By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Is Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Soundwave said:

Luke isn't quite a Gary Stu, but he's pretty damn close.

His character is basically the equivalent of a farm boy practising basketball for 45 minutes with a coach, learning a few moves, and then going on to hit the game winning shot in the NBA Finals over LeBron James a day later.

He gets a few pointers from Obi-Wan and then is able to out maneuver Darth Vader and blow up the Death Star.

This stuff doesn't make sense if you really want to over analyze it.

When does Luke outmaneuver Vader? From what I recall of the movie, when Vader enters the trench, he shoots down both of Luke's wingmen and second before he shoots down Luke as well, Han comes in and saves the day by shooting Vader with the Millenium Falcon. Luke did nothing. He was a sitting duck.

Or were you talking earlier when Vader was distracted and stalled by his former master Obi Wan? 

Soundwave said:
Farsala said:
A lot of you guys seem to make the mistake of different universe.

Harry Potter and Neo are in their own universe, Rey is in the Star Wars Universe.

1. Even if Harry Potter is a Mary Sue (he's not) , it doesn't matter because he has always been the MC of Harry Potter Universe.

2. Even if Neo is a Mary Sue when he becomes the chosen one, it doesn't matter because well duh the chosen one is the strongest.

3. But in Star Wars the MCs were not Mary Sue's, and even if they had plot conveniences then it was explained and they were always shown to have flaws. Rey is not the only MC of the Star Wars universe, so Rey should abide by the laws given to the other MCs.

So every main character in Star Wars basically has to be Luke's template? Says who? The rules reset with each trilogy, each new main character is their own deal. 

If JK Rowling wants to make a new set of books in the Harry Potter universe with a new main character, said character can be whatever she wants him/her to be, in fact it would be boring if she just did Harry 2.0. 

This isn't about making Rey a Luke copy. It's about making Rey interesting. Mary Sues are boring. If you are going to make a mary sue, you need to make them have a very good/interesting personality. Think of One Punch man. When watching/reading that I know there is a 0% chance that he is going to be challenged at all. He is a walkign god. But they made his character or the story interesting/fun. There isn't supposed to be a sense of danger with him. YOu are supposed to enjoy his overpoweredness come in and OHKO whoever as a joke. 

But in Star Wars, you have Rey who is able to do everything and beat everyone and not take a lick of damage (I attribute that no damage part to her being a female. Lots of shows/movies don't liek to show a woman getting beat up/bloody/ect). But just her overpoweredness makes it lose its sense of danger. Sure you knew Luke wasn't goign to ever die in the Original Trilogy, but you still didn't know if he was going to win this fight or not. With Rey, you always know she is going to come out ahead. 

It reminds me of watching prequels of anything. They tend to be not that great because you know how its going to end. You knew Anakin was going to turn into Vader. You knew that Palpatine was going to be the emperor. You knew that Bilbo survives and comes back with the ring. Ect. It sort of makes the movie lose something. Mary Sues/Gary Stu's bring that same problem to their movies. You sort of lose this suspension of belief in the movie cause you have this walking cheat code. 

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Soundwave said:

His character is basically the equivalent of a farm boy practising basketball for 45 minutes with a coach, learning a few moves, and then going on to hit the game winning shot in the NBA Finals over LeBron James a day later.

He gets a few pointers from Obi-Wan and then is able to out maneuver Darth Vader and blow up the Death Star.

When does Luke outmaneuver Vader? From what I recall of the movie, when Vader enters the trench, he shoots down both of Luke's wingmen and second before he shoots down Luke as well, Han comes in and saves the day by shooting Vader with the Millenium Falcon. Luke did nothing. He was a sitting duck.

Or were you talking earlier when Vader was distracted and stalled by his former master Obi Wan? 

Soundwave said:

So every main character in Star Wars basically has to be Luke's template? Says who? The rules reset with each trilogy, each new main character is their own deal. 

If JK Rowling wants to make a new set of books in the Harry Potter universe with a new main character, said character can be whatever she wants him/her to be, in fact it would be boring if she just did Harry 2.0. 

This isn't about making Rey a Luke copy. It's about making Rey interesting. Mary Sues are boring. If you are going to make a mary sue, you need to make them have a very good/interesting personality. Think of One Punch man. When watching/reading that I know there is a 0% chance that he is going to be challenged at all. He is a walkign god. But they made his character or the story interesting/fun. There isn't supposed to be a sense of danger with him. YOu are supposed to enjoy his overpoweredness come in and OHKO whoever as a joke. 

But in Star Wars, you have Rey who is able to do everything and beat everyone and not take a lick of damage (I attribute that no damage part to her being a female. Lots of shows/movies don't liek to show a woman getting beat up/bloody/ect). But just her overpoweredness makes it lose its sense of danger. Sure you knew Luke wasn't goign to ever die in the Original Trilogy, but you still didn't know if he was going to win this fight or not. With Rey, you always know she is going to come out ahead. 

It reminds me of watching prequels of anything. They tend to be not that great because you know how its going to end. You knew Anakin was going to turn into Vader. You knew that Palpatine was going to be the emperor. You knew that Bilbo survives and comes back with the ring. Ect. It sort of makes the movie lose something. Mary Sues/Gary Stu's bring that same problem to their movies. You sort of lose this suspension of belief in the movie cause you have this walking cheat code. 

To be honest I think the new Star Wars trilogy has dual main characters - Kylo and Rey and they are pretty literally tied to each other at this point. 

Everyone knows the Titanic sinks too, didn't stop that movie from becoming the biggest film of the modern era. 

It's hilarious how in TLJ they attempt to pass Rey off as "nobody special" after 2 movies of her character basically being a Super Saiyan Mary Sue and presumed to be the next in a long line of Jedi masters or related to one a la Kenobi or Skywalker.  Apparently it's now the case that literally any one can be a Jedi or wield the Force, yet somehow in a universe of billions they're down to the LAST Jedi already.

Kinda ruins the whole significance of Luke / Vader in the original trilogy and thus the entire point of the Star Wars universe's general storyline, doesn't it?

It's amazing how just a couple short years ago everyone (including myself) was hyped to the max for a new Star Wars trilogy that could give new life to the franchise and erase the bad taste left by the Prequels, yet here we are with 3 films in 3 years, and I couldn't care less about any of the upcoming SW films.  The Han / Obi Wan standalone films are almost guaranteed to suck, and I now have zero interest in the conclusion of the new trilogy with Episode IX.  Even with the terrible prequels I was still pretty excited for their conclusion when Episode III came out, which tells you just how bad Disney and Co have run this franchise into the ground already.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

It's hilarious how in TLJ they attempt to pass Rey off as "nobody special" after 2 movies of her character basically being a Super Saiyan Mary Sue and presumed to be the next in a long line of Jedi masters or related to one a la Kenobi or Skywalker.  Apparently it's now the case that literally any one can be a Jedi or wield the Force, yet somehow in a universe of billions they're down to the LAST Jedi already.

Kinda ruins the whole significance of Luke / Vader in the original trilogy and thus the entire point of the Star Wars universe's general storyline, doesn't it?

It's amazing how just a couple short years ago everyone (including myself) was hyped to the max for a new Star Wars trilogy that could give new life to the franchise and erase the bad taste left by the Prequels, yet here we are with 3 films in 3 years, and I couldn't care less about any of the upcoming SW films.  The Han / Obi Wan standalone films are almost guaranteed to suck, and I now have zero interest in the conclusion of the new trilogy with Episode IX.  Even with the terrible prequels I was still pretty excited for their conclusion when Episode III came out, which tells you just how bad Disney and Co have run this franchise into the ground already.

I liked that actually. 

And who says random people couldn't be Jedi ... there's like 500+ Jedi in the prequels ... all of them somehow came from "noble/Force owner/exclusive club" families? When was that ever established as canon?

I always thought the Force just randomly (or in some cases specifically) was more abundant in some people than others with genetics playing one part but not the entire part. And there are Force sensitive people all over the place. 

Otherwise does that mean Palpatine's parents were super-duper Force users too? And his grandparents? And so on and so on? 

I took it like real life ... a kid can be born in Alaska to unremarkable parents but have tremendous/genius level ability in say playing the piano. Or being a hockey player. Or painting. Child prodigies. 

I think saying "hey you're Rey Skywalker" would've been a bit of a cheap cop out, it wraps everything up in a neat package and does all the work for her. As a random she has to now struggle to define what she stands for, she can't have Luke or some unearned bloodline do it for her. It broadens the universe too, not everything needs to revolve around the Skywalkers, especially when half of them seem to be full blown assholes. 

For a "Mary Sue" she sure does fail quite a bit in TLJ too ... she fails to turn Kylo Ren and is tricked by Snoke into the mind link. Kylo bails her out of that situation. She fails to win Luke over or get him to come back, R2-D2 and Yoda are the ones that causes Luke to come back, not Rey.

HomokHarcos said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I don't really think so but if we have to consider that she is Mary Sue then we have to consider that mainstream cinema is plenty of Marty Stus, but nobody ever complain nearly as much about those cause you know, they were men.

If you want to talk about Marty Sues, I do find James Bond a not so good character because of that.

In order to make that comparison you would have to accept that James Bond would be just some random guy who fixes computers or something and suddenly he just becomes an international operative who solves everything without breaking a sweat. You know, instead of having been fully trained by the british special forces and having years upon years of field experience. (He's been at it since like the sixties for fuck's sake ;))

That's actually a pretty good way to demonstrate the problem with Rey. It should be blatantly obvious.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

A few pointers? I daresay Obi-Wan trains him quite a bit more than what we actually see in the film, even though we don't get a lenghty training montage scene. Plus, he has some of his father's traits in him, so it kind of makes him powerful by way of his lineage. In the next film, he continues his training with Yoda. So he actually goes through a lot of training and explaining to get to where Rey just stumbles by accident, and Rey is still more capable. She doesn't even know what it is she's playing at, really. It just doesn't sit well.

Dante9 said:
Soundwave said:

A few pointers? I daresay Obi-Wan trains him quite a bit more than what we actually see in the film, even though we don't get a lenghty training montage scene. Plus, he has some of his father's traits in him, so it kind of makes him powerful by way of his lineage. In the next film, he continues his training with Yoda. So he actually goes through a lot of training and explaining to get to where Rey just stumbles by accident, and Rey is still more capable. She doesn't even know what it is she's playing at, really. It just doesn't sit well.

The only time he would have a real chance of training him would be during the flight from Tatooine to Alderaan, which was maybe a couple of days at most. 

He goes from not knowing what the Force is to blowing a Death Star in Darth Vader's face. You kinda just gotta stop nit picking stuff at some point in these movies or you're not going to enjoy anything. 

Goodnightmoon said:
Azuren said:

None of those appeared in one of the largest franchises with the same severity of Mary Sue that Rey is.

Tell that to characters like Harry Potter, James Bond or Neo.

Errr I have complained and show several times how idiotic is for Harry to survive and beat Voldemort almost every book. But besides plot convenience, friends help, etc, he isn't nearly all capable... He have 2 strong qualities, good flyer because he inherited from his parents and good at surviving dark arts through improvisation.

You can say his expeliarmus shouldn't be so powerful and useful, but that is what he uses, he doesn't discover a secret or OP magic to use against Voldie, is more plot convenience and Voldemort own arrogance that brings him down (even he says as much in some instances).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Goodnightmoon said:
archer9234 said:

Harry actually had to learn in school, and his ability to deal with Voldemort was given to him by his mother. Rey equals Kylo because the force demands equilibrium. So, why did Luke have to train and work his way up. But Rey gets free passes?

One word: Quidditch

Counter word: Occlumency

thismeintiel said:
KLAMarine said:

So Rey didn't have to train because she's some sort of archetype? The force breaks the fourth wall and sides with her because the script is telling it to?

The force is becoming a get-out-of-jail-free card and can be used by Rey who didn't need to train to use it. It wasn't like this with the original trilogy where Luke had to train on how to use it.

It's not even like that with Space Jesus, Anakin. And it is never stated that the Force has a will of its own. It's just an energy that surrounds everything that some can connect with. Even in the prequel trilogy, it is some Jedi prophecy, which turned out wrong, not the Force, saying Anakin is the chosen one. It's also implied that Darth Plagueis created him by toying with the Force to create life. Seems that would greatly swing the Force in their favor. The balance is for Force users to keep, not some sentient matter that likes fucking with people. Just a poor device to try to cover up for a Mary Sue. 

Actually Anakin is the choosen one to bring balance... when he was at age the Jedi and the light greatly outnumbered the siths and the darkness. He brought balance by killing the Jedi, then the balance gone too much to the other side then Luke had to make it even by basically taking out Vader and Palpatine (actually making both kill one another) and being the last surviving Jedi and not being very strong and also having shades of light and dark fighting in him.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."