By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Is Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Luke isn't quite a Gary Stu, but he's pretty damn close.

His character is basically the equivalent of a farm boy practising basketball for 45 minutes with a coach, learning a few moves, and then going on to hit the game winning shot in the NBA Finals over LeBron James a day later.

He gets a few pointers from Obi-Wan and then is able to out maneuver Darth Vader and blow up the Death Star.

This stuff doesn't make sense if you really want to over analyze it.

Around the Network

The answer is yes.

At any point did you really think she was not going to be okay?

Contrast: you knew Anakin was screwed from day one and he basically failed all the time, and Luke never did anything right. Was a constant failure.

That's why they were interesting.

Rey is about as interesting as cardboard drying.

Last edited by Technarchy - on 14 January 2018

KLAMarine said:
thismeintiel said:

Here's a good vid. Made by the same guy who did ANH:Mary Sue Edition. 

Good but nothing beats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2at2Wo9sU

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

A lot of you guys seem to make the mistake of different universe.

Harry Potter and Neo are in their own universe, Rey is in the Star Wars Universe.

1. Even if Harry Potter is a Mary Sue (he's not) , it doesn't matter because he has always been the MC of Harry Potter Universe.

2. Even if Neo is a Mary Sue when he becomes the chosen one, it doesn't matter because well duh the chosen one is the strongest.

3. But in Star Wars the MCs were not Mary Sue's, and even if they had plot conveniences then it was explained and they were always shown to have flaws. Rey is not the only MC of the Star Wars universe, so Rey should abide by the laws given to the other MCs.

Technarchy said:
The answer is yes.

At any point did you really think she was not going to be okay.

Contrast: you knew Anakin was screwed from day one and he basically failed all the time, and Luke never did anything right. Was a constant failure.

That's why they were interesting.

Rey is about as interesting as cardboard drying.

Does anyone really think Luke is going to die in the OT, seriously? Even at 6 years old I knew that wasn't happening, lol. 

If anything TLJ shocks in other ways and some people are angry about that, but there is definitely a portion in TLJ where I had no idea where they were going which was kind of exhilarating. That Snoke throne room scene was all types of spicy. 

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Harry Potter and Neo are in their own universe, Rey is in the Star Wars Universe.

1. Even if Harry Potter is a Mary Sue (he's not) , it doesn't matter because he has always been the MC of Harry Potter Universe.

2. Even if Neo is a Mary Sue when he becomes the chosen one, it doesn't matter because well duh the chosen one is the strongest.

3. But in Star Wars the MCs were not Mary Sue's, and even if they had plot conveniences then it was explained and they were always shown to have flaws. Rey is not the only MC of the Star Wars universe, so Rey should abide by the laws given to the other MCs.

So every main character in Star Wars basically has to be Luke's template? Says who? The rules reset with each trilogy, each new main character is their own deal. 

If JK Rowling wants to make a new set of books in the Harry Potter universe with a new main character, said character can be whatever she wants him/her to be, in fact it would be boring if she just did Harry 2.0. 

Pavolink said:
KLAMarine said:

Good but nothing beats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2at2Wo9sU

Criticism of capitalism in a Disney product. Priceless.

Soundwave said:
Farsala said:

So every main character in Star Wars basically has to be Luke's template? Says who? The rules reset with each trilogy, each new main character is their own deal. 

If JK Rowling wants to make a new set of books in the Harry Potter universe with a new main character, said character can be whatever she wants him/her to be, in fact it would be boring if she just did Harry 2.0. 

She can do what she wants, as can Disney. But it's understandable that change for the sake of change is not always good. I waited 7+ years to watch all of Harry Potter, because I didn't think it was worth it. That is what Star Wars is slowly becoming, and I find that disappointing.

Rey being a Mary Sue (and other issues) just means the franchise is less worth to me like Harry Potter.

Rey could've been written better in TFA to make her seem less of a Mary Sue than she appeared to be. I think TLJ tried to fix that issue with her a bit, but the damage was already done. Could be wrong with this despite watching TLJ twice.

Farsala said:
Soundwave said:

She can do what she wants, as can Disney. But it's understandable that change for the sake of change is not always good. I waited 7+ years to watch all of Harry Potter, because I didn't think it was worth it. That is what Star Wars is slowly becoming, and I find that disappointing.

Rey being a Mary Sue (and other issues) just means the franchise is less worth to me like Harry Potter.

Maybe it's time for Star Wars fans to accept it's "just another franchise". It's not some holy experience. 

There are 12 Star Trek movies and probably half of them are poor, maybe even more than half. And they're still making a 13th Star Trek movie with Tarantino involved. 

The OT is special. However, the prequels are bad and the sequels are somewhere in the middle between those two extremes. I think that's pretty much the truth of it. The originals will never be beaten.