By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X releases in India at 45k rupees - $650

Are consoles more or less expensive in your country?

More 11 42.31%

Less 15 57.69%

Total:26

I wonder how many units it will end up selling there.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
What are the economics behind releasing a console in a poor country but making it more expensive? Is it all taxes on importing the product into the country?

Wouldn't it be cheaper for someone in India to purchase the console from somewhere else since it's region free.

Making plants for production cost a lot more and the sales are very small to justify. And the taxes are paid by customer in the end anyway.

Still you said the console released for 650 USD and them talk it cost  300... and no Sony isn't making the price just to fuck you over.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

GOWTLOZ said:
GameAnalyser said:

I understand the MSRP in your region. That was well understood and related to. But what does it take for you to create a US or Euro PSN account to claim the benefit? You can still redeem digital vouchers via amazon US, if credit card validations are georestricted.  I reside in the middle-east where I get nothing out locally in terms of discount. We are in the same ship technically, but I do still find the means to access both US PSN and Euro accounts. What you did with your OP was baseless representation/disregard of gamers who are already taking advantage of services even with geo-restrictions.

As I clearly implied, look at the current market share despite higher hardware with higher price...They will have to start reducing the MSRP sooner to sell better.

Consumer shouldn't have to do with workarounds to get the same deal people in another region have. Not all consumers know the way to do it and they shouldn't require. Steam has great discounts everywhere including India. That's the way to do it.

Complain to your government and its excessive taxation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

GOWTLOZ said:
taus90 said:
So many errors in your post, have been a playstation user since PS1, you have no idea how expensive PS2 was in india 32k when in US it was 14k $299 back then dollar was better, and it was only available in grey market, and after the launch of PS2 sony launched PS1 in india.. and near the PS3 launch PS2 was launched so i had to skip PS2 in favor of importing PS3 as it costed the same as official PS2 in india. Blame it on import duty in India

But right now being in the game development scene, I have had the privileged of buying all the console "for work"
Dont know where you got your rates from but
Bought PS4 in 2015 for 25k, Ps4 Pro in early 2017 for 29k, and again two ps4 slim for 21k
and xbox slim for 19k. And Ps4 Pro did launch in india in limited quantity for 39k thats 6k cheaper than xbox one x
and dont know who quoted you 12gb PS3 price.. but its for 12.5k (official)

and the thing is these are all grey market consoles, and the best part about Sony is that they realize that how expensive importing is, So if you purchase an EU region Playstation, Sony will still support it with a half priced warranty, and if you pay extra 1.5k you will get full fledge warranty for 1 year.

Although I agree the PSN here in India, But using a different region PSN is much better, I have two active accounts which i use US as my primary account and a HK one for PSplus and stuff as its damn cheap to buy it from HK.. And always buy games from Grey market its much cheaper. have been buying all the new games at 3k which is around $45.

PS4 in 2018 costs 27k so I don't know where you got it in 2015 at that price.

PS4 Pro is 36k last time I saw it.

Xbox One is 24k.

These are all official prices at retailers and the ones that really matter. Grey markets aren't accessible and even known by a lot of consumers. Official price is what keeps people away from these consoles.

I haven't met a single person in Brazil that didn't know how to buy in the grey market stuff they had interest in.

loy310 said:

Gotta rip somebody off huh MS/India?
Same problem with both publishers in South America, inflate the price of the console 200-300 percent.
Who the eff in these countries are buying these consoles at that price? You got better shit to do with your money guys.

Brazilian government consider gaming a form of gamble so it taxes games and consoles at about 100% tax.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Consumer shouldn't have to do with workarounds to get the same deal people in another region have. Not all consumers know the way to do it and they shouldn't require. Steam has great discounts everywhere including India. That's the way to do it.

Steam doesn't have this problem so the fault lies with these companies. I never said such excessive taxes were right but they should find workarounds for that just like Valve did. There are so many people here that they will make huge money on cheaper digital games.

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

PS4 in 2018 costs 27k so I don't know where you got it in 2015 at that price.

PS4 Pro is 36k last time I saw it.

Xbox One is 24k.

These are all official prices at retailers and the ones that really matter. Grey markets aren't accessible and even known by a lot of consumers. Official price is what keeps people away from these consoles.

I haven't met a single person in Brazil that didn't know how to buy in the grey market stuff they had interest in.

India isn't Brazil. People buy what they see.

DonFerrari said:
loy310 said:

Gotta rip somebody off huh MS/India?
Same problem with both publishers in South America, inflate the price of the console 200-300 percent.
Who the eff in these countries are buying these consoles at that price? You got better shit to do with your money guys.

Brazilian government consider gaming a form of gamble so it taxes games and consoles at about 100% tax.

Hmm, any wonder what Brazil is doing with all that money.

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

Steam doesn't have this problem so the fault lies with these companies. I never said such excessive taxes were right but they should find workarounds for that just like Valve did. There are so many people here that they will make huge money on cheaper digital games.

DonFerrari said:

people in india have been buying console from grey market for ages, it has been the only avenue to buy gaming console since PS1, the only company even dared to enter indian market before 2000 was sega with segamega drive. 

and about my prices I have bought them thats why i m saying, its not up for debate,  all these consoles are imported from Dubai or hongkong, Hongkong ones are cheaper compared to Dubai ones... which costs around 16k to 17k so the final price is 21k, and i know ton of people who buy from grey market and even sony has realized this, hence they are supporting the grey market console which in return encourages the customer to buy from grey market coz at the end of the day its a sale for them no matter where you purchase it from them, thats why they are not pushing PS4 like they are in other countries, they are just focused on increasing the user base and psn revenue, doesnt matter how they come. 

and yes there are sheep who are lazy enough with parents credit card who prefer buying online rather than getting a good deal online, also the price you quoted of the consoles all those come bundled with 2 or three games and gazzilion different taxes. hence the offset. 

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

DonFerrari said:

Valve doesn't even make their own games, they are more often than not exploiting the publishers and devs (same game that is released for PS4 or X1 for 60 USD get a Steam deal very early on and sell for 20 USD). So unless Valve is doing something illegal to avoid taxes that Sony and MS pay, they are exploiting other companies to get their margin, there isn't magic.

Games in Brazil for example. When the conversion rate was 4:1 most publishers/dealers, etc raised the price of the game from R$ 250 to R$300-350, while Sony kept all the games they published at R$ 200 (so 50 USD with tax included), now that the conversion is 3,2:1 the other companies lowered to RS250 and Sony just kept R$200.

If Sony or any other publisher were selling physical copies (that have no geographical lock) for 30USD on India to help improve your market, there would be a lot of grey export to other areas and they would lose money.

India isn't Brazil, but I doubt that in average they are less intelligent or informed, and with google they can easily find what they want... but if you say they buy what they see, I have a bridge to sell to them.

loy310 said:
DonFerrari said:

Politicians are pocketing it.

taus90 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

people in india have been buying console from grey market for ages, it has been the only avenue to buy gaming console since PS1, the only company even dared to enter indian market before 2000 was sega with segamega drive. 

and about my prices I have bought them thats why i m saying, its not up for debate,  all these consoles are imported from Dubai or hongkong, Hongkong ones are cheaper compared to Dubai ones... which costs around 16k to 17k so the final price is 21k, and i know ton of people who buy from grey market and even sony has realized this, hence they are supporting the grey market console which in return encourages the customer to buy from grey market coz at the end of the day its a sale for them no matter where you purchase it from them, thats why they are not pushing PS4 like they are in other countries, they are just focused on increasing the user base and psn revenue, doesnt matter how they come. 

and yes there are sheep who are lazy enough with parents credit card who prefer buying online rather than getting a good deal online, also the price you quoted of the consoles all those come bundled with 2 or three games and gazzilion different taxes. hence the offset. 

I know there are many savvy consumers here who buy consoles from grey markets but even if there are a few of them they are still a very small part of the population. Most consumers don't want to deal with this and many don't know about such markets. Buying consoles in other countries, I wonder what that has to do with Sony's support of customers here. Its bad and they don't try to expand here by bringing some great deals like they do in the major gaming countries.

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Valve doesn't even make their own games, they are more often than not exploiting the publishers and devs (same game that is released for PS4 or X1 for 60 USD get a Steam deal very early on and sell for 20 USD). So unless Valve is doing something illegal to avoid taxes that Sony and MS pay, they are exploiting other companies to get their margin, there isn't magic.

Games in Brazil for example. When the conversion rate was 4:1 most publishers/dealers, etc raised the price of the game from R$ 250 to R$300-350, while Sony kept all the games they published at R$ 200 (so 50 USD with tax included), now that the conversion is 3,2:1 the other companies lowered to RS250 and Sony just kept R$200.

If Sony or any other publisher were selling physical copies (that have no geographical lock) for 30USD on India to help improve your market, there would be a lot of grey export to other areas and they would lose money.

India isn't Brazil, but I doubt that in average they are less intelligent or informed, and with google they can easily find what they want... but if you say they buy what they see, I have a bridge to sell to them.

loy310 said:

Politicians are pocketing it.

There are publishers like Ubisoft, Konami and Square Enix that sell physical copies of PC games for just $20. ROTTR released here on PC at $18. Consumers see the discrepancy in price of games on PC and consoles and there is anecdotal evidence of people moving to PC gaming from console gaming because of that difference. Now I don't know if these physical copies are region locked but it makes PC gaming seem more appealing.