By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Switch's current 2018 Q1-Q2 lineup?

Nautilus said:

Animal Crossing?Smash Bros?An actual new MK?A 2D Mario game?A new IP that could catch on fire just like Splatoon?People also forget that Zelda never was an 10 million seller, it just that it was always a critically acllaimmed franchise, but not a super big system seller.

The problem is that, the smaller franchises also moves consoles.There are people that also only care for games like FE, Donkey Kong, F Zero, Golden Sun(keeping the hope alive!) and so on.So while those games alone cant match the appeal of the bigger franchises, they togheter can surely have the same strenght in terms of sales simply because they appeal to a huge audience.And they also increment and diversify the library, which by itself also convinces people to buy consoles.

Plues there is also alot of people that want to buy a Switch for games that already released but didnt because of availability, time(adults dont have that much free time) and most important of all, budget.Price drops, in terms of sales, is as important as a big hitter like Pokemon.

So yeah, there is stil a billion cards that Nintendo can play.

The Zelda franchises has 82,5 Mio sales so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Mario Kart and smash werent big enough to sell many wii us, why should they sell switches? Same with 2D Mario. Other then for the 13 Mio Wii U owners (most of them will already bought a switch btw), mk8deluxe was a brand new game.

Around the Network
Paatar said:
Atelier Lydie And Suelle is releasing the 27th of March. You should add that.

Have no idea what that game is but I added it, also added a few others that seem to be new games getting a physical release on the Switch. 

habam said:
Nautilus said:

Animal Crossing?Smash Bros?An actual new MK?A 2D Mario game?A new IP that could catch on fire just like Splatoon?People also forget that Zelda never was an 10 million seller, it just that it was always a critically acllaimmed franchise, but not a super big system seller.

The problem is that, the smaller franchises also moves consoles.There are people that also only care for games like FE, Donkey Kong, F Zero, Golden Sun(keeping the hope alive!) and so on.So while those games alone cant match the appeal of the bigger franchises, they togheter can surely have the same strenght in terms of sales simply because they appeal to a huge audience.And they also increment and diversify the library, which by itself also convinces people to buy consoles.

Plues there is also alot of people that want to buy a Switch for games that already released but didnt because of availability, time(adults dont have that much free time) and most important of all, budget.Price drops, in terms of sales, is as important as a big hitter like Pokemon.

The Zelda franchises has 82,5 Mio sales so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

Mario Kart and smash werent big enough to sell many wii us, why should they sell switches? Same with 2D Mario. Other then for the 13 Mio Wii U owners (most of them will already bought a switch btw), mk8deluxe was a brand new game.

Zelda had more than a dozen games, but no singular game has sold more than 10 millions.Kirby has sold like 40 million units across all its games.I wonder why its not considered a system seller, hmmmm.....

Oh please, that last point of yours is simply ridiculous.Are you saying then that 3D Mario is not a system seller then?Or that you are going to forget the 10+ million sellers that 2D Mario usually does?Or Smash?Or Mario Kart?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

habam said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have been saying for a while now that 2018 will be disappointing for Switch sales, but 2019 will put 2017 to shame.  Why would I say such an arbitrary thing?

Im pretty sceptical about the sales in the future. Sure 2017 was good but they had great marketing and released a 3D Mario, 3D Zelda (both 97/100 meta) on that system and had a port of Mario Kart 8 as well.

Those are basically nintendo biggest franchises, only pokemon is really left.

For a Nintendo fan, there was no reason to not get the switch in 2017 imo. The problem is, I expect most nintendo fans owning the system now already. I doubt 3rd party  support will change much either. Pokemon will definitly boost the system but I expect the switch to sell similar to the 3ds in year 2-4, not similar to the ps4.

I think the Switch will sell better than the 3DS, but what if it only does sell like the 3DS?  Is that really terrible?  The 3DS had a huge amount of third party support.  On top of that while the Switch is a handheld, but it is much, much more powerful than the 3DS to the point that it is like it skipped a generation in terms of handheld power.  I could not play anything remotely like Skyrim or Dark Souls on the 3DS.  

I think that jump is going to be a really big deal to both Japanese customers and Japanese developers.  (Just look at Switch sales in Japan if you need proof.)  Japanese developers have definitely taken notice, because they mostly make their games for the Japanese people while hoping they will sell in the rest of the world too.  Japanese 3rd parties are going to put their best games on the Switch.  It is taking time for them to adjust though, so right now all we get are ports.  Starting in 2019, the third party games are going to look a lot better.

The original list I made excluded a lot of games that should have been in there from the beginning since they are new releases as well, corrected that now with all I could find. Let me know if there's still any I missed.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

Felt like making a thread about this after seeing the Direct Mini moments ago. We have a basic outline of what the next 6 months (Q1-Q2) are for Switch and wondered what people felt about it. I think I made a similar thread back during the first Switch event in January 2017. Let me know if I forgot anything.

January: Lost Sphear

February: Bayonetta 1 + 2, Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders

March: Kirby Star Allies, Attack on Titan 2, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition? (Spring release) 

April: Runner 3, Mario Tennis Aces? (Spring release)

May: Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

June: The World Ends With You?

Keep in mind that this list is obviously incomplete still and Nintendo surely has more unnanounced and this list is just focusing on the bigger games and what is officially confirmed right now. For example we didn't even see anything on Yoshi or Wolfenstein 2 in this Direct, and any of the Spring 2018 games could be between anytime March-May in there.

Are you including indies (I see Runner 3 on that list...) If yes, Darkest Dungeon is releasing later this month (physical version in March).

There's also a bunch of smaller physical releases that have already relesed on the eshop, like Shantae 1/2 genie hero, Wonder Boy, Axiom Verge,etc.

Not sure if Portal Knights and Runbow have already released on the eshop, but they're coming as well.

Last edited by SuperNova - on 11 January 2018

RolStoppable said:
The lineup is incomplete, so it's moot to draw conclusions from it.

What if this is the entire lineup for 2018, as some people around the internet suggested?

Anyway, Dark Souls is day 1.

Other games that had my interest are Twewy and Ys VIII.

And for indies Hollow Knight and Darkest Dungeon.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nautilus said: 

Zelda had more than a dozen games, but no singular game has sold more than 10 millions.Kirby has sold like 40 million units across all its games.I wonder why its not considered a system seller, hmmmm.....

Oh please, that last point of yours is simply ridiculous.Are you saying then that 3D Mario is not a system seller then?Or that you are going to forget the 10+ million sellers that 2D Mario usually does?Or Smash?Or Mario Kart?

Because Kirby is a low budget B game and Zelda is a big budget AAA game 7 years in the development.

Kirby franchise sold 35 mio units, most of them in a time where cheap 2D games where still the primary games people played. 

habam said:

Nautilus said: 

Because Kirby is a low budget B game and Zelda is a big budget AAA game 7 years in the development.

Kirby franchise sold 35 mio units, most of them in a time where cheap 2D games where still the primary games people played. 

BOTW had 5 years of development.

Anyway, you understood my point.I think thats enough for this discussion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

habam said:
Nautilus said:

The difference is: In terms of hardware and concept, the Switch is awesome; The Wii U sucked.

Whenever I am in threads talking about how Xbox is falling behind PlayStation and Nintendo, I usually say it's because while the hardware is great, fantastic even, the exclusives, in quality and quantity, are very lackluster compared to Sony and Nintendo's offerings, and when that's the case, hardware can only get you so far and its potential sales are limited when you don't have the 1st party games, in quality, quantity, and diversity, to back it up.

Well, it goes both ways. If your hardware/console is shit, it doesn't really matter, in the long run, how great or excellent its games are, because nobody wants to buy the system they're on, because they don't think it's worth it.
The Wii U had a lot of really great exclusive games (none of them were at the level of Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey), but the hardware was a different story, a pointless GamePad gimmick that didn't go anywhere and all it ended up doing was jack up the price an extra $100-150, the terrible marketing certainly didn't help. And those were just 2 of the many, many problems the Wii U had.

ATM, the Switch is mostly selling itself. The concept of playing console quality games at home and then taking them with you on the go like a DS/Game Boy has caught fire with the mainstream market, and it already has 4 Huge System Sellers in its first year, two of them are being hailed as two of the greatest games ever made. So the hardware is great, and the games are great too. That means many people who were on the fence or didn't feel the need to buy a Wii U for Smash Bros. Bayonetta, DKC, etc. Now, they'll be more than willing to shell out money for the Switch to play those games.