By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is VR good or bad? Fad or Future? Answered with common sense.

habam said:
Chazore said: 

We've already got one to two people defending his "excitement", yet where the hell were these people for the excitement of other tech pieces over the years?.

1. Please read the OP. This theard is not made to make new arguments between VR haters and VR lovers. It doesnt make any sense to do those arguments, we will never find any agreement.

2. There was never such a tech piece as mindblowing as VR, thats the simple reason. There were cool stuff before, stuff some people liked, other disliked. Like the Wii, or the Kinect. But you cant compare VR with those stuff. End of discussion.

Haha, you must be young.  The NES was mind blowing.  You have no idea.  So was the Atari 2600, for that matter.  And don't get me or half of this forum started on the first time they played an N64 and ran around Peach's castle.  In my opinion all of those were more revolutionary than VR.  I'm not taking anything away from Virtual Reality, but let's not pretend that it invented high tech.

Around the Network

I was about to ask why all these VR threads, but now see that OP is banned. Good job Mods.

On topic: I would like OP to reconsider and let other people have their own opinion. If one can promote a certain product to the point of fanaticism, then he shouldn't expect to face no criticism.

Let's just take OP's point of couch VR multiplayer being more fun by passing the set around, than playing an actual multiplayer game like Mario Kart. Is that reasonable to think? I say no. I believe most people would enjoy playing the game along.
That being said, why would you want to play games like FIFA, any platformer or fighting game on VR?
What about people who get motion sick with a regular screen, and much more with VR?

All that, and more arguments make me NOT want to use VR, and I'm not a VR "hater" by any means. People just have different opinions and different tastes.

genius16 said:
habam said:

1. Please read the OP. This theard is not made to make new arguments between VR haters and VR lovers. It doesnt make any sense to do those arguments, we will never find any agreement.

2. There was never such a tech piece as mindblowing as VR, thats the simple reason. There were cool stuff before, stuff some people liked, other disliked. Like the Wii, or the Kinect. But you cant compare VR with those stuff. End of discussion.

2. What about Computer, TV, Smartphone.... etc.

I've voiced my opinion in all those 10 other threads already and will keep it for myself in this one...except for one: IMHO it's a total game changer.

Invention of Computers or TVs back then are valid comparisons. They indeed were game changers as well. Smartphone isn't really a valid comparison, since it's more of a gimmick which combined other already available features, imho.

Seriously habam...I see you've been banned for a few days but cool down a bit...you're overdoing it.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 25 January 2018

https://mashable.com/2018/01/24/virtual-reality-gaming-loser-gdc-2018-survey/#o2z3TcWvT5q7

super_etecoon said:
habam said:

Haha, you must be young.  The NES was mind blowing.  You have no idea.  So was the Atari 2600, for that matter.  And don't get me or half of this forum started on the first time they played an N64 and ran around Peach's castle.  In my opinion all of those were more revolutionary than VR.  I'm not taking anything away from Virtual Reality, but let's not pretend that it invented high tech.

I disagree with "more mindblowing". I've been gaming since 35 years and the only thing comparable to VR's impact to me were my first time playing an Atari 2600, my first time playing Tekken on a PS1 and playing Doom for the first time on a PC. 

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 25 January 2018

Around the Network

Kaneman! said:

1. Let's just take OP's point of couch VR multiplayer being more fun by passing the set around, than playing an actual multiplayer game like Mario Kart. Is that reasonable to think? I say no. I believe most people would enjoy playing the game along.

2. That being said, why would you want to play games like FIFA, any platformer or fighting game on VR?
What about people who get motion sick with a regular screen, and much more with VR?

All that, and more arguments make me NOT want to use VR, and I'm not a VR "hater" by any means. People just have different opinions and different tastes.

1. You need to imagine a game like Star Trek Bridge Crew instead. Playing Mario Kart VR but actually being able to talk to your friends playing Peach, Mario etc through the headset. VR can be very social actually. Search Youtube for VR Chat or Star Trek Bridge Crew as an inspiration.

2. If one would imagine playing Fifa in VR, it would feel as if you're physically hovering over a real soccer stadium with the ability to look wherever you want, instead of just watching a static screen. Not sure if that would work, but it sounds interesting. The low resolution should be a problem there though.

Platformers actually work amazingly well in VR. Stuff like Bound is amazing, upcoming Moss works so incredibly well, just as Starchild and even stuff like Super Lucky's Tale or that platformer demo on PSVR shows it can work incredibly well. 

Who wouldn't want to really BE in Super Mario Land instead of just watching it?! The sense of scale is what makes all the difference.

Even though I'm a meat eater I almost feel compelled to make a mock thread just like this one but is being vegan good or bad? fad or future? answered with common sense. Then spout a bunch of nonsense and post a bunch of videos how vegan people are comfortable being vegan and therefore everyone should be vegan. Habam is sure acting like the stereotypical vegan with his VR posts. I won't because this thread is comical enough as is and don't want to risk getting banned. Eh, whatever.

AlfredoTurkey said:
https://mashable.com/2018/01/24/virtual-reality-gaming-loser-gdc-2018-survey/#o2z3TcWvT5q7

Nice opinion. Just explain me one thing...why has GDC been full of VR then?!

The numbers have actually been pretty stable. No need for doomsday articles like that. Pure click-bait.

SegataSanshiro said: 

Even though I'm a meat eater I almost feel compelled to make a mock thread just like this one but is being vegan good or bad? fad or future? answered with common sense. Then spout a bunch of nonsense and post a bunch of videos how vegan people are comfortable being vegan and therefore everyone should be vegan. Habam is sure acting like the stereotypical vegan with his VR posts. I won't because this thread is comical enough as is and don't want to risk getting banned. Eh, whatever.

He's been banned already. No need for backseat moderating like that.

habam said:
Flilix said:
You didn't like where your previous thread was going, so you decided to make this one to start that pointless discussion all over again?

Dude, some people just don't like VR. Accept it.

please read OP next before commenting. Thanks. Not starting a argument here again.

But your thread title states "Is VR good or bad? fad or future? answered with common sense."

What if common sense concludes that it's bad...?

Errorist76 said:
super_etecoon said:

I disagree with "more mindblowing". I've been gaming since 35 years and the only thing comparable to VR's impact to me were my first time playing an Atari 2600, my first time playing Tekken on a PS1 and playing Doom for the first time on a PC. 

I've been gaming since 40 years, and I disagree with you.