By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The switch might have already outsold the WiiU in just 10 months.

Cerebralbore101 said:
RolStoppable said:

The excerpt posted in this thread is competent. While Forbes contributors do have a questionable track record, there's no problem with the relevant information.

Except that Nintendo said that Switch sales were at 10 million on December 12th. https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-switch-sells-10-million-worldwide If Forbes and the WS Journal (owned by Fox News) are to be believed Nintendo magically sold 4 million more units for the remainder of December. Sorry but I'll take the more reliable source, Nintendo itself. 

The Forbes, and WS Journal articles are nothing more than speculative clickbait, that ignore what Nintendo has already said. 

When Nintendo announced 10 million, that was sell-through. Forbes' estimate here is for sell-in, hence why they referenced the 7.6 million figure at the end of September.

Around the Network

Oh alright, 14.6 millions shipped could be possible.

Well, it surpassed the Wii U in Japan in the first week of January. It hasn't surpassed the Wii U in the U.S. yet, though. The Wii U was at 5.56M at the end of 2016, which is when NPD stopped tracking it, so the Switch needs to sell at least 670k more to pass it, something it'll probably accomplish by the end of this quarter. That leaves Europe and the rest of the world. If global sales sans U.S. & Japan totaled at least 5.37M at the end of 2017, then yes, the Switch had already surpassed the Wii U by the end of 2017. But if it hasn't yet, it's very close to it.

Poor wii u :( amazing numbers for switch nintendo definately turned it around. Though I wonder why nobody picked up the wii u it was a nice console.

My xbl:dx11332sega

My second Xbl:Segasaturnsan

My psn:Segasaturnsan

My Nintendo Friend Code:1302-4985-4999

My Steam:dx11332sega

My youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2EeIs1FP89Oz7du7IAEbqg?view_as=subscriber

Why are we comparing a console to an add-on?

Around the Network

They definitely should pass Wii U LT within the first year, not completely sure about 10 months though

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Switch didn't outsell Wii U's lifetime by December. I should have taken bets on this. Oh well. :D

Cerebralbore101 said:
Switch didn't outsell Wii U's lifetime by December. I should have taken bets on this. Oh well. :D

Do you honestly not understand the difference between shipments and sell-through?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

A Nintendo handheld outsold (or will) their home console. Tomorrow's news, water is wet.

Darwinianevolution said:
Wouldn't Nintendo confirm this themselves, if true? I know they don't like to remind people that the WiiU was a thjing, but selling 15m units in less than a year is an amazing milestone.

They have an annual investor relations meeting at the end of Jan.  If Switch did surpass Wii U already, that event is when they would announce it. 

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."