By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After last night, I have a confession to make...

Say it ain't so.

Around the Network
zygote said:
Darwinianevolution said:
I've played the demo, and I'm not convinced. Maybe a bit too grindy for me, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll wait for a heavy digital discount.

I think you have to be ready to play one of those games.  After the start/stop linear action of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it is nice to have a more relaxed creation experience.  I understand that portion is mainly tutorial driven, but I'm curious where all it will go and how it will balance freedom and story.

It's not exactly that. it's just it's taking too much to level up from level 1 to level 3, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The space they're giving me to buil the city is too small and the only way to grind to that level is making 5 or 6 of the same three rooms I can make.

Also, I just got Skyrim, and it's eating my time away. Again. :P

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

zygote said:

I'm going to have to buy Dragon Quest Builders.   I played through the demo for over an hour before it ended and got invested.  I wasn't expecting to like it too much but it was relaxing, and I like creation aspects to games.  I like that there is quite a bit of story element and the graphics and enemy options are much more developed than Minecraft, it's mature counterpart.  Sleeper hit?  Guilty pleasure?  I don't know, but I foresee this taking a bit more of my time than some of the more obvious choices.

Same for me. By the time I was building the teleport portal I had forgotten it is a demo and was dissappointed it ended. And I was shocked to learn how long I have still to wait for the release.

I don't exactly know why it works for me. Probably because it is the building with actual goals. And that you build a city with other characters that are cute and have their own personalities.

Anyways, building is so much fun. I turned the cave with the treasure chest into another base, blocking out rooms and setting up a kitchen and one of these tree stumps that you can craft on, so that the basic crafting is possible. A sleeping mattress too, obviously.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

zygote said:

I'm going to have to buy Dragon Quest Builders.   I played through the demo for over an hour before it ended and got invested.  I wasn't expecting to like it too much but it was relaxing, and I like creation aspects to games.  I like that there is quite a bit of story element and the graphics and enemy options are much more developed than Minecraft, it's mature counterpart.  Sleeper hit?  Guilty pleasure?  I don't know, but I foresee this taking a bit more of my time than some of the more obvious choices.

Had the same experience when I first played the demo on the PS4, but for some reason I did not buy the game, but now that I can play the game on my Switch(could have bought it on my Vita but it died) with its portability, I won't let this pass again.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Expected more out of thread. Left disappointed. Jk.

Great game. Definitely worth playing.

Around the Network
Nem said:
I was expecting something more spicy. xD

in the Nintendo section lol?

I was wondering if I should wait for DQB2 but after playing the demo, I'm probably going to get a copy of this game :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

zygote said:
I haven't played a Dragon Quest game since the NES when it was Dragon Warrior, but the design choices made since then are relatively charming. I'll probably pick up XI too.

The first Dragon Warrior should be renamed Grinding Warrior. Holy fuck was that the mother of all grinding games. Kill enemy, run around in a square, kill enemy, run around in a square (two hours later) ok... ready to continue game now. 

Fuck...

Darwinianevolution said:
zygote said:

I think you have to be ready to play one of those games.  After the start/stop linear action of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it is nice to have a more relaxed creation experience.  I understand that portion is mainly tutorial driven, but I'm curious where all it will go and how it will balance freedom and story.

It's not exactly that. it's just it's taking too much to level up from level 1 to level 3, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The space they're giving me to buil the city is too small and the only way to grind to that level is making 5 or 6 of the same three rooms I can make.

Also, I just got Skyrim, and it's eating my time away. Again. :P

I think it will open up. There are houses you can actually build away from the city and I'm sure there are other city location and bigger enemies and resources.  I doubt it will be like that the entire game.  And if it takes that long to go to level 2, just imagine how long of a game it could be. I feel it is going to be like an elaborate RPG/adventure game, and all the expectations therein, but built from the minecraft mechanic.  Where they draw the line and put limitations and where they allow freedom will be interesting to see. 

Yeah Skyrim will do that. ha.  Totally understand.

Mnementh said:
zygote said:

Same for me. By the time I was building the teleport portal I had forgotten it is a demo and was dissappointed it ended. And I was shocked to learn how long I have still to wait for the release.

I don't exactly know why it works for me. Probably because it is the building with actual goals. And that you build a city with other characters that are cute and have their own personalities.

Anyways, building is so much fun. I turned the cave with the treasure chest into another base, blocking out rooms and setting up a kitchen and one of these tree stumps that you can craft on, so that the basic crafting is possible. A sleeping mattress too, obviously.

Exactly how I felt.  It's just long enough and engaging to make you forget it is a demo.  Any demo that makes you forget you are playing one is a game worth a purchase I think.