By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: New 2D Metroid in the works

If it is true, I don't want another remake, I want a brand new 2D Metroid!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

We might get 3 core Metroid games in 3 years after a decade drought. When it rains it pours for this franchise.

Snoorlax said:

No it did not do well, currently it still hasn't reached 500k in sales and do I need to remind you that it's not a remaster but a remake on top of that it's essentially an entirely new game and even if it was just a remaster it doesn't make it a cheap project by any means, this is supposed to be a triple A title not some indie game.

Metroid never was a cash cow but that still doesn't excuse the terrible sales figures for a 3DS game fans "have been waiting for" we are lucky Sakamoto hasn't giving up on 2D Metroid because Nintendo sure doesn't give a crap about it. I'll say it again Samus Returns sold bad stop using the same old excuses and buy the damn game.

Well, actually, about that...

According to recently released 3DS NPD sales, Samus Returns sold more copies than Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia did in 2017. VGC has SoV listed at 590K sales, so unless VGC has drastically underestimated SoV's sales to date, that would likely put SR at at least 500K, quite possibly as a result of a strong holiday season. If SR reached half a million by the end of 2017, that would certainly put it on track to hit at least Zero Mission numbers, and probably higher.

And keep in mind these are purely physical sales. If SR pulls the 3DS average of 11% digital sales, that'd take an additional 50K onto that. ~550K isn't a bad place to be for a 3DS remake after four and a half months on the market. Not great, but not terrible sales figures.

Snoorlax said:
Miyamotoo said:

Those games are not Indie games but they are not AAA games also, again we talking about remake of 2D game on 3DS, thats dont have anuthing with AAA or big expansive project, we talking about small and cheap project, big and expansive project is Metroid Prime 4 for Switch.

No point in arguing any further but go ahead and keep lying to yourself that SR did good numbers.

You still don't explain to me why all 3ds games so bad last year

HoangNhatAnh said:
Snoorlax said:

No point in arguing any further but go ahead and keep lying to yourself that SR did good numbers.

You still don't explain to me why all 3ds games so bad last year

Uh, because somehow the sales of other games directly impact the sales of SR? This is not about other games it's about SR and while your at it please explain to me why Prime Trilogy sold just as bad as SR while it released in the Wii's prime days.

Around the Network

Hopefully for 3DS, the platform deserves more love, Nintendo's support for it was lame last year and their schedule for 2018 is looking completely appalling so far. Still, the one game that my 3DS is lacking is Advance Wars...

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

Uh, because somehow the sales of other games directly impact the sales of SR? This is not about other games it's about SR and while your at it please explain to me why Prime Trilogy sold just as bad as SR while it released in the Wii's prime days.

Because you apparently don't really understand the meaning of circumstance.

Of course it matters how much other 3DS games have sold last year, because if they all do underwhelming numbers that means the userbase is mostly done buying new games and as such it makes sense that Samus Returns would also suffer as a result. Prime Trilogy was also never going to sell too well, for incredibly obvious reasons - it's just a compilation, most people who already owned the 3 games wouldn't bother with it -, and also because it was undershipped. The Wii being in its prime days means Nintendo wouldn't care to spend money on marketing a Trilogy release of a 2m+ seller (at best) franchise, if they were also making loads of casual games they knew would sell dozens of millions if advertised correctly, which they did.

Also Prime Trilogy being a compilation, I'm pretty sure it was quite profitable as they didn't spend much money making it. Samus Returns was obviously a bigger investment, but still far from being a high-budget game, as it is a 3DS game and those are cheap to make in general, especially in this day and age. That, and I'm sure Nintendo themselves knew this wasn't going to do gangbusters (it had everything going against it, you'd have to be incredibly blind to not realize that), so they prepared accordingly.

Excuse me.

First off the circumstance was that a bunch of 3DS games released last year were a bunch of spin-offs, most of which got mixed-to-fair reviews and most people were'nt really excited about to begin with. Despite all that did you read the recent article? 3DS had some of it's best months last year.

SR is a remake of a game most people haven't even played so "it's just a remake" argument doesn't cut it, after all it did generate hype because SR is essentially a new game. It received more than favorable reviews, won awards and was showed during multiple directs, even it's E3 video (which was shown after E3) got over 2m views. Here is the game, where are the whining fans?

Remake or not, SR is the Metroid game fans were asking for all these years, now we finally got it and it sells crap yet here you are defending it then after MP4 does just as bad you'll be the first bitching on how Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid.

I thought my earlier comment was just a joke but damn i didn't even have to try. By your logic compilations, HD remasters or remakes don't do well because most people already played them... First of why would Nintendo even make an updated port if it wasn't going to do well? Where were you last generation when updated ports, HD collections and remasters was the trend, living under a rock? When even a 3DS remake of a 18 year old Zelda game does better than Prime Trilogy it says a lot more about it's fanbase than the game itself. You of all people here should be much smarter than that dude.

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

Remake or not, SR is the Metroid game fans were asking for all these years, now we finally got it and it sells crap yet here you are defending it then after MP4 does just as bad you'll be the first bitching on how Nintendo doesn't care about Metroid.

This is all I need to quote. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and it shows. I'm not "defending" Samus Returns because it is widely recognized as a great game so there's nothing I need to defend it from, other than a random dude on the internet insisting that 500k is somehow "crap" sales for what this game is (and by the way it'll sell considerably more than 500k). Then you go on to make a comparison to Prime 4, I mean... do you seriously believe Prime 4 will sell under a million? Like, for real?

Yes you are, you're defending it's low sales with the same old "just a remake" excuse. I was obviously referring to it's sales not it's reception. When did i ever compare this game to Prime 4, i'm just stating that after Prime 4 happens to sell just as bad then you'll start defending it's low sales and bitch and moan as usual.

Please reread before responding or just don't if you don't have anything worthwhile to continue the discussion. btw Yes, i'm just a random dude on the internet, who are you? Michael Pachter?

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 20 January 2018

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

Yes you are, you're defending it's low sales with the same old "just a remake" excuse. I was obviously referring to it's sales not it's reception. When did i ever compare this game to Prime 4, i'm just stating that after Prime 4 happens to sell just as bad then you'll start defending it's low sales and bitch and moan as usual.

Please reread before responding or just don't if you don't have anything worthwhile to continue the discussion. btw Yes, i'm just a random dude on the internet, who are you? Michael Pachter?

I'm a dude who understands how sales work to some extent and can control my expectations based on circumstance. If Prime 4 sells 500k there will be no excuse, that'll be seen as a big failure because it's a rather high-budget game, a wildly anticipated sequel to one of the greatest trilogies of all time, and coming out probably at the peak of popularity of a very popular console.

See the differences here? Samus Returns isn't high-budget. It isn't ambitious. And it came out at a time the 3DS's userbase just didn't care anymore - you talk about 3DS having had a great December in the US, but that's hardware sales, the software sales haven't stopped slowing down and they have been very low for pretty much every recent game. It's clear to see even in this forum, you see people left and right saying they didn't buy the game only because it's on the 3DS, even people who would normally go out of their way to get a Metroid game. The appeal just wasn't there, and it never was. I'm not "giving excuses" here because this game has sold very much exactly how I expected it to, I always said 1m was a stretch and 500k was the realistic target.

For Prime 4, 3m is a stretch and 2m is a realistic target.

I'm a dude who understands how sales work to some extent and can control my expectations based on circumstance.

Ok, so you are Michael Pachter good let's discuss your predictions.

If Prime 4 sells 500k there will be no excuse, that'll be seen as a big failure because it's a rather high-budget game,

How do you know if it's a big budget game i mean all we got was a MP4 logo and that's it... no developer, in game footage, no release date, nothing. But since this is Metroid Prime let's assume you're right about that.

a wildly anticipated sequel to one of the greatest trilogies of all time

Interesting how one of the greatest trilogies of all time managed to sell so low on the frickin Wii yet here you are justifyng it's low sales merely because it's a compilation that everybody has already played and here you expect it's sequel, which might end up being something totally different for all we know, to do good numbers.

See the differences here? Samus Returns isn't high-budget. It isn't ambitious.

So i can agree on that SR did not have the biggest budget but not ambitious? Dude how many times do i need to tell you that the game basically reinvented itself. Yes, it's a 2.5D sidescroller but NOBODY cared about Metroid 2, that game died with the Gameboy and this game (oficially) revived interest in it's legacy. It is definitely ambitious for it's relatively low budget, SR has not only achieved great reviews and awards but has surpassed the original in almost every detail and gave the franchise a fresh new entry in 2.5D style... And once again, what the hell do you know about Prime 4 that we don't? It's ambitious? How? Did you play it? You working at Nintendo? Stop making statements you don't know shit about.

you talk about 3DS having had a great December in the US, but that's hardware sales

So are you saying that systems sells systems or that games sells systems? C'mon Pach you're better than this.

500k was the realistic target.

Yet SR still hasn't reached that target after 4 months on a handheld with a 70m+ growing userbase.

Sorry to burst your bubble but looking at Metroid's sales record only 2 Metroid games have passed the 2m sales the rest of them sell on average between 1m 1,5m. So a more realistic target would be 1m and 2m stretch.

In all seriousness i think you're trying way too hard to justify SR's numbers, of course nobody expected it to be a sales cow but it definitely could have been another Fire Emblem Awakening that revived mainstream interest in the series as a whole but nope, you're okay with it's dissapointing numbers amd with that attitude Metroid will never grow as a series.

But hey keep moaning at Nintendo when they don't celebrate Metroid's anniversary instead of buying the games, that will definitely help.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 20 January 2018

mZuzek said:
Snoorlax said:

I'm a dude who understands how sales work to some extent and can control my expectations based on circumstance.

Ok, so you are Michael Pachter good let's discuss your predictions.

If Prime 4 sells 500k there will be no excuse, that'll be seen as a big failure because it's a rather high-budget game,

How do you know if it's a big budget game i mean all we got was a MP4 logo and that's it... no developer, in game footage, no release date, nothing. But since this is Metroid Prime let's assume you're right about that.

a wildly anticipated sequel to one of the greatest trilogies of all time

Interesting how one of the greatest trilogies of all time managed to sell so low on the frickin Wii yet here you are justifyng it's low sales merely because it's a compilation that everybody has already played and here you expect it's sequel, which might end up being something totally different for all we know, to do good numbers.

See the differences here? Samus Returns isn't high-budget. It isn't ambitious.

So i can agree on that SR did not have the biggest budget but not ambitious? Dude how many times do i need to tell you that the game basically reinvented itself. Yes, it's a 2.5D sidescroller but NOBODY cared about Metroid 2, that game died with the Gameboy and this game (oficially) revived interest in it's legacy. It is definitely ambitious for it's relatively low budget, SR has not only achieved great reviews and awards but has surpassed the original in almost every detail and gave the franchise a fresh new entry in 2.5D style... And once again, what the hell do you know about Prime 4 that we don't? It's ambitious? How? Did you play it? You working at Nintendo? Stop making statements you don't know shit about.

you talk about 3DS having had a great December in the US, but that's hardware sales

So are you saying that systems sells systems or that games sells systems? C'mon Pach you're better than this.

500k was the realistic target.

Yet SR still hasn't reached that target after 4 months on a handheld with a 70m+ growing userbase.

Sorry to burst your bubble but looking at Metroid's sales record only 2 Metroid games have passed the 2m sales the rest of them sell on average between 1m 1,5m. So a more realistic target would be 1m and 2m stretch.

In all seriousness i think you're trying way too hard to justify SR's numbers, of course nobody expected it to be a sales cow but it definitely could have been another Fire Emblem Awakening that revived mainstream interest in the series as a whole but nope, you're okay with it's dissapointing numbers amd with that attitude Metroid will never grow as a series.

But hey keep moaning at Nintendo when they don't celebrate Metroid's anniversary instead of buying the games, that will definitely help.

I... can't even reply to this. Almost all of your points either make no sense, are based on random assumptions about myself, or are just plain wrong. You're embarassing yourself, dude. That's all.

Yet here you are replying, contradiction? If you ain't got nothing to add then don't...