By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long until a ps4 level $400 hybrid is possible?

Battery life and TDP are huge problems, also I don't think current PS4 hardware could shrink so much that could fit in handled in any case.
So PS4 level hybrid is not possible current and its question if it will be ever possible because PS4 APU is quite big and quite power hungry, while Tegra from start was meant to be mobile chip.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 25 January 2018

Around the Network
nemo37 said:

I will begin by responding to the main article. I think it will be a few more years until we get an SOC from AMD powerful enough and power-effecient enough to fit into a device like Switch. Although AMD has made major leaps with the new Ryzen 5 mobile (albeit those are still to constrained to fit into a device the size of the Switch, but the point is that the technology is moving quite quickly). On a personal level, I would love to see a portable version of the Playstation 4 because, as portable gamer (and one with a PS4 but with little free time to actually use it much), it would give me access one of the best gaming libraries anywhere. I really hope Sony does eventually make it happen, even if it ends up being a bit more expensive than the Switch is now (I would certainly buy it day one); though of course they have to look to see whether a higher price would appeal to the mass market.

Kerotan said:

Killzone, uncharted, the last of us, gta v, God of war 3 and many more beat anything on the Switch. 

This is such a flawed comparison. Just because those particular games are not on the Switch (4 of which are exclusive to Sony and so would never appear on the Switch; I could just as easily point to Wolfenstein 2, Doom, BoTW, SMO etc. to make a similar flawed argument) does not mean that the Switch is not capable of running such games. As SegataSanshiro mentioned, the vast majority of games that are available on both platforms (Skyrim, LA Noire, FIFA 18, Minecraft; Dark Souls and Bayonetta 1 remain to be seen since they have not been released yet) perform better on Switch. Based on these titles, one can assume that even the games you mentioned would at worst run on par with or, likely, even better if ported over (obviously though we will never know for sure because KillZone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, GoW3 are all exclusives; GTA V would be another interesting point of comparison if it ever comes).

There are no games to that level on the Switch. It's currently below that standard. With time it might reach it which is basically what the other guy said which was switch is on the same level as last gen. 

Kerotan said:

There are games on PS3 graphically and technically more impressive then switch games so I don't see how you can say its above it. 

Because there's not, and it is above it. Don't get me wrong, games like Uncharted 2-3, Killzone 2-3, etc are amazing graphical achievements considering the hardware they're running on, but they are running on a GPU from 2006 and less than 500MB on RAM, and as such are less technically advanced than the more sophisticated Switch titles.

Sony tried twice to compete with Nintendo on the handheld front. Both times they failed and the last time, got utterly destroyed. They said they were done for a reason. Let it go.

Sony does one thing and one thing well, sell home consoles. They've released four consoles and three of them have dominated. I think they've realized where their strengths are and are going to stick with it.

SpokenTruth said:
Kerotan said:

There are no games to that level on the Switch. It's currently below that standard. With time it might reach it which is basically what the other guy said which was switch is on the same level as last gen. 

That's flawed logic and you know it.  Same game, both consoles, Switch wins every time.  What does that tell you about which is more powerful?

Exactly, every multiplatform game on Switch runs at higher resolution compared to PS3 version of same games, and in most cases has has better frame rate and improved graphics, Skyrim and Fifa for instance are great examples about that difrence, so ignoring all that and saying that Switch is on same level as last gen is ignoring clear facts.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
nemo37 said:

I will begin by responding to the main article. I think it will be a few more years until we get an SOC from AMD powerful enough and power-effecient enough to fit into a device like Switch. Although AMD has made major leaps with the new Ryzen 5 mobile (albeit those are still to constrained to fit into a device the size of the Switch, but the point is that the technology is moving quite quickly). On a personal level, I would love to see a portable version of the Playstation 4 because, as portable gamer (and one with a PS4 but with little free time to actually use it much), it would give me access one of the best gaming libraries anywhere. I really hope Sony does eventually make it happen, even if it ends up being a bit more expensive than the Switch is now (I would certainly buy it day one); though of course they have to look to see whether a higher price would appeal to the mass market.

This is such a flawed comparison. Just because those particular games are not on the Switch (4 of which are exclusive to Sony and so would never appear on the Switch; I could just as easily point to Wolfenstein 2, Doom, BoTW, SMO etc. to make a similar flawed argument) does not mean that the Switch is not capable of running such games. As SegataSanshiro mentioned, the vast majority of games that are available on both platforms (Skyrim, LA Noire, FIFA 18, Minecraft; Dark Souls and Bayonetta 1 remain to be seen since they have not been released yet) perform better on Switch. Based on these titles, one can assume that even the games you mentioned would at worst run on par with or, likely, even better if ported over (obviously though we will never know for sure because KillZone, Uncharted, The Last of Us, GoW3 are all exclusives; GTA V would be another interesting point of comparison if it ever comes).

Show me Doom 2016 running on PS3.

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

There are games on PS3 graphically and technically more impressive then switch games so I don't see how you can say its above it. 

Because there's not, and it is above it. Don't get me wrong, games like Uncharted 2-3, Killzone 2-3, etc are amazing graphical achievements considering the hardware they're running on, but they are running on a GPU from 2006 and less than 500MB on RAM, and as such are less technically advanced than the more sophisticated Switch titles.

Miyamotoo said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's flawed logic and you know it.  Same game, both consoles, Switch wins every time.  What does that tell you about which is more powerful?

Exactly, every multiplatform game on Switch runs at higher resolution compared to PS3 version of same games, and in most cases has has better frame rate and improved graphics, Skyrim and Fifa for instance are great examples about that difrence, so ignoring all that and saying that Switch is on same level as last gen is ignoring clear facts.

Developers didn't take advantage of the ps3 when making multi platform games. That's Sonys fault for the awkward architecture but the fact still remains ps3 has more graphically impressive games. 

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Miyamotoo said:

Developers didn't take advantage of the ps3 when making multi platform games. That's Sonys fault for the awkward architecture but the fact still remains ps3 has more graphically impressive games. 

You could said that in first PS3 years, but not for last PS3 years, games like Skyrim, GTAV, RDR runs on less than 512MB of RAM memory, that's quite achievement. Switch has 4GB RAM memory much newer and very modern tech/architecture, noticeably stronger GPU and much newer CPU, so if we look specs also its obvious that Switch is noticeably stronger, that why evre multplatform games on Switch runs at higher resolution and in most cases with better frame rate and better visuals. All PS3 games you mentioned are linear 720p/30fps games, while for instance MK8D is 1080p/60FPS game, ARMS is 1080p/60FPS game, Mario Odyssey is 900p/60FPS game, Zelda BotW 900p/30fps, Fifa 18 thats 1080p/60fps with noticeable graphical improvements over 720p PS3 version of Fifa 2018 game, Dark Souls 1 Remaster 1080p compared to 720p with terible frame rate...

Since the title of this thread is "PS4 level hybrid" for 400$

I would say it will be possible for a tegra based device to achive that level of performance at that price in the year 2023.

That said, I don't expect Sony to make said device since it would need its own library of games made specifically for it.

And, I think Nintendo will wait until 2025 to launch such a successor to the Nintendo Switch at a much more profitable margin. Nintendo is in no rush and they will be doing pleanty of revisions to keep the hardware selling fast for a long, long, long time.

Not to mention Switch can run 4k and 8K textures, more modern shaders and more of them. Textures in the 7th gen rarely even hit 2k. Many games I believe were 512x512? Playing Wipeout HD on PS4 the game does look great but it's clear it doesn't use higher quality lighting and textures that RMX on Switch does.