By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties?

KLXVER said:
Because it takes more than a few months to port a game? Miyamoto said it takes about 1 year.

A year? OK, a waulity port with extended features, improved art assets and new controllers.

I work as a programmer, not games though. But the main difference is, that games include a lot of art (which does not need to be remade for a port) and gets a lot more testing than normal software. So if it takes a year: 9 months the bosses write papers and have meetings to finally decide they do it, 1 month for programming, 2 months for testing. I actually know this from my work, if I hear the first time about a project it would've plenty of time, if we get the go the deadline is nearly upon us.

New games are different though. Making concepts and finalizing your goals alone takes probably around a year for a big game (although this part is low on manpower). This is a creative process.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
I spit my drink out reading the thread title. Most Japanese 3rd party devs are already supporting the system with ports. Bethesda is the only western 3rd party dev worth a damn anymore, and they're giving Switch good support.

I dunno about Bethesda? Based on which metric? Your personal preferences?

Bethesda wasn't on my map before they entered the Switch. I got Doom out of interest how it compares to classical Doom (it's completely different, not only because of graphics, but gameplay is much faster) and Skyrim because I assumed it might appeal to me (it does).

But going after overall sales, revenue, number of releases or stuff like that, than obviously EA, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner all matter more than Bethesda.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

With Western developers, their issue is probably trying to get the games to run properly on the Switch. Though if a game also comes to iOS, there's no excuse for it to not be on the Switch. With Japanese developers, many of them were playing it safe and continuing work on Nintendo 3DS, PS Vita and PS4. They weren't sue if the Switch would be a success. Now that it is, they're going to be doing more Switch games. I think we'll see more major third party games in 2019. However, I have a feeling that we're going to see games that really push the limits of the base PS4 and Xbox One and those games will not be coming to the Switch.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Alkibiádēs said:

We have Dark Souls: Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Shin Megami Tensei V, Project Octopath Traveller, The World Ends With You: Final Remix, Bayonetta trilogy, Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes, Mega Man 11, Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2, Dragon Quest XI, Wolfenstein 2

which of those games are BIG?

Maybe..... Dragon Quest XI, but is not the same as it was and the first one is a remastered NOT been in a Nintendo home/handled before.

As many don't want to admit it, when the next ps5/xbox 2 will release, the power gap will increase even more, By that time, most of the AAA games will not be ported to the switch.

Where are the support of WB with other games than the Lego games? Why not the arkham return collection or a downgrade port of Arkham Knight, Shadow of Mordor?

Where is the support of activision? EA? Real Support of Crapcom? why not a really downgrade version of RE7? the difference will be more than the ones that RE4 Gamecube and Ps2 shared?

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 19 January 2018

carlos710 said:
Joke thread by joke user. Not worth the analysis.

What do you mean by "joke user"?

Around the Network
Megaoverlord12 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Sorry but do you actually have any evidence for sucha claims for Switch also? Beacuse information we have about 3rd party sales on Switch is that they are selling quite good. Actualy Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take Two seeing Switch primarly like handheld is a plus beacuse they can port their games on Switch and to be avalible in full handheld mode also and that gave extra value to those games, we have alredy games like Skyrim, Doom, La Noire and Dark Souls Remaster that were not on handhelds before.

I tottaly agree about your second part, I think Switch will have strong 3rd party support for Nintendo platform and there will more and more 3rd party announcements for Switch, but it will never be on pair of PS/XB

I guess I should have specified Western third parties. Going by VGChartz

Switch XB1 PS4
FIFA 18 0.37m 2.03m 8.12m
NBA 2k18 0.13m 1.08m 1.90m
Lego City Undercover 0.38m 0.15m 0.33m

Lego sold better, but it was originally a Wii U exclusive, so that's more or less expected plus Lego usually sell pretty decently on Nintendo hardware, likely due to the younger demographics. I don't really have many other good examples for comparison considering that most western third party games on Switch so far are late ports, so direct comparison is unfair. Going by the games that you mentioned (and some other late ports):

Switch XB1 PS4
L.A. Noire 0.09m 0.07m 0.15m
Skyrim (First 2 weeks) 0.24m 0.47m 0.81m
DOOM (First 3 weeks) 0.16m 0.29m 0.65m
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (First 10) 0.18m 0.27m 0.91m
Lego Worlds (First 10) 0.15m 0.20m 0.37m
Skylanders Imaginators (First 10) 0.02m 0.14m 0.24m

Now are these most of these bad figures? I wouldn't say they are, but beyond L.A. Noire (for some reason), all of them are unquestionably lower than XB1/PS4. Now is that fair, considering the Switch's significantly lower install base? Again, not particularly. Still the point remains that major third party games sell less on Nintendo hardware.

As for the developers touting high sales on Switch? Those are almost universally indies. You see Team Meat and Team17 happy. Do you see Bethesda touting how successful Doom or Skyrim was? EA with FIFA? No, because they weren't impressive. I want to be crystal clear. I do not think that indies are lesser. I do not think they are not important. They aren't lesser and they are important. HOWEVER, indies need lower numbers for the Switch to outsell other consoles, something that is greatly helped by the lower quantity of games on the platform. An indie selling 10k is a success, 100k massive, 1m unthinkable. But EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix, etc? Needs more than that.

All of this is on top of what many others here have said, that porting to the Switch takes time. If a game started development in 2015/16 for release in 2017/18, most AAA's literally CAN'T have a Switch version ready around launch. 

Thanks for this compilation of data. I must admit, that numbers look better than I expected. Especially that L.A. Noire sold more than on Xbox and half of the PS4-number is a surprise to me. Remember VGC tracks physical and L.A. Noire needed a ridiculous download to play on Switch.

Anyways, your point stands: big third-party games mostly sell worse on Switch. We haven't seen much that started on equal conditions so far (same time of release and stuff like that), so it might be a bit better in the future. But we'll see.

Indies by the way can also produce a port much faster. Technical porting is no big problem, but in a big company resources must be allocated for this. Before the managers decide on that they probably meet ten times and discuss that. And then the allocated team must finish their previous project. At an indie this hirarchy is much smaller (if present at all).

deskpro2k3 said:
I've been saying this for a long time now, Nintendo builds their console with their 1st party games in mind, 3rd parties is like a distant after thought.

And that is actually wrong for Switch, except those really big AAA-productions.

A really big amount of games can be relatively easily ported.  Including many japanese releases, the vast majority of indie games and more. Other games like Destiny 2, Final Fantasy XV or Battlefront 2 probably can't be ported at all or only with more or less massive downgrades.

But Switch dowsn't have that very special architecture Nintendos last consoles had nor is it inaccessible by any means.

I think this year the Japanese companies will show massive support for switch. The switch is so successfull in Japan it will be hard for them to ignore it. With western developer we may get a few surprises and some games like rabbids but sadly nothing major, hope im wrong

Toooo much work to port it over.  Not enough horse power.

They'll come at some point. I mean it took Skyrim about 6 years. We will just have to wait for a bit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.