By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is VR good or bad? Fad or Future? Answered with common sense.

LivingMetal said:
Errorist76 said:

I disagree with "more mindblowing". I've been gaming since 35 years and the only thing comparable to VR's impact to me were my first time playing an Atari 2600, my first time playing Tekken on a PS1 and playing Doom for the first time on a PC. 

I've been gaming since 40 years, and I disagree with you.

That's what the words "to me" are for. I have dreamt all my life to finally BE in games. It has finally become reality with VR. 

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:

1. You need to imagine a game like Star Trek Bridge Crew instead. Playing Mario Kart VR but actually being able to talk to your friends playing Peach, Mario etc through the headset. VR can be very social actually. Search Youtube for VR Chat or Star Trek Bridge Crew as an inspiration.

2. If one would imagine playing Fifa in VR, it would feel as if you're physically hovering over a real soccer stadium with the ability to look wherever you want, instead of just watching a static screen. Not sure if that would work, but it sounds interesting. The low resolution should be a problem there though.

Platformers actually work amazingly well in VR. Stuff like Bound is amazing, upcoming Moss works so incredibly well, just as Starchild and even stuff like Super Lucky's Tale or that platformer demo on PSVR shows it can work incredibly well. 

Who wouldn't want to really BE in Super Mario Land instead of just watching it?! The sense of scale is what makes all the difference.

1. If you are already in a room with people, why would you want all of them to put on a helmet to spend more time together in a virtual world? Just play Mario Kart the normal way. 

It can be more social for people who are not already together, I imagine, but otherwise it's pointless.

2. Many people also prefer watching matches over TV than actually being in attendance. Hovering over the field wouldn't make FIFA any more enjoyable than playing it on TV. If anything, I want a static camera on FIFA, I don't want to vomit at the simplest games.

Of course, those are just my personal opinions and not facts, I understand that people may think differently, but I certainly don't see all video games turning VR.

This habam guy is so into VR it makes me wonder if he's being paid huge PR money from Virtual Reality companies or something to talk so highly of it. Guess all of his ridiculously religious-esque admiration for VR got the best of him.

Kaneman! said:
Errorist76 said:

1. You need to imagine a game like Star Trek Bridge Crew instead. Playing Mario Kart VR but actually being able to talk to your friends playing Peach, Mario etc through the headset. VR can be very social actually. Search Youtube for VR Chat or Star Trek Bridge Crew as an inspiration.

2. If one would imagine playing Fifa in VR, it would feel as if you're physically hovering over a real soccer stadium with the ability to look wherever you want, instead of just watching a static screen. Not sure if that would work, but it sounds interesting. The low resolution should be a problem there though.

Platformers actually work amazingly well in VR. Stuff like Bound is amazing, upcoming Moss works so incredibly well, just as Starchild and even stuff like Super Lucky's Tale or that platformer demo on PSVR shows it can work incredibly well. 

Who wouldn't want to really BE in Super Mario Land instead of just watching it?! The sense of scale is what makes all the difference.

1. If you are already in a room with people, why would you want all of them to put on a helmet to spend more time together in a virtual world? Just play Mario Kart the normal way. 

It can be more social for people who are not already together, I imagine, but otherwise it's pointless.

2. Many people also prefer watching matches over TV than actually being in attendance. Hovering over the field wouldn't make FIFA any more enjoyable than playing it on TV. If anything, I want a static camera on FIFA, I don't want to vomit at the simplest games.

Of course, those are just my personal opinions and not facts, I understand that people may think differently, but I certainly don't see all video games turning VR.

I'm talking about being online but feeling like you're in a room together!

There are apps where you can sit in a cinema with your buddies and watch a movie together, that kind of social experience.

It's totally unrealistic to assume all video games would turn VR. Why should they?!

Errorist76 said:
LivingMetal said:

That's what the words "to me" are for. I have dreamt all my life to finally BE in games. It has finally become reality with VR. 

If you were actually IN the games, you'd be dead when you die and not respawn. 

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:

This habam guy is so into VR it makes me wonder if he's being paid huge PR money from Virtual Reality companies or something to talk so highly of it. Guess all of his ridiculously religious-esque admiration for VR got the best of him.

He's overdoing it but I can definitely understand him. Most people who are big into VR can, I guess. He's a bit too dogmatic about it, that much is sure though.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Errorist76 said:

If you were actually IN the games, you'd be dead when you die and not respawn. 

Now you're really grasping for straws Alfi.

Errorist76 said:

1. I'm talking about being online but feeling like you're in a room together!

There are apps where you can sit in a cinema with your buddies and watch a movie together, that kind of social experience.

2. It's totally unrealistic to assume all video games would turn VR. Why should they?!

1. That I agree with, that is a nice feature.

2. That was one of OP's predictions for the future. Not sure if it was in this thread or in some other one.

Errorist76 said:
LivingMetal said:

Ok. "To me," I've been gaming since 40 years, and I disagree with you.  Better?

Kaneman! said:
Errorist76 said:

1. I'm talking about being online but feeling like you're in a room together!

2. It's totally unrealistic to assume all video games would turn VR. Why should they?!

1. That I agree with, that is a nice feature.

2. That was one of OP's predictions for the future. Not sure if it was in this thread or in some other one.

It was in another thread...the PS5 PSVR only one, and yeah, pretty much everyone agreed this was highly unrealistic and unnecessary. It needs to be an additional way to play, not a replacement to be commercially successful. It's all about having options.