By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is VR good or bad? Fad or Future? Answered with common sense.

So there is alot discussion on this board lately between a bunch of VR lovers and a bunch of VR haters.

I make this thread for all the people that may be interested in VR or may not be. This thread is not made for the people that already hate on VR or loves VR because their opinion wont change, no matter what type of argument somebody is using. So if your one of those guys, dont waste your time, dont keep reading and get mad/sad/angry whatever. Just leave and this will be alot more peacefull. All the arguments wont come to a good ending anyway, there is no "winner" in internet arguments.

This thread is actually made to all those people that havnt any opinion on VR yet, may not even expierenced it. I just want to do YOU guys a favour and tell you about the MOST AMAZING innovation gaming has ever seen.

I will try to just use common sense to do so. If you think this isnt common sense or logic in your opinion, just dont buy a vr headset. simple. Nothing is forced, I dont work for sony nor oculus nor htc. I dont care if you buy a VR headset or if you believe me. Im just doing you a favour. Its your choice to decide what to do with it.

First we need to ask ourself, is their any logical reason for people to tell/lie others that VR is aweseme when it actually isnt?

Claim I. People are just defending VR because they "wasted" their money on it and dont want to feel bad now.

A very common claim by VR haters. But does it make any sense?

Take into account. Every PSVR player does ALSO has a PS4 and very likely a TV. By praising VR and saying "how its that much better then screen based gaming", he would automatically give discredit to his other stuff. Why should he do this by using haters logic? He would still feel bad for wasting money on a PS4 he doesnt use for playing PS4 games (but just VR games) and/or for his TV. Why should a VR gamer feel the need to lie about his VR hardware and in the same moment discredit his other purchases?

And if VR would actually be bad, why wouldnt he just sell it?

Now we should ask ourself, would there actually be a logical reason to lie about VR beeing bad?

And actually there are some reasons.

1. Motion sickness. A common problem most people get when first trying VR. The big majority of the people will actually adept to motion sicknes after a short period of time playing but if you feel motion sick for the first time and play VR ever again, you have nothing but a bad expierence.

As I got my PSVR and played driveclub VR I also got motion sick and felt bad for several hours. I almost sold my PSVR because I didnt knew to that time that I would adept to the VR over time and overcome the sickness. Obviously many people actually had just sold or send back their VR headset after feeling sick. Those will likely have a negative attitude towards VR. They know what VR is like, but the bad expierence overshadows it. Also as time goes on, you often forget just how awesome VR is. I havnt played VR around Xmas for ~3 weeks and after coming back, I was literally blown away by it once again. In this 3 weeks, the memories I had about VR where much much worse then the actual expierece. Im not sure why this is, maybe because we have used 2D media our whole life and our brain just merges VR and 2D currently. I have heard the exact same thing from many other VR users as well.

2. Never tried it. There is a bunch of people that never tried VR. They may not be able to afford it and have fear to miss out or/and just watched VR content on flat screens. And honestly, most VR games actually do look horrible on flat screens. The VR doesnt translate well. So its understandable they have negative attitude towards VR as well.

Sales of Skyrim VR

So Skyrim is a game available for the PS4 for over a year now. It was already down in price to as low as 20 bucks. It actually was just shortly after the launch of the VR version discounted on the PSN (19,99).

Why do you think would 350 000 people in just 3 weeks with an installed hw base lower then 2 mio units at that time buy Skyrim VR for full price if the non vr version would be 60% cheaper ? Why? Maybe, just maybe, because its far superior? Could thak make any sense?

"When VR is that great, why doesnt it sell dozens of millions of copies"

There are several reasons for that:

- Sales of new (especially not gimmicky but future proof) tech are normally increasing over time and start pretty low. The first Tvs doesnt sold millions of units, the first smartphones didnt either. Even the first consoles or PCs didnt. Many people still havnt tried VR yet, have no idea about it and so arnt interested.

- The hurdle to get into VR are high. Basically every person on this planet can just go into a shop and buy a PS4. In terms of PSVR, its not that easy. You need a PS4 already (so instead of 6 bio potential buyers you just have 70 mio) or buy both togehter (very expensive).

- For most people the asked price is actually very high. Why is the PS4 still selling almost 20 mio units per year, 4 years after release? You would think that most people that are interested in it would just get it in year 1 or 2 or buy it on release. I mean why not? But money is definitly a important factor. Many people may have saved up scince 2013 to finally buy a PS4 this year. So the amount of people that already own a PS4 and have the money to "just" buy a PSVR is even much smaller then 70 mio. 

- Some of the 70 mio PS4s are already broken, so those people cant use a PSVR as well. Some people that bought a PS4 in 2013 may not have used it in the past 2 year, so may also not have interest in a PSVR

- While the PSVR has many A-AA games, those dont have the development and marketing budgets of current console gens AAA games. 

So now you can decide for youself what to think about VR. I dont tell you to go and play it. I personally think most people will love VR, you may not though. I cant know.

Here are some examples of what other random people I found on youtube think about VR though. If you think this videos may be nickpicked, just search for your own:

Last edited by habam - on 25 January 2018

Around the Network

You didn't like where your previous thread was going, so you decided to make this one to start that pointless discussion all over again?

Dude, some people just don't like VR. Accept it.

Flilix said:
You didn't like where your previous thread was going, so you decided to make this one to start that pointless discussion all over again?

please read OP next before commenting. Thanks. Not starting a argument here again.

Something I never see you address in all of these threads...

the aspect of isolationism

I love the community aspect of gaming in a real life setting. I'm not that much of a fan of even online gaming (I know, I'm in the minority) and when I have friends over we are doing more than just gaming. It is a community event even if I'm playing a single player campaign on Mario. I'm not a fan of the concept of VR because I already feel like people have enough problems interacting with each other given the entertainment mediums we have today. In my opinion this VR trend seems to only exacerbate this problem and I'm just personally not on board with that.

That is my opinion. Others have other opinions. You've made your points countless times in numerous threads of your creation. We get it. Now let your words sink in to those who have heard you and let them make an informed decision. Sometimes as a salesperson you can oversell a product and intimidate and turn a customer off from a sell that would have happened if you'd just stepped back and let the process your advice.

So breathe, let people read through the numerous pitches you've given, and check back in a few weeks or months and see if you've made progress. If not, don't take it personally. Not every device will be for everyone for many reasons, many of them out of your control.

habam said:
Flilix said:

please read OP next before commenting. Thanks. Not starting a argument here again.

Come on, it's quite obvious what you're trying to do here.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Something I never see you address in all of these threads...

the aspect of isolationism

I love the community aspect of gaming in a real life setting. I'm not that much of a fan of even online gaming (I know, I'm in the minority) and when I have friends over we are doing more than just gaming. It is a community event even if I'm playing a single player campaign on Mario. I'm not a fan of the concept of VR because I already feel like people have enough problems interacting with each other given the entertainment mediums we have today. In my opinion this VR trend seems to only exacerbate this problem and I'm just personally not on board with that.

Hey dude, this is a good point and good critism. 

It actually IS a problem, but its not the whole story. If you live with your girlfriend, using a VR headset after work will most likely be kind of disrespectfull to her, even in my opinion. At least more disrespectfull then normal gaming is. because you basically both came from work and instead of having time with her, you just straight go into a virtual world. I 100% agree that this ia a big disadvantage of the technology!

That beeing said, its not the full story.

PSVR can also be an awesome entertaining device even if full groups of people are around. Its actually extremly enjoying to swap the headset and let everybody play some VR, especially if those persons may never played VR before. Seeing how amazed they are is alot fun. In terms of that, its even a cooler couch expierence then lets say mario kart in my opinion.

There are also some super fun games, where some people can play on the TV against one guy using the headset. here is one example:

Here you have such a game:

Other then that, VR does also offer a big opportunity of a whole new way of social integration. If you play a multiplayer game in VR, you feel like you are THERE with the other person. Like you would meet in a different world. Its an awesome expierence. There is a app called "bigscreen" where you can meet buddies that live on the other side of the earth and watch togehter movies or play (lets say fifa) in a couch coop scenario in a virtual cinema. It will just feel like your there with them in that cinema. Its really cool!

2 of the most successfull VR apps/games are recroom and VRChat. Basically virtual worlds where you can meet with other people. Its very cool.

This is getting worse then the NX rumour days now.....

Flilix said:

I wish he'd understand it, but he won't.

We've already got one to two people defending his "excitement", yet where the hell were these people for the excitement of other tech pieces over the years?.

I'll say it like I'd already said so in a previous thread. There are 7+ billion people on this planet, not 70m, so there are far more people out there who cannot afford, dislike, or haven't tried/not interested in VR, compared to those that are. That's simply how it is. That's how it was in the 80's and 90's, it's how it is now. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said: 

We've already got one to two people defending his "excitement", yet where the hell were these people for the excitement of other tech pieces over the years?.

1. Please read the OP. This theard is not made to make new arguments between VR haters and VR lovers. It doesnt make any sense to do those arguments, we will never find any agreement.

2. There was never such a tech piece as mindblowing as VR, thats the simple reason. There were cool stuff before, stuff some people liked, other disliked. Like the Wii, or the Kinect. But you cant compare VR with those stuff. End of discussion.

habam said:
Chazore said: 

1. Please read the OP. This theard is not made to make new arguments between VR haters and VR lovers. It doesnt make any sense to do those arguments, we will never find any agreement.

2. There was never such a tech piece as mindblowing as VR, thats the simple reason. There were cool stuff before, stuff some people liked, other disliked. Like the Wii, or the Kinect. But you cant compare VR with those stuff. End of discussion.

2. What about Computer, TV, Smartphone.... etc.