By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Switch's current 2018 Q1-Q2 lineup?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

.  On top of that while the Switch is a handheld, but it is much, much more powerful than the 3DS to the point that it is like it skipped a generation in terms of handheld power. 

Not really. The 3DS performance was similar to 6th gen home consoles (was able to even play wii games like Xenobade on the "new" model). Very likely similar performance to the PS2, maybe slightly weaker. The N64 Ports (Zelda OOT/MM was heavily advanced). Mario Kart 7 looked very similar to double dash.

Comparison between MK Wii and MK7 (wii was basically a 6th gen console as well as it was very similar on terms of performance to the gamecube)

Pretty similar right? 

The Switch is very similar in terms of performance to 7th gen console (ps3/Xbox360). Probl a little bit more powerfull but its still way more in line with those then with the 8th gen consoles.

Here is a comparison:

So the performance boost for handheld was just one generation (like usual). The Gap between DS and 3DS was simialr (with DS beeing similar powerfull the N64 (=playing games like Mario 64).

Handhelds are usually just one gen behind and its still the same with the switch. There is no "2 gens gap".

Around the Network

I don't like this lineup at all. But I'm willing to admit that maybe, just maybe Nintendo has a ton of big announcements for us in March. Perhaps they announced everything last January because they needed to get Switch units moving in March, whereas this time around they can wait until later to announce big things. There's still plenty of potential for Switch to have a stellar year. Monster Hunter Doublecross, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Poke'mon, or Animal Crossing could still wind up getting released this year. Nintendo still has three great exclusives guaranteed to release in 2018 (Fire Emblem, Octopath Traveler, No More Heroes 3).

Probably wont buy any of it. But that means that i will finally buy Mario + Rabbids.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

habam said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

.  On top of that while the Switch is a handheld, but it is much, much more powerful than the 3DS to the point that it is like it skipped a generation in terms of handheld power. 

Not really. The 3DS performance was similar to 6th gen home consoles (was able to even play wii games like Xenobade on the "new" model). Very likely similar performance to the PS2, maybe slightly weaker. The N64 Ports (Zelda OOT/MM was heavily advanced). Mario Kart 7 looked very similar to double dash.

Comparison between MK Wii and MK7 (wii was basically a 6th gen console as well as it was very similar on terms of performance to the gamecube)

Pretty similar right? 

The Switch is very similar in terms of performance to 7th gen console (ps3/Xbox360). Probl a little bit more powerfull but its still way more in line with those then with the 8th gen consoles.

Here is a comparison:

So the performance boost for handheld was just one generation (like usual). The Gap between DS and 3DS was simialr (with DS beeing similar powerfull the N64 (=playing games like Mario 64).

Handhelds are usually just one gen behind and its still the same with the switch. There is no "2 gens gap".

I've looked at a lot of these videos.  From what I can tell PS3, XBox360 and Wii U belong in one category and PS4, XBox1 and Switch belong in another.  One clear factor is resolution.  Almost all games from the first group run at 720p while the second group runs at 1080p. 

Every generation I hear people bicker over these tiny details.  If you look closely the PS3 is slightly better than the XBox360.  Both consoles still got mostly the same games and the 360 sold more in the US at least.  Essentially these tiny details don't matter when you consider the types of games that a console can run.  Overall I'd agree that if you stare at the minutae you will see the Switch is a little weaker than PS4 or XBox1, but it still belongs in that category.  It is much better than PS3 or XBox360.

It's pretty weak so far. That direct wasn't the best. But I think they might announce a big game or two in a later direct for the first half of 2018.

Around the Network

Not really interested in anything on that list. But I still need to play through Zelda so that'll cover me for a few months, and can always pick up a great indie game from 2017 off the eshop if I feel the need for a new game. I'm sure there will be plenty more games coming out than that list though. But would have been nice to see one big Nintendo game coming out during this whole 6 months!

FloatingWaffles said:

Felt like making a thread about this after seeing the Direct Mini moments ago. We have a basic outline of what the next 6 months (Q1-Q2) are for Switch and wondered what people felt about it. I think I made a similar thread back during the first Switch event in January 2017. Let me know if I forgot anything.

January: Lost Sphear, Darkest Dungeon, Furi, Super Meat Boy, The Escapists 2, Celeste

February: Bayonetta 1 + 2, Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders, The Longest 5 Minutes, Portal Knights, Monster Energy Supercross, Fe

March: Kirby Star Allies, Attack on Titan 2, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition? (Spring release), Atelier Lydie and the Suelle, MUSYNX

April: Runner 3, Mario Tennis Aces? (Spring release), Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory, Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion, Shantae Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, Blade Strangers, Penny Punching Princess

May: Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

June: The World Ends With You Final Remix? (Summer release)

Keep in mind that this list is obviously incomplete still and Nintendo surely has more unnanounced and this list is just focusing on what is officially confirmed right now. Some of these games I have no idea even about what they are, just that some may be interested in them and they are new releases so I added everything I could find. 

Games I'll buy:

For sure - Mario Tennis

Possibly - Celeste, Payday 2 (could play on steam with sharing), Lost Sphere, Dragon Quest Builders, Kirby, Dark Souls (my brother in law shares steam games with me and he has this so not sure if I should just play that one?), Tropical Freeze (I own WIi U version).

Overall, not the most appealing direct to me, mostly because the big games I already either own or have access (via steam sharing) to play.

But I know most people don't have my problem of sharing steam accounts with someone that owns like every 3rd party game ever lol

I think its ok. Nintendo had to come out swinging in 2017, so a little less than stellar first half of 2018 is perfectly fine to me.

Not sure. Think several more announcements will be made by March but who knows.

Nice, but not that special.
I am much more excited to see/hear what they have for the rest of the year.

Hoping that we get metroid prime 4 this year...
Does it have any chance of releasing this year, please tell me that it does
there has to be some hope