By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X releases in India at 45k rupees - $650

Are consoles more or less expensive in your country?

More 11 42.31%

Less 15 57.69%

Total:26

Link has to upgrade his wallet to hold that many rupees

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
taus90 said:

people in india have been buying console from grey market for ages, it has been the only avenue to buy gaming console since PS1, the only company even dared to enter indian market before 2000 was sega with segamega drive. 

and about my prices I have bought them thats why i m saying, its not up for debate,  all these consoles are imported from Dubai or hongkong, Hongkong ones are cheaper compared to Dubai ones... which costs around 16k to 17k so the final price is 21k, and i know ton of people who buy from grey market and even sony has realized this, hence they are supporting the grey market console which in return encourages the customer to buy from grey market coz at the end of the day its a sale for them no matter where you purchase it from them, thats why they are not pushing PS4 like they are in other countries, they are just focused on increasing the user base and psn revenue, doesnt matter how they come. 

and yes there are sheep who are lazy enough with parents credit card who prefer buying online rather than getting a good deal online, also the price you quoted of the consoles all those come bundled with 2 or three games and gazzilion different taxes. hence the offset. 

I know there are many savvy consumers here who buy consoles from grey markets but even if there are a few of them they are still a very small part of the population. Most consumers don't want to deal with this and many don't know about such markets. Buying consoles in other countries, I wonder what that has to do with Sony's support of customers here. Its bad and they don't try to expand here by bringing some great deals like they do in the major gaming countries.

DonFerrari said:

Valve doesn't even make their own games, they are more often than not exploiting the publishers and devs (same game that is released for PS4 or X1 for 60 USD get a Steam deal very early on and sell for 20 USD). So unless Valve is doing something illegal to avoid taxes that Sony and MS pay, they are exploiting other companies to get their margin, there isn't magic.

Games in Brazil for example. When the conversion rate was 4:1 most publishers/dealers, etc raised the price of the game from R$ 250 to R$300-350, while Sony kept all the games they published at R$ 200 (so 50 USD with tax included), now that the conversion is 3,2:1 the other companies lowered to RS250 and Sony just kept R$200.

If Sony or any other publisher were selling physical copies (that have no geographical lock) for 30USD on India to help improve your market, there would be a lot of grey export to other areas and they would lose money.

India isn't Brazil, but I doubt that in average they are less intelligent or informed, and with google they can easily find what they want... but if you say they buy what they see, I have a bridge to sell to them.

Politicians are pocketing it.

There are publishers like Ubisoft, Konami and Square Enix that sell physical copies of PC games for just $20. ROTTR released here on PC at $18. Consumers see the discrepancy in price of games on PC and consoles and there is anecdotal evidence of people moving to PC gaming from console gaming because of that difference. Now I don't know if these physical copies are region locked but it makes PC gaming seem more appealing.

In every single market PC games cost much less than console, even more because of piracy and Steam deals...

Also the marginal cost of SW is neglible compared to Console, you are just complaining about economic issues that you haven't really looked at and just assume companies just want to screw customers.

Just a small tip, companies like profits, so if they thought they could profit more by lowering the price they would, if they aren't doing is either because sales won't compensate the lost margin or they already don't have much margin.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Thats alot of Rupees in Zelda

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

I know there are many savvy consumers here who buy consoles from grey markets but even if there are a few of them they are still a very small part of the population. Most consumers don't want to deal with this and many don't know about such markets. Buying consoles in other countries, I wonder what that has to do with Sony's support of customers here. Its bad and they don't try to expand here by bringing some great deals like they do in the major gaming countries.

There are publishers like Ubisoft, Konami and Square Enix that sell physical copies of PC games for just $20. ROTTR released here on PC at $18. Consumers see the discrepancy in price of games on PC and consoles and there is anecdotal evidence of people moving to PC gaming from console gaming because of that difference. Now I don't know if these physical copies are region locked but it makes PC gaming seem more appealing.

In every single market PC games cost much less than console, even more because of piracy and Steam deals...

Also the marginal cost of SW is neglible compared to Console, you are just complaining about economic issues that you haven't really looked at and just assume companies just want to screw customers.

Just a small tip, companies like profits, so if they thought they could profit more by lowering the price they would, if they aren't doing is either because sales won't compensate the lost margin or they already don't have much margin.

I'm talking about brand new games. They cost $20 on Steam and $60 on PS4. That makes a huge difference to the cost of a console. $60 is 15 percentage the price of a console. 6 games at full price and software costs are near that of the hardware cost. PS Plus makes that go beyond the initial cost of the console.

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm talking about brand new games. They cost $20 on Steam and $60 on PS4. That makes a huge difference to the cost of a console. $60 is 15 percentage the price of a console. 6 games at full price and software costs are near that of the hardware cost. PS Plus makes that go beyond the initial cost of the console.

And why do you think publishers focus a lot more on consoles??? Also most PC gamers from what I know releases for 40, main reason for the difference is the royalty for the platform holder and another chunk is the store profit (which for digital they keep the same price to not predate their own market). Still I fail to see your claim of Sony or any other console holder trying to screw their customer, as I said it's much more you wanting companies to please you individualy even if they would lose money.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

And why do you think publishers focus a lot more on consoles??? Also most PC gamers from what I know releases for 40, main reason for the difference is the royalty for the platform holder and another chunk is the store profit (which for digital they keep the same price to not predate their own market). Still I fail to see your claim of Sony or any other console holder trying to screw their customer, as I said it's much more you wanting companies to please you individualy even if they would lose money.

PC games release at $20 in India. Yes, that includes physical release. Its called smart marketing, Valve understands that the average consumer in India are teenagers who can't afford $60 games and price games accordingly, and these publishers sell enough volume to make a profit out of that. That attracts people to PC gaming, apart from PC's being required everywhere in a country with millions of engineering graduates each year so all that being said, lowering console game prices would benefit Microsoft and Sony.

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

PC games release at $20 in India. Yes, that includes physical release. Its called smart marketing, Valve understands that the average consumer in India are teenagers who can't afford $60 games and price games accordingly, and these publishers sell enough volume to make a profit out of that. That attracts people to PC gaming, apart from PC's being required everywhere in a country with millions of engineering graduates each year so all that being said, lowering console game prices would benefit Microsoft and Sony.

There is a very big difference between WOULD and COULD... unless you have evidence that by lowering the price from 60 to 20 they would have more profit then you are just making wishful thinking. Because while everyone have a PC, not everyone have a console and most don't buy games in volume enough. Even WW average ratio is 10 per gamer, so it would need to go above 30 per gamer just to keep even on REVENUE. Your math doesn't match, if it matched there wouldn't even be games lying around on the used bin on the stores... besides the fact that with prices at 60 several companies struggles to profit on several of their AAA games and another reason why they avoid PC gaming as a priority, Steam and Pirates take a very big hit on them compared to console.

Also, you know PS4 games are region free right? If they decided to drop the prices over there to 20 (and just to remember you, Sony is just one of the publishers on PS4, and all the publishers are free to set whatever price they want for the game) those games would flood the grey market in every single country making their margins erode.... and you probably also know that the microtransaction, DLC-galore and lootboxes are severely tied to the price of the games and sales (revenue with game launching at 60usd) not being enough to make the project profitable without these shenanigans?

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 09 April 2018

DonFerrari said:

GOWTLOZ said:

There is a very big difference between WOULD and COULD... unless you have evidence that by lowering the price from 60 to 20 they would have more profit then you are just making wishful thinking. Because while everyone have a PC, not everyone have a console and most don't buy games in volume enough. Even WW average ratio is 10 per gamer, so it would need to go above 30 per gamer just to keep even on REVENUE. Your math doesn't match, if it matched there wouldn't even be games lying around on the used bin on the stores... besides the fact that with prices at 60 several companies struggles to profit on several of their AAA games and another reason why they avoid PC gaming as a priority, Steam and Pirates take a very big hit on them compared to console.

Also, you know PS4 games are region free right? If they decided to drop the prices over there to 20 (and just to remember you, Sony is just one of the publishers on PS4, and all the publishers are free to set whatever price they want for the game) those games would flood the grey market in every single country making their margins erode.... and you probably also know that the microtransaction, DLC-galore and lootboxes are severely tied to the price of the games and sales (revenue with game launching at 60usd) not being enough to make the project profitable without these shenanigans?

They don't need to lower it by 66 percentage to make a big difference in perception. Lowering it to $40 liker the price of Devil May Cry HD Collection on PS4 would make people consider PlayStation. PS4 and its exclusives are making huge waves here and many PC gamers want to buy a PS4 just to play all its exclusives but they are holding back because of the prices of games at release. This is on top of the fact that Sony has several franchises that are already popular here like God of War and that are being held back from being as big as GTA, COD and FIFA because of these ridiculous prices of games and consoles. I know the ground reality, I stay here, I've been here all my life and I am a part of the small but growing gaming population so I understand their sentiments.

At $40 the issue of games being ported to other territories is laid to rest. They would cost a lot just to export making prices go over $60, not worth it for any of the major gaming territories. The prices of games is at that margin in Dubai but it doesn't make games cheaper here for those importing from Dubai and the games here are still cheaper in Japan but nobody from Japan buys games from here.

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

They don't need to lower it by 66 percentage to make a big difference in perception. Lowering it to $40 liker the price of Devil May Cry HD Collection on PS4 would make people consider PlayStation. PS4 and its exclusives are making huge waves here and many PC gamers want to buy a PS4 just to play all its exclusives but they are holding back because of the prices of games at release. This is on top of the fact that Sony has several franchises that are already popular here like God of War and that are being held back from being as big as GTA, COD and FIFA because of these ridiculous prices of games and consoles. I know the ground reality, I stay here, I've been here all my life and I am a part of the small but growing gaming population so I understand their sentiments.

At $40 the issue of games being ported to other territories is laid to rest. They would cost a lot just to export making prices go over $60, not worth it for any of the major gaming territories. The prices of games is at that margin in Dubai but it doesn't make games cheaper here for those importing from Dubai and the games here are still cheaper in Japan but nobody from Japan buys games from here.

Do you think grey market use legal channels of import/export???

Also if you are price sensitive you can just wait for the price drop. There is a lot of self-entitlement on "they should put the price at a level I can pay so I can play at release or I won't even buy it 6 months after".

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Do you think grey market use legal channels of import/export???

Also if you are price sensitive you can just wait for the price drop. There is a lot of self-entitlement on "they should put the price at a level I can pay so I can play at release or I won't even buy it 6 months after".

This discussion isn't about me, as I've said so many times. Its about the populace in India. Don't just assume that I can't pay $60 upfront, that's not a lot of money for me but I'm financially stronger than most gamers. Its mostly 12 to 18 year olds who are into gaming in India, they are the ones in need of that price.

Grey market doesn't matter because the cost of shipping and import duties in countries still apply. At $40 that cost on top of the $40 would equate to the retail price of games in most countries anyways.