By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: New 2D Metroid in the works

KilleyMc said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

"On Yokai Watch, the number of games released in 4 years is the problem, the time lapse between one release and the other is what kept diminishing its sales potential, I can't remember any other franchise being milked that hard in recent times". There is: Pokemon from 2012 to 2016 https://www.gamefaqs.com/search_advanced

"I know that VGChartz numbers for software aren't exactly accurate, but they have Echoes at 590k. Lets just say that in reality it sold 400k, do you think in underperformed for what the game is, a remake of what's considered by many as the worst FE, using gameplay mechanics that were already dated since the launch of Awakening in 2012?" Shadow Dragon was a lot worse, story, characters and gameplay. Gaiden can be considered one of the worst but not the worst and sales was a bit lower than Shadow Dragon

"So Metroid Prime: Federation Forces will bomb on anything and Code Name S.T.E.A.M had mediocre presentation, you're telling me that they were new IP's that nobody asked for and for that reason were doomed from the start, why can't Ever Oasis be classified as such? Just to be clear here, I own both Code Name S.T.E.A.M and Ever Oasis and enjoy them, I'm not trying to mock the games. On the other hand, a new IP like Miitopia seems to have clicked well, that one is probably at 800k by now, I dare say, not bad at all" Ever Oasis can sold a lot better if it have a Switch ver also.

Almost all 3ds games last year are already too late for big sales because Switch. You say Echoes in reality sold 400k have nothing to be considered underperformed then Metroid Samus Return is the same. It came out after Federation Force and very late on 3ds when Switch was released already but it still manage to get ~ 500.000 units so what Snoorlax said Metroid should sold a lot better on a user base 70 million of 3ds and won't sell 1 million on Switch are nonsense and premature

Pokemon from 2012 - 2016 has less releases than Yo-Kai Watch, in a bigger period of time, for two different handhelds instead of one. Pokemon is also a long running series, while Yo-Kai Watch has only been around for 4 years. If Level 5 doesn't take a break with the series they'll run it to the ground, and I guess that's where The Snack World comes in.

You disregarded my comment about Miitopia being a new IP that found success while launching late in the 3DS life. That might point that Ever Oasis simply wasn't as attractive, in the same vein as Federation Forces an Code Name S.T.E.A.M weren't. What makes you believe that the game would have done better on the Switch? Why those Switch owners interested in the game skipped it for the platform where it's actually available?? 

Shadow Dragon was the only Fire Emblem released for the DS in the west, it was in a better situation than Echoes from the start. As for the actual numbers, I was just lowballing VGChartz estimate for Echoes, the only number we know for certain are Japan's sales, and I don't think they're bad. About Samus Returns and future sales of the Prime series, that's a discusion you have with another user, I never said that Samus Returns sales were bad nor did I imply that Prime 4 will have a lackluster performance, my only comment on that matter was about Metroid Prime Trilogy underperforming on the Wii, and that's an undeniable fact.

Almost all 3ds games released by Nintendo last year and at the start of this one were cheap cash grabs that didn't even deserve the sales they got. Do you believe that absolute trash like Mario Party: The Top 100 and Kirby Battle Royale should be selling like Breath of The Wild? Switch will affect 3DS sales, that much is obvious, but should Nintendo decide to actually give a damn about what they're releasing in the platform the games can still pull decent numbers, Echoes, Samus Returns and Miitopia have show that.

So you are agreeing with me is all 3ds games (good or bad) sold OK like Samus Return. That is what i mean to Snoorlax by using some examples, if all of them are fine, so is Metroid. But yeah, Snoorlax said Metroid Samus Return should sold a lot more on 70 mil user base and Prime 4 can't sell 1 mil. All games last year have fine sales, so why count out Metroid? I feel you are not really understand my intention

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:

So you are agreeing with me is all 3ds games (good or bad) sold OK like Samus Return. That is what i mean to Snoorlax by using some examples, if all of them are fine, so is Metroid. But yeah, Snoorlax said Metroid Samus Return should sold a lot more on 70 mil user base and Prime 4 can't sell 1 mil. All games last year have fine sales, so why count out Metroid? I feel you are not really understand my intention

My problem with your comments was that like many others, you seem to bu suggesting that support for the 3DS should be dropped entirely in favor of the Switch. I don't share that sentiment, I believe that it might not be a good time to put new IPs on it, but if you use renowed IPs like Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem and so on as more than simply cash grab minigames with zero effort, the games will still sell lots. The only thing I agree with in Snoorlax comments was about Metroid Prime Trilogy failing, there really is no other way to look at its sales. Using that and Samus Returns to project future sales of new entries? Nah.

KilleyMc said:

Do you believe that absolute trash like Mario Party: The Top 100 and Kirby Battle Royale should be selling like Breath of The Wild? Switch will affect 3DS sales, that much is obvious, but should Nintendo decide to actually give a damn about what they're releasing in the platform the games can still pull decent numbers.

Finally someone with common sense.

Some of these guys actually believe that half assed games nobody even cared about in the first place should somehow push good sales because if they don't that PROVES gamers aren't interested in the 3DS anymore and that the 70m+ userbase have all moved on to the Switch in just a couple of months.

While i don't think that SR did decent numbers, it most certaintly did not do bad because of other mediocre games selling low as expected.

KilleyMc said: 

Using that and Samus Returns to project future sales of new entries? Nah.

Just to be clear, i'm not predicting MP4 will do bad numbers based on Trilogy and SR's sales numbers. What i'm saying is that this attitude where fans are okay with Metroid underperforming will get the series nowhere. There is a reason we didn't get a new Metroid game in 5 years. (7 if we ignore Fed Force)

I realistically expect MP4 to do at least 1m which is not great but the norm for most Metroid Prime games. Prime Trilogy didn't even reach that mark on a (at the time) 70m - 80m install base and for a package of three triple A games that's just not good, sorry.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 22 January 2018

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

What i'm saying is that this attitude where fans are okay with Metroid underperforming will get the series nowhere. There is a reason we didn't get a new Metroid game in 5 years. (7 if we ignore Fed Force)

And if the fans weren't okay with that? The games would begin to magically sell better? Because apparently sales are something that can be directly influenced by one individual's attitude?

Uh, yes? If they weren't okay with it they would actually buy the games and sales would gradually improve but that's not what happened with Metroid games not even before Other M. it's the same attitude WiiU owners had with third parties, you don't care about no third party games then you won't get none. How do you show you care? By buying the damn games and less whining.

Of course for somebody who is okay with the low sales of one of the best trilogies ever and the Metroid series in general this will be difficult to understand so I won't waste my time.

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

Uh, yes? If they weren't okay with it they would actually buy the games and sales would gradually improve but that's not what happened with Metroid games not even before Other M. it's the same attitude WiiU owners had with third parties, you don't care about no third party games then you won't get none. How do you show you care? By buying the damn games and less whining.

Wow.

I mean, really, just wow.

I think you greatly overestimate just how many people are diehard Metroid fans or just how many people are here "defending" the game from its poor sales. That's all.

I know that you (and many others) are defending it's low sales with every excuse you can come up with. But really, if there aren't that many Metroid fans to begin with why even come up with such ridiculous arguments: "just a remake" "just a compilation" "just whatever". The fact is its not been doing well for years so of course Nintendo doesn't give us Metroid because the fans aren't there to support it.

If you want to ignore all that and keep blaming Nintendo then go ahead, that will magically solve everything.

Around the Network

Man...there is some serious negativity in this thread over mostly nothing.

Metroid Prime 4 will sell at least 2 million and likely 3 million as MZuzek stated. It's likely it will sell even more if it's a great game.

Samus Returns was on a handheld system and was a remake of one of the most non-Metroid games ever made. It's just not a great sample to guage the popularity of the series.

I think Metroid has gained plenty of fans in no small part due to Smash Bros and the decent rise of the Metroidvania genre as a whole. A proper 2D Metroid title on the Switch with the scope of Super Metroid will sell like crazy, particularly if they incorporate a ghosting feature for speed runs. A pallette swap to downgrade it to NES levels (like they did for Mario Maker) would also be great for the true die hard retro gamers. If the title has cross functionality with Metroid Prime 4 then the attach rate between the two will be insane.

Here's to positive thoughts on the series and its potential going forward.

Last edited by super_etecoon - on 22 January 2018

Mar1217 said:
MTZehvor said:

Well, actually, about that...

According to recently released 3DS NPD sales, Samus Returns sold more copies than Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia did in 2017. VGC has SoV listed at 590K sales, so unless VGC has drastically underestimated SoV's sales to date, that would likely put SR at at least 500K, quite possibly as a result of a strong holiday season. If SR reached half a million by the end of 2017, that would certainly put it on track to hit at least Zero Mission numbers, and probably higher.

And keep in mind these are purely physical sales. If SR pulls the 3DS average of 11% digital sales, that'd take an additional 50K onto that. ~550K isn't a bad place to be for a 3DS remake after four and a half months on the market. Not great, but not terrible sales figures.

Not really, you've used only NPD numbers when you didn't even take Europe or Japan into consideration in your equation. SR sold like crap in Japan as usual while Shadows of Valentia did miles better.

SR barely outperforming SoV in 1 territory doesn't mean that it's sales are almost equal to SoV. Samus Return's sales are approx. at 400k or less right now.

That much is certainly true; somehow I totally forgot that NPD is NA exclusive. With that said, the picture is still a bit more optimistic than it would be otherwise. If SR has managed to sell at least what VGC has SoV listed as in NA atm, then that would be a boost of 40K in sales and place it at 420K. Add in the average 11% in digital sales and SR is likely hovering around 450K pre holiday season.

Please let it be made in Vanillaware-style 2D

I LOVE ICELAND!

KilleyMc said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

My problem with your comments was that like many others, you seem to bu suggesting that support for the 3DS should be dropped entirely in favor of the Switch. I don't share that sentiment, I believe that it might not be a good time to put new IPs on it, but if you use renowed IPs like Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem and so on as more than simply cash grab minigames with zero effort, the games will still sell lots. The only thing I agree with in Snoorlax comments was about Metroid Prime Trilogy failing, there really is no other way to look at its sales. Using that and Samus Returns to project future sales of new entries? Nah.

No, 3ds no need to be dropped entirely , both 3ds and Switch can co-exist together, i own both so which system have the game is fine to me. I use many 3ds games sales last year to show if Metroid sell around 500.000 is bad then all 3ds games last year sold bad too, but sales of all games are acceptable then so is Metroid. Metroid Prime Trilogy failing, i'm not sure about the exact reason but one of them is Metroid 1 & 2 were on GC and Wii was backward compatible with GC games and controls. Many gamers also dislike motion control so after they bough Prime 3, they have no reason to repurchase 1 & 2 with motion control. But i can agree with Snoorlax one thing: low sales is what make people have to wait a quite long time for a new proper Metroid game

HoangNhatAnh said:

No, 3ds no need to be dropped entirely , both 3ds and Switch can co-exist together, i own both so which system have the game is fine to me. I use many 3ds games sales last year to show if Metroid sell around 500.000 is bad then all 3ds games last year sold bad too, but sales of all games are acceptable then so is Metroid. Metroid Prime Trilogy failing, i'm not sure about the exact reason but one of them is Metroid 1 & 2 were on GC and Wii was backward compatible with GC games and controls. Many gamers also dislike motion control so after they bough Prime 3, they have no reason to repurchase 1 & 2 with motion control. But i can agree with Snoorlax one thing: low sales is what make people have to wait a quite long time for a new proper Metroid game

Well, you kinda tried to downplay the sales of other 3DS games without looking to the context in our discussion, it's easy to get the wrong idea from that.  3DS doesn't need to be dropped at all, what it needs is actual support from Nintendo, unlike what happened in 2017.

Metroid Prime is an anomaly among Nintendo's IPs, they don't have anything else similar to it and is one of their few game that can actually attract non-Nintendo gamers, the marketing push that the company is willing to give the game will be crucial for its sales. Living in a country where Nintendo is almost a non-existent now, I can't tell how it was for Prime Trilogy.