By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long until a ps4 level $400 hybrid is possible?

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Because there's not, and it is above it. Don't get me wrong, games like Uncharted 2-3, Killzone 2-3, etc are amazing graphical achievements considering the hardware they're running on, but they are running on a GPU from 2006 and less than 500MB on RAM, and as such are less technically advanced than the more sophisticated Switch titles

Miyamotoo said:

Exactly, every multiplatform game on Switch runs at higher resolution compared to PS3 version of same games, and in most cases has has better frame rate and improved graphics, Skyrim and Fifa for instance are great examples about that difrence, so ignoring all that and saying that Switch is on same level as last gen is ignoring clear facts.

Developers didn't take advantage of the ps3 when making multi platform games. That's Sonys fault for the awkward architecture but the fact still remains ps3 has more graphically impressive games. 

That isn't a fact. PS3's top games are less technically advanced than Switch's because it's hardware is weaker. PS3 games have lower resolution textures, lower quality effects. Those games you've listed looked amazing last gen, but they have aged:

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

Developers didn't take advantage of the ps3 when making multi platform games. That's Sonys fault for the awkward architecture but the fact still remains ps3 has more graphically impressive games. 

That isn't a fact. PS3's top games are less technically advanced than Switch's because it's hardware is weaker. PS3 games have lower resolution textures, lower quality effects. Those games you've listed looked amazing last gen, but they have aged:

Why even bother with this when you know Kerotan's intentions? He truly believes he's right, even if you present him something such as this. He will always favor his favorite company over Nintendo. The cell will always be some sort of mystical unlimited powered meme processor even though it failed as far Sony's concerned.

i think this one is simple.....

PS4 had a peak power draw (basically when playing games) of around 120W. Its APU was shrunk from 28nm to 14/16nm and that PPD dropped to 86W.

For it to work as a handheld, the exact same APU or something with similar performance has to have a peak power draw of no more than 20W.

So basically when we get to 3/4nm fabrication then yes, we will see APUs that can fit in a switch form factor with PS4 base level power.

Look at the two who AMD just hired to replace Raja as the lead in the GPU department...

https://www.smarteranalyst.com/2018/01/23/advanced-micro-devices-inc-names-two-senior-vice-presidents/

"Prior to Micron, Rayfield served as general manager of the Mobile Business Unit at Nvidia, where he led the team that created Tegra."
"Prior to joining Synaptics, Wang was corporate vice president at AMD, responsible for SOC development of AMD processor products, including GPUs, CPUs, and APUs."

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

I believe Sony will be looking into a ps4 portable in the next few years.
How long is it likely before they could sell a ps4 portable hybrid for around $400?

How much would it currently cost if possible? Any experts in this field I want your thoughts! 

The 2700u is a 15-25w part and it can do 1.66 Tflops of compute performance with its GPU.
its on 14nm.

If they made it run all games at half resolution when as a handheld, and when docked full res. (like a switch) where it can draw like ~25watts,
they could probably make such a device today.

this, but it needs to have a bluray drive. No one is gonna buy the game again in digital just to play it on the go.  If it does not have a bluray player it will be a failure.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
I'm here for the nerdy talk.

I'm here for the theatre.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

This thread is amazing, you guys are showing someone a comparison of the same game running on both systems one at almost double the pixel count on the Switch than the PS3 at a higher framerate with improved graphics overall.... and you are entertaining the reply of "no I think the 720p thing at 15fps is more powerful" you might as well try to convince water to stop being wet at that stage.

Not even from a graphics point of view but a memory / world size thing, look at Minecraft on both systems 1080p/60 (720p on ps3) on Switch but also 12.5x larger world sizes because of the 4GB of RAM in comparison to 512MB, I mean you are literally putting effort into explaining how 1/8th the tech from 2006 is not superior to what is inside the Switch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

COKTOE said:
KLAMarine said:
I'm here for the nerdy talk.

I'm here for the theatre.

lol, that seems to be developing.

Depends where your definition of "portable" ends. A giant tablet is portable.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think it's possible this year. Didn't people here think the switch would be as powerful as the xbox one or even the ps4?