By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - An argument against virtual console switch

The switch is the console people love to love, i know i do. For me i think one reason for this,  and perhaps maybe overlooked is the e-shop. The e-shop has never been so vibrant with a wide array of quality games, indies are thriving. Nintendo has done a fine job gathering this amazing collection of indie games and as a result indies are finding unprecedented sales success. This sales success encourages more companies to release games for the switch and helps build hype for the system. every week the switch gets free positive publicity when  x indie says the sold x amount of games on switch.

So my argument against VC is that the average gamer only has limited funds to spend on games, when choosing to buy an e-shop game do the choose unknown game about golf or one of the greatest games of all time? Probably they will opt for the guarantee of nostalgia and quality. Suddenly this could lead to indies no longer finding success on switch, becomes less appealing to release games on the system. With this the good publicity storys dry up and the hype for the system start to fade. I genuinely feel VC will have a negative impact on switch, what do you think?

Last edited by bluetoad - on 18 January 2018

Around the Network

I’m just gonna stop and ask why anyone would be against more quality games. Why say no to more titles that people can buy? Even if a few thousand people buy super Mario bros (it’ll be more than a few thousand), you’re getting a lot of profit back compared to the Pennies it probably costed to bring

Unlike a port from XB or WII u there aren’t any drawbacks

If that was the truth indie wouldn't be a thing on emulation heaven PC lol.

if people have limited funds and a choice between mario or Stardew Valley, I would say most people will choose Mario. This takes away sales from indie games and could mean we go back to an e-shop with very little new games. I also think the success that indies are have may also encourage big third party publishers to take a risk on switch. I really wanted a Netflix type VC on switch but looking at the bigger picture the switch does not need VC

...I still want it.

Around the Network

Oppps. I thought this was about VR. My bad lol

I agree, VC would take sales away from indie titles. Just look at how high that Super Mario Bros. Arcade Archives game ranks.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

monocle_layton said:
I’m just gonna stop and ask why anyone would be against more quality games. Why say no to more titles that people can buy? Even if a few thousand people buy super Mario bros (it’ll be more than a few thousand), you’re getting a lot of profit back compared to the Pennies it probably costed to bring

Unlike a port from XB or WII u there aren’t any drawbacks

that and people who were against backward compatibility :P

AlfredoTurkey said:

The argument should be as simple as this. If Sony can only manage to get something like 2.7% of PS4 owners to buy into the concept, what chance does Nintendo have? Their system is much weaker and much less capable. If a better VR system (PS VR) couldn't make it work, how could a lesser one?

Nintendo is right by not introducing it.

The fuck you talking about lol. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

The argument should be as simple as this. If Sony can only manage to get something like 2.7% of PS4 owners to buy into the concept, what chance does Nintendo have? Their system is much weaker and much less capable. If a better VR system (PS VR) couldn't make it work, how could a lesser one?

Nintendo is right by not introducing it.

The fuck you talking about lol. 

Misread the title lol