By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Switch's current 2018 Q1-Q2 lineup?

I feel like I've gone back in time to January of last year.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

Felt like making a thread about this after seeing the Direct Mini moments ago. We have a basic outline of what the next 6 months (Q1-Q2) are for Switch and wondered what people felt about it. I think I made a similar thread back during the first Switch event in January 2017. Let me know if I forgot anything.

January: Lost Sphear

February: Bayonetta 1 + 2, Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders

March: Kirby Star Allies, Attack on Titan 2, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition? (Spring release) 

April: Runner 3, Mario Tennis Aces? (Spring release)

May: Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

June: ?

Keep in mind that this list is obviously incomplete still and Nintendo surely has more unnanounced and this list is just focusing on the bigger games and what is officially confirmed right now. For example we didn't even see anything on Yoshi or Wolfenstein 2 in this Direct, and any of the Spring 2018 games could be between anytime March-May in there.

Its all relative..... but to be able to say "i love it" or "I hate it" you need something to base it against.

This is what the PS4's first 3 months look like:

January:

• 19 - Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory
  • 23 - Lost Sphear
  • 23 - The Inpatient (PS4/PSVR)
  • 26 - Dragon Ball FighterZ, Monster Hunter: World
  • 30 - Dissidia Final Fantasy NT

February:

• 2 - Past Cure, EA Sports UFC 3
  • 7 - Shadow of the Colossus Remake
  • 9 - The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia
  • 15 - Dynasty Warriors 9, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Secret of Mana remake, Owlboy (PS4/Switch/Xbox One)
  • 20 - Metal Gear Survive (PC/PS4/Xbox One)
  • 23 - Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (PC/PS4/Xbox One)
  • 27 - Gravel (PC/PS4/Xbox One)
  • ? - Moss (PS4/PSVR), Griftlands (PC), Fe (PC/PS4/Switch/Xbox One)

March:

• 13 - Devil May Cry HD Collection, Far Cry 5
  • 20 - A.o.T 2, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
  • 23 - A Way Out, Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
  • 27 - Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting, MLB The Show 18
  • ? - God of War, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Laser League

I'm going to assume this is the US releases. If so, the list is missing Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting - March 27

And these games that supposedly have a Q1 release:
Gal*Gun 2
Outlast/Outlast 2

Still a pretty slow spring, so I hope we get more info about things that are coming out for April/May, perhaps at least Yoshi and/or Octopath

p0isonparadise said:
I feel like I've gone back in time to January of last year.

I feel the same as well. Like I do feel they lack a big game for the first half of 2018 we actually do have much better third party support then we did around this time of last year and any point during the Wii U's life. 

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

So two big new games vs no big new games. They desperately need Octopath and Fire Emblem for the first half of 2018, and then they need two more heavy hitters. 

Yeah... no.

Wii U's list is two big new games and nothing else.

Ports don't sell a system. New games do. Just look at the Vita vs the PSP. They both had the same weaknesses vs their Nintendo competition, but PSP sold a respectable amount. Why? Because it had more than just a bunch of ports, and C tier titles. 

Your console can play every single game of the past 30 years, but if it doesn't get big new titles it won't sell. 

XB1 sells poorly compared to PS4, because it doesn't have anything outside of big western multiplats (Yes, all those PC versions of XB1 console exclusive games are multplats). Without  big new games Switch just becomes XB1, but with eastern multiplats replacing western ones. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 11 January 2018

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah... no.

Wii U's list is two big new games and nothing else.

Ports don't sell a system. New games do. Just look at the Vita vs the PSP. They both had the same weaknesses vs their Nintendo competition, but PSP sold a respectable amount. Why? Because it had more than just a bunch of ports, and C tier titles. 

Your console can play every single game of the past 30 years, but if it doesn't get big new titles it won't sell. 

Although... the highest selling game on highest selling console this generation so far is a port...

I get your point, but it's not as if no new games are coming within the Switch's 1st half of 2018. One of Nintendo's greatest assets right now is the Wii U's library because they're great games that only 1/8 of their potential fan base had access to. Meaning they can release them to keep their line up as cram filled as possible and they'll sell like new games because to a lot of people, they will be no different than if they had just released this year.

It’s pretty decent and gets better when you realize exclusive games like Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, SMTV, No More Heroes, Octopath etc. will still release this year. After E3 we’ll have an amazing 2018 line up.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Green098 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Although... the highest selling game on highest selling console this generation so far is a port...

I get your point, but it's not as if no new games are coming within the Switch's 1st half of 2018. One of Nintendo's greatest assets right now is the Wii U's library because they're great games that only 1/8 of their potential fan base had access to. Meaning they can release them to keep their line up as cram filled as possible and they'll sell like new games because to a lot of people, they will be no different than if they had just released this year.

Just because it was the highest selling game doesn't mean it made people choose PS4 over XB1. A.K.A. just because it was the highest selling game doesn't mean it moved systems. 

I agree that the ports make a lot of sense for Nintendo. Some games like Mario Kart are eternal moneymakers. 

Not too stellar for Switch since a lot of the games are just re-releases, but YS VIII, The World Ends With You, which I've never played, and Bayonetta 1+2, genuinely interest me, so I should be covered for the next few months.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

its fine I skipped bayonnetta 2 and practically all of Nintendo late Wii u games for the last 2 years of its life. I will get Bayonetta 2 and Mario Tennis. Your list is missing games btw