By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There's too many versions of games

You telling me you don't want a VR Super Ultra Alpha Hyper Turbo Plus EX Arcade RemixU 3D featuring Dante and a new Funky mode for the low price of 999.99?

Around the Network

It's all about consumer choice, you know. It's a good thing!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

eh it's still much easier than with movies.

3D
Real 3D
2D + 3D
Standard Blu-Ray
Standard DVD
Blu-Ray + DVD
Blu-Ray + 3D + DVD
4k Mastered
UHD
Remastered
Extended Edition
Director's Cut
Steelbook/Amaray
Collector's Edition
Special Edition
Anniversary Edition

and probably a few more.

The first rule is to never buy anything at launch.
Wait for at least a year before buying a game. This way you'll get a package deal with all the bonus stuff and DLC. Plus, the bugs will have been fixed. Plus, the price has gone down significantly. Pure win all around.

Unless it’s a game series I REALLY love (like the $150 bundle for Persona 3/5 Dancing) I just get a regular copy.

I’ve notice that the extras that these special/limited editions give you nowadays are just cheap trinkets and whatnot that just inflate the price.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I don't have a problem with that. Want to play the game? Buy the cheapest edition, most pre-order or "deluxe" extra thingies featured are almost always things that don't matter anyway, like cosmetic changes or small extra missions. Nowadays I just buy the cheapest edition there is for games I want to play but I'm not all too familiar with and for games I know I'll love and enjoy and play the crap out of I spend a bit more and get limited and collector's editions if they're worth it.

Totally agree. I miss the days when a game came out and that was it. It was 100%, finished and complete.

d21lewis said:
DonFerrari said:
I usually buy later and cheap so I couldn't care less.

But sometimes there's content that NEVER becomes available outside of a pre-order or bundle.

*Edit* until the Game of the Year version, that is.

hm how many of them are worth it though? Usually that's only stuff that's worth $1-3.

They mostly get released at a later date or as you said will probably be part of a GOTY edition.
I don't think I ever missed not having a pre-order bonus. And when I have one of these DLCs (mostly through special editions or bundles) I'm too lazy to type in the code to redeem them.

d21lewis said:
DonFerrari said:
I usually buy later and cheap so I couldn't care less.

But sometimes there's content that NEVER becomes available outside of a pre-order or bundle.

*Edit* until the Game of the Year version, that is.

Never really missed those, even though the GT games I bought for PS3 and 4 had cars that were attached to pre-order and things like that... the regular content is usually enough... and when I buy later and cheap I usually go for GoTY versions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If I buy at launch, which doesn't happen too often, I just get the cheapest version.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.