By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Is Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Goodnightmoon said:

To suggest Rey is an excessively idealized female character and she sucks for that but then to deny Neo, Harry Potter or James Bond are excessively idealized males characters already proves my point, most of this complainst have a base on pure sexism, with her people tries to find every single little detail of why she is a Mary Sue, with them everybody does the exact opposite, try to find every little detail to prove why they aren't Marty Stus even when they clearly are if we apply the same values for all cases.

You are not in a position to deem constructive criticism as sexist when you've been blindly throwing that term around too often. If I see you doing this again or something of similar crass behavior, you will be moderated.

And to put my own 2 cents on the conversation, I see a major divide between how you argue and how other people argue. You claim that people are holding double standards as they deny that Neo, Harry Potter, or James Bond are excessively idealized male characters. However, you did not elaborate any further from that, which makes your argument a Proof by Assertion fallacy. In contrast, the people who argued that these male characters are not Gary Stus gave their evidence that support their opinions.

Around the Network
Nymeria said:
DonFerrari said: 

Funny enough the Saiyan on your sig is kinda Mary Stu (as well as Satan's daughter).

She and her sister goes from not knowing Super Saiyan form to being on terms with goku on blue saiyan... that was to much of a power spike on short notice... but DBS have a lot of strange power spikes.

And she ultimately fails as depicted in my signature, her whole universe deleted, doesn't get bigger than that.

I agree the power scaling is annoying, been an issue for me since the Android and Cell Saga when they really went crazy and everyone had to be super saiyan. 

The power spike I was talking about was how fast some chars have powered in the tournament.

Sure the whole power level became ridicule after Freeza (because DB was supposed to end after Picolo, but was pushed for Freeza and then we got the saiyans and pushed even more for Cell and Buu), but I was just talking about the new enemies that started "weak" and became super powerful by just meeting Goku and Vegeta;

Black Goku gone from about SSJ2 level to SSG hours/days after fighting Goku; Hit gone from fraction of second "time bending" to several during the fight; and the girls as we pointed... I liked their characters, but they should be introduced as able to do SSJ3 and then their fusion and being about SSG level would be more logical than not knowing SSJ and then reaching SSG level in 30min of fight without even experiencing near death.

But I accept that fast growing as a way to allow Goku to train more and keep the ultra instinct for the main fight.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nymeria said:
Goodnightmoon said:

To suggest Rey is an excessively idealized female character and she sucks for that but then to deny Neo, Harry Potter or James Bond are excessively idealized males characters already proves my point, most of this complainst have a base on pure sexism, with her people tries to find every single little detail of why she is a Mary Sue, with them everybody does the exact opposite, try to find every little detail to prove why they aren't Marty Stus even when they clearly are if we apply the same values for all cases.

Harry fails, multiple times he relies on others, he lets others down, people die because of him, he is helpless to save people he cares about.  He is terrified and need his parents and loved ones as he goes to die.  He has abilities and strengths, but he also struggles and weaknesses.  I was always good at art and writing as a child, but I struggled in mathematics no matter how hard I tried.  A character can have a specific positive aspect that makes them of interest.  It adds complexity and interest when they have to deal with real challenges with real consequences.  Life is hard, filled with false starts and failures, its how we respond to this that defines us.  

You throw around "sexism" casually as a lazy argument to poison the well of other members here.  You are the most sexist person I've seen in these threads. Treating women like fragile porcelain dolls who cannot handle criticism.  We ask to be held to the same standards as men, not just the advantages they get, but the responsibilities as well.  Major characters like Rey are massive missed opportunities for women and girls to look toward in fiction.  In real life the disillusionment will come when you fail, and fail again, and you have no excuse and your job fires you because accountability exists.  Strong women, or people in general, are forged through their trials and coming to terms with any limitations they have.

*Applause* You worded this much better than I could, even though I wanted to. People throw around sexism around like it carries no weight at all these days. Although it's mostly done by young people so it may be a matter of lack of real-life experience.

While Disney could have taken this opportunity to create a strong female role model, it may also be a little unfair to criticize them heavily for not doing so. Disney movies just aren't known for their complex characters with solid backstories. Disney also acquired Marvel and the new direction Star Wars has taken is a lot like the Marvel movies. Simple, over the top, amusement above all. I think Hermione is a much better role model for young girls than every female role in every Disney movie ever.

Chrizum said:
Nymeria said:

Harry fails, multiple times he relies on others, he lets others down, people die because of him, he is helpless to save people he cares about.  He is terrified and need his parents and loved ones as he goes to die.  He has abilities and strengths, but he also struggles and weaknesses.  I was always good at art and writing as a child, but I struggled in mathematics no matter how hard I tried.  A character can have a specific positive aspect that makes them of interest.  It adds complexity and interest when they have to deal with real challenges with real consequences.  Life is hard, filled with false starts and failures, its how we respond to this that defines us.  

You throw around "sexism" casually as a lazy argument to poison the well of other members here.  You are the most sexist person I've seen in these threads. Treating women like fragile porcelain dolls who cannot handle criticism.  We ask to be held to the same standards as men, not just the advantages they get, but the responsibilities as well.  Major characters like Rey are massive missed opportunities for women and girls to look toward in fiction.  In real life the disillusionment will come when you fail, and fail again, and you have no excuse and your job fires you because accountability exists.  Strong women, or people in general, are forged through their trials and coming to terms with any limitations they have.

*Applause* You worded this much better than I could, even though I wanted to. People throw around sexism around like it carries no weight at all these days. Although it's mostly done by young people so it may be a matter of lack of real-life experience.

While Disney could have taken this opportunity to create a strong female role model, it may also be a little unfair to criticize them heavily for not doing so. Disney movies just aren't known for their complex characters with solid backstories. Disney also acquired Marvel and the new direction Star Wars has taken is a lot like the Marvel movies. Simple, over the top, amusement above all. I think Hermione is a much better role model for young girls than every female role in every Disney movie ever.

Yep, Hermione is relatable even if "to smart" and strong while retaining her feminine qualities, Dumbledore is gay (there are hints on the book but nothing that talks about his sexuality, showing that you don't need to rub it in to prove a point), etc... it is a likeable story with human and fails that give better role models than the SJW attempts.

And I would rather the SW didn't even had more trilogies... I so much prefer Japanese media, with closed storylines (and when they push it to more time it usually spoils it) then the American way of keep pushing until it go out of the cliff.

Spin-Offs or less epic SW continuation would be better accepted than Anakin 3.0 (third savior for the 3rd trilogy) but who is much more powerful than both combined, while also having to piss off on Han, Lea and Luke that showed to have just failed hard after destroying the empire.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Aura7541 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You are not in a position to deem constructive criticism as sexist when you've been blindly throwing that term around too often. If I see you doing this again or something of similar crass behavior, you will be moderated.

And to put my own 2 cents on the conversation, I see a major divide between how you argue and how other people argue. You claim that people are holding double standards as they deny that Neo, Harry Potter, or James Bond are excessively idealized male characters. However, you did not elaborate any further from that, which makes your argument a Proof by Assertion fallacy. In contrast, the people who argued that these male characters are not Gary Stus gave their evidence that support their opinions.

So are you threatening to ban me for saying it like it is? That's a new low

If Rey was a man we wouldn't be having this debate and you all know it, now permaban me if you want.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Aura7541 said:

If Rey was a man we wouldn't be having this debate and you all know it, now permaban me if you want.

Please respond constructively to Nymeria's excellent post instead of throwing around empty arguments. I've seen you make well thought posts before so I know you are capable of it.

Chrizum said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Please respond constructively to Nymeria's excellent post instead of throwing around empty arguments. I've seen you make well thought posts before so I know you are capable of it.

Soundwave already made excelent arguments of why some of those characters are clear Marty Stus and nobody cared (I wonder why lol), why am i going to waste my time doing the same when i already know the results? Also I'm working right now, not exactly the best moment to write an wall of text, I suggest people to watch Harry potter, James Bond and Matrix moviers again because it couldn't be more obvious why those guys can easily be considered Marty Stus yet nobody complained about them.

Goodnightmoon said:
Aura7541 said:

You can't make this stuff up lol. Hope you don't act like this in the real world.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Goodnightmoon said:
Aura7541 said:

Well, thank you for supporting my points in my second paragraph. Even after I pointed out at your lack of elaboration, you continued to commit the same mistake as well as playing the victim card with your "threat" claim. Your response is yet another Proof by Assertion fallacy where all you do is make empty accusations without evidence.

Also, piggybacking off of Soundwave's arguments is not proper argumentation either. People made their refutations against your (as well as Soundwave's) claims, so it is your job to defend your opinions. Saying that people should watch Harry Potter and The Matrix is not an argument. You are deliberately ignoring other people's counterarguments because you don't want to put in the effort.

Goodnightmoon said:
Chrizum said:

Soundwave already made excelent arguments of why some of those characters are clear Marty Stus and nobody cared (I wonder why lol), why am i going to waste my time doing the same when i already know the results? Also I'm working right now, not exactly the best moment to write an wall of text, I suggest people to watch Harry potter, James Bond and Matrix moviers again because it couldn't be more obvious why those guys can easily be considered Marty Stus yet nobody complained about them.

Her post wasn't so much about Mary Sues as it was about sexism and strong female roles. I'd recommend you read it because it actually addresses something significant instead of discussing semantics about hyped up empty terms.