By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Switch's current 2018 Q1-Q2 lineup?

PSintend0 said:
Nice, but not that special.
I am much more excited to see/hear what they have for the rest of the year.

Hoping that we get metroid prime 4 this year...
Does it have any chance of releasing this year, please tell me that it does
there has to be some hope

I doubt it. It's way too early in development right now. I think either 2019 or 2020 is more likely.

Around the Network

Depends on the person. For people who skipped on the Wii U, this may be potential good for them, but for those who already played many of the Wii U titles, there doesn't look to be much meat on those bones. It's alright for me personally. I'll likely pick up a few titles here and there, like Kirby.

I'm sure they'll announce more titles later on though.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It's pretty decent, not the best but has enough games I'm interested in

Not sure if I will double dip for TWEWY, but I probably will... DQ Builders is one I'm really interested in as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

It's a good line-up, really strong. Personally though, Bayonetta is all that interests me.

FloatingWaffles said:
Paatar said:
Atelier Lydie And Suelle is releasing the 27th of March. You should add that.

Have no idea what that game is but I added it, also added a few others that seem to be new games getting a physical release on the Switch. 

It’s an AA RPG from Koei Tecmo/Gust. Definitely worth mentioning.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've looked at a lot of these videos.  From what I can tell PS3, XBox360 and Wii U belong in one category and PS4, XBox1 and Switch belong in another.  One clear factor is resolution.  Almost all games from the first group run at 720p while the second group runs at 1080p. 

Every generation I hear people bicker over these tiny details.  If you look closely the PS3 is slightly better than the XBox360.  Both consoles still got mostly the same games and the 360 sold more in the US at least.  Essentially these tiny details don't matter when you consider the types of games that a console can run.  Overall I'd agree that if you stare at the minutae you will see the Switch is a little weaker than PS4 or XBox1, but it still belongs in that category.  It is much better than PS3 or XBox360.

Sorry but that is just wrong.

1. We are comparing handheld performance. The switch’s max resolution in handheld mode is 720p, not 1080p. 

2. switch docked has 376 gflops, undocked 192 gflops. Ps3 and Xbox 360 had 240 gflops (but less ram and outdated architecture). Xbox one has 1250 gflops, ps4 has 1850. where on hell should the switch be more similar to the 8th gen lmao ?

the switch in docked mode can run some 7th gen game in 1080p. That’s it. In handheld mode it’s as powerful as the 7th gen. It’s not capable to run real 8th gen games like Witcher 3 at all. It’s even a big surprise they got doom running on sub 720p, unstable 30 FPS and lower then low settings. The game runs 900p-1080p 60fps high settings on the ps4. How is that a similar resolution lmao

the switch uses a 3 year old arm based mobile tablet soc that has (in docked mode) ~20% of the power of the ps4 and ~33% of the power of the Xbox one and ~170% of 7th gen power. 

Last edited by habam - on 12 January 2018

Miyamotoo said:
Cerebralbore101 said:  

DélioPT said:

Not literally "nothing", obviously.

But for the Direct you spoke much about before, what did we get? Ports, remasters and Mario Tennis.
Overall, and if im not mistaken, Nintendo has, for the five first months, 2 minor games.

You said more than once that there wasn't a reason to fear... it was Nintendo and Switch was doing so great, no way they would drop the ball and repeat past mistakes (they were even focusing on a single platform).

But when you look at system sellers, 2018 isn't shaping up to be another 2017, does it?

Well you wrote nothing, there are currently some good mid tier games obviously.

Yeah, ports, remasters and new game, and they are enough to keep momentum of Switch until more or stronger games are announced, and will actually gave quite diversite to Switch library. Bayonetta 1 and 2, Dark Souls Remaster, DKTF and Hyrule Warriors Ultimate version are mid tier games not minor games. This was Mini Direct, not full Direct, and Nintendo don't have big announcements in Mini Direct, we will have more announcements for 1H of 2018, most likly we will have full Direct in around March similar like last year, and usualy shortly after Mini Direct we have normal Direct. Nintendo is definatly keeping some this year games for next Directs and E3 like they did last year also.

And I still say same thing, and they didnt drop ball and repeat past mistakes, they are keeping momentum with more games without any droughts, and with more announcements.

Nobady relly said that Switch in 2018. can have so many big system seller games like it had in 2017. but it can be quite strong regardles 2017. We yet need to see big Switch 2018. system seller games, my bet is still on 2 from Smash Bros, Animal Crossing and Pokemon, Retros game is also posible.

No, ports and remasters are not a way to keep or even increase momentum. And it's not Mario Tennis and Kirby that's going to cut it.

Speaking of announcements in Mini Directs...
Thing is, those Mini Directs were never used as regular Direct... until now.
If you actually go and look at how Nintendo handled Mini Directs, you'll see that the vast majority of them were made for a single game or a specific country and they also weren't used to reveal games like we saw in the recent Mini Direct.
Not to mention that there hasn't been one, non-specific game Mini Direct, that was broadcasted worldwide (there were a few close to that, but none like the recente one).

The new Mini Direct we saw broke tradition. Period.

Now, you could say that Nintendo has something planned for the first semester.
Well, they didn't reveal anything for June, if i'm not mistaken. So, we could still see one title more.
But should we expect more for the former months? Most likely not. And why? It's been Nintendo's way of doing things, to have 1 big title per month. And from we just saw, they are sticking to that way of doing things.

If you look the release Schedule, you'll see this:
February: Bayonetta 1 + 2
March: Kirby
April: Mario tennis (not confirmed)
May: Street Fighter (just like last year); Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
June: ?

"The World ends with you" only has a 2018 release window.
So, if Mario Tennis comes out in April or June, you'll only have room for another game (which could very well be Hyrule Warriors).
I think it's safe to assume January is out of the question.

Nintendo didn't drop the ball?
How many 1st party games has Nintendo announced for the 1st half of 2018?
You implied several times that Nintendo would have a lot of games ready seeing as they stopped focusing on 3DS and Wii U and they were streamlining their SW production.

The problem is that if there's a big difference between 2017 and 2018, Switch's perception would take a hit.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well you wrote nothing, there are currently some good mid tier games obviously.

Yeah, ports, remasters and new game, and they are enough to keep momentum of Switch until more or stronger games are announced, and will actually gave quite diversite to Switch library. Bayonetta 1 and 2, Dark Souls Remaster, DKTF and Hyrule Warriors Ultimate version are mid tier games not minor games. This was Mini Direct, not full Direct, and Nintendo don't have big announcements in Mini Direct, we will have more announcements for 1H of 2018, most likly we will have full Direct in around March similar like last year, and usualy shortly after Mini Direct we have normal Direct. Nintendo is definatly keeping some this year games for next Directs and E3 like they did last year also.

And I still say same thing, and they didnt drop ball and repeat past mistakes, they are keeping momentum with more games without any droughts, and with more announcements.

Nobady relly said that Switch in 2018. can have so many big system seller games like it had in 2017. but it can be quite strong regardles 2017. We yet need to see big Switch 2018. system seller games, my bet is still on 2 from Smash Bros, Animal Crossing and Pokemon, Retros game is also posible.

No, ports and remasters are not a way to keep or even increase momentum. And it's not Mario Tennis and Kirby that's going to cut it.

If you actually go and look at how Nintendo handled Mini Directs, you'll see that the vast majority of them were made for a single game or a specific country and they also weren't used to reveal games like we saw in the recent Mini Direct.
Not to mention that there hasn't been one, non-specific game Mini Direct, that was broadcasted worldwide (there were a few close to that, but none like the recente one).

Well, they didn't reveal anything for June, if i'm not mistaken. So, we could still see one title more.
But should we expect more for the former months? Most likely not. And why? It's been Nintendo's way of doing things, to have 1 big title per month. And from we just saw, they are sticking to that way of doing things.

May: Street Fighter (just like last year); Dark Souls Remastered, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

So, if Mario Tennis comes out in April or June, you'll only have room for another game (which could very well be Hyrule Warriors).

You implied several times that Nintendo would have a lot of games ready seeing as they stopped focusing on 3DS and Wii U and they were streamlining their SW production.

The problem is that if there's a big difference between 2017 and 2018, Switch's perception would take a hit.

We went through this, yes they are in Switch case because full portable mode, games like Skyrim, Doom and Rocket League are all major releases for Switch. You keep forgetting that most popular game even on PS4 and XB1 is PS3/360 port.

First this Direct Mini was not like regular Direct, we had plenty of news in only 15 minutes, without single big announcement. Second, we had before Mini Direct with multiple announcements. We had plenty of time with Nintendo Directs that Japan has their own specifk Directs, while Europle/US has other, so nothing relly strange. Also onother point is that this was real Mini Direct is that we had announcement and release shortly after announcement, and that isnt case with regular Directs.

Even if maybe there are some differences, fact is that this was Mini Direct not regular Direct.  We will definitely have another regular Direct in around March, maybe even sooner.

We will see, I just saying that its almost certain that Nintendo didn't announced hole Switch 1H 2018. lineup, and that espacily goes for 3rd party games.

Of Course they did not drop ball, like you wrote they will have releases for every month, there announced enough games that there no any droughts again, and they will definitely announced some more games for 1H 2018.

When we are at end of 2018. than tell me how much is difference between Switch 2017. and Switch 2018. lineup, Nintendo mostly announced games for Q1 of 2018. there will be more announcements for Q2 and I will not mentioned 2H of 2018. Last year in January you also thought that Switch lineup is weak.

Also check this thread.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234126&page=1#

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 12 January 2018

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

We went through this, yes they are in Switch case because full portable mode, games like Skyrim, Doom and Rocket League are all major releases for Switch. You keep forgetting that most popular game even on PS4 and XB1 is PS3/360 port.

First this Direct Mini was not like regular Direct, we had plenty of news in only 15 minutes, without single big announcement. Second, we had before Mini Direct with multiple announcements. We had plenty of time with Nintendo Directs that Japan has their own specifk Directs, while Europle/US has other, so nothing relly strange. Also onother point is that this was real Mini Direct is that we had announcement and release shortly after announcement, and that isnt case with regular Directs.

Even if maybe there are some differences, fact is that this was Mini Direct not regular Direct.  We will definitely have another regular Direct in around March, maybe even sooner.

We will see, I just saying that its almost certain that Nintendo didn't announced hole Switch 1H 2018. lineup, and that espacily goes for 3rd party games.

Of Course they did not drop ball, like you wrote they will have releases for every month, there announced enough games that there no any droughts again, and they will definitely announced some more games for 1H 2018.

When we are at end of 2018. than tell me how much is difference between Switch 2017. and Switch 2018. lineup, Nintendo mostly announced games for Q1 of 2018. there will be more announcements for Q2 and I will not mentioned 2H of 2018. Last year in January you also thought that Switch lineup is weak.

Also check this thread.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234126&page=1#

I'll take this discussion to the other thread, then.

It looks decent. Not great, but decent. Which is fine by me as I'm going to be busy working through a sizable backlog of games between my Switch, XB One, and games I have to review.

I'm still waiting for a price drop or deal on Switch Skyrim before I even take the plunge on that one, which by itself will take up a lot of time.

Strangely enough I want to get the remasters/re-releases moreso than most of the new titles, as I either haven't played them or just want to play a handheld version of them. I definitely want to get: DKC Tropical Freeze, Payday 2, Dark Souls, Hyrule Warriors (skipped this on the Wii U, and my friend has raved about it)

Maybes or discounted: Wolfenstein 2, Mario Tennis, Kirby, Fe.

And it's probably not until late 2018, but I'm really looking forward to Octopath based on the demo I played.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden