, will actually force EA to publish their games on Nintendo devices, that way no hardware company can brag that they don't have to deal with EA games.

All jokes aside, if Microsoft allowed Minecraft to stay multi to take in all the profits, why on Earth would they not do the same for EA (or any publishers) games? If this acquisition happens, I don't think it will be an indication of them forcing 3rd parties into 1st party, but rather of the concept that (in my opinion) Microsoft is moving more into a third party position themselves (when they can finally convince another hardware company to adopt Windows OS for their device). I guarantee you if Nintendo went to Microsoft and said, "we would be willing to use Windows OS and Windows Store [which could be steam soon], if you would be willing to merge our hardware and both of us make software for the same hardware," Microsoft would jump all over that. Xbox lost to ps2, the 360 lost to the Wii, and now the One is on a course to get destroyed by the ps4 and at least lose, maybe even get destroyed by, the Switch. They are always either 3rd or a distant 2nd and the investors know it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

EA has a contract with FIFA that forces them to release a FIFA game at least once on every platform. If, by the start of the 9th gen, the PS5 gets a single FIFA at launch and the XBox Two gets the yearly FIFAs as usual, that can hurt the PS platform heavily.

You got a source for that? I guess that would explain why the PSP/Vita/DS etc had FIFA games, but still I'd like to see an official source.

I really don't think it would hurt PS though. Probably the single important difference between the popularity of FIFA and PES is the amount of licences each game has. If FIFA's suddenly selling to a much smaller potential audience you'd expect the leagues/clubs to only be willing to give them shared licences (if not taking them away completely) and then all of a sudden PES isn't at a huge disadvantage anymore.

Not only that, but Sony could also counter by resurrecting their This is Football series. I played one of those on the PS2 and it was great fun so I'm sure there'd be no shortage of people that would jump on that if Sony were to start it up again.

Seriously? What would be bigger than losing FIFA?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

A few billion. Pocket change for Microsoft.

A few billion? More like a hundred

Hundred? It's not a fortune 500 company mate. This is a video game company with a revenue of about 4.8 billion and a market cap of 27.4. Valuation would be much much lower.

Ka-pi96 said:
freebs2 said:

Ok, I understand that. But the bottom line is why would MS accept to pay a hefty amount of money to buy EA if the expect thier investment to quickly lose a great part of its value? Why would the investors of MS and EA respectively accept it?

Because EA are a lot more than just EA Sports? Even without the sports part of EA they'd be doubling (or more!) the amount of 1st party games they can put out. Then there's also Origin. I don't know how succesful Origin is, doesn't seem like it's even remotely close to as big as Steam, but it's probably still more popular than the Windows Store at the moment. So at the same time as acquiring a bunch of studios they'd also be significantly increasing their market share in PC digital game sales, which let's be honest is probably more appealing to Microsoft in the long term than consoles. There's also EA's mobile presence to consider as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/10/10/fifa-remains-eas-bread-and-butter/#61256b662140