By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 1): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - January 01-07, 2018

Good week for PS4. Maybe 6m in next chart!

Around the Network

If you had said Zelda would outsell Final Fantasy in Japan 10, 5, or even 2 years ago, people would have called you a lunatic.

I don't know which one this says more about, the rise and growth of the Zelda series caused by Breath of the Wild, or the decline of Final Fantasy since XIII.

Edit: Actually, now that I look at the series as a whole, it's been declining in Japan looong before XIII.

Final Fantasy VIII - 3.63 million; The best selling game in the series in Japan.
Final Fantasy IX - 2.78 million
Final Fantasy X - 2.73 million
Final Fantasy XII - 2.33 million
Final Fantasy XIII - 1.87 million
Final Fantasy XV - 1.01 million

Where they hell did SquareSoft/Square Enix go wrong for this to happen? This all can't just be chalked up to the decline of the console market, because the PS2 era was when console gaming was at its peak in Japan.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 11 January 2018

ryuzaki57 said:

Dont forget to mention those great third party legs for switch!

PAOerfulone said:

If you had said Zelda would outsell Final Fantasy in Japan 10, 5, or even 2 years ago, people would have called you a lunatic.

I don't know which one this says more about, the rise and growth of the Zelda series caused by Breath of the Wild, or the decline of Final Fantasy since XIII.

Edit: Actually, now that I look at the series as a whole, it's been declining in Japan looong before XIII.

Final Fantasy VIII - 3.63 million; The best selling game in the series in Japan.

Where they hell did SquareSoft/Square Enix go wrong for this to happen? This all can't just be chalked up to the decline of the console market, because the PS2 era was when console gaming was at its peak in Japan.

Threadworthy. Zelda bigger than ff in japan. Zelda will beat it by a good margin. Zelda sell through is already 1mil+ (with digital) lets gooo :p

Well FFXV is inching closer to the best selling FF's in the world, and at the same time the worst selling in Japan. Apparently now it is over 7m WW. https://www.dualshockers.com/monster-hunter-world-sales-10-million-copies/ I wonder why they didn't focus on Japan?

Also for full comparison is last known digital numbers:

Zelda BoTW Wii U+ Switch= ~62k
FFXV= 29. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 749 / 92.389 (Square Enix) - {29/11/2016}

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Well FFXV is inching closer to the best selling FF's in the world, and at the same time the worst selling in Japan. Apparently now it is over 7m WW. https://www.dualshockers.com/monster-hunter-world-sales-10-million-copies/ I wonder why they didn't focus on Japan?

Also for full comparison is last known digital numbers:

Zelda BoTW Wii U+ Switch= ~62k
FFXV= 29. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 749 / 92.389 (Square Enix) - {29/11/2016}

Estimate in japan ff will be around 1.2mil to 1.3mil lifetime (ship+digital) while Zelda is already well over 1mil now. Itll be ship+digital at minimum 1.3mil at this rate. How high can it go is any1 guess. I doubt 2mil lol. That would be crazy

That said ff is still bigger in japan than Zelda unless they both continue to incline and decline in sales

WW zelda will easily outsell ff. Might possibly even double sales (very low chance but possible)

PAOerfulone said:

Well the market shrunk drastically for home consoles after the ps2 for one. Simply BEING a home console game is a disadvantage in japan.

Plus, FF has been inching away from the style japanese fans like, especially after 13. They'd rather play dragon quest.

So, I did some calculations for Breath of the Wild,

1,000,000 - 802,811 = 197,189.

With 51 weeks left in the year, it would need to sell an average of 3,866 copies per week to pass 1 million copies sold physically on the Switch alone by the end of the year.

captain carot said:
So Nintendo took away Sonys new year sales?

Do you really believe this? Sony consoles rarely sell the most this week. It's just they generally get a better bump relative to the week before. 

This year's new year's sales were higher then last. So your comment definitely holds no weight. 

tbone51 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Dont forget to mention those great third party legs for switch!

Well, I wouldn't say it shrunk drastically from the PS2.

PS2/Xbox/GameCube/DC combined install base - 30 million
PS3/360/Wii combined install base - 24.9 million

PS4/XBO/Wii U combined install base - 9.1 million

Even though the market shrunk in the 7th gen from 6th gen, it was still pretty healthy. It was this generation where it dropped like a rock, but even then, the PS4 is expected to at least match the PS3's install base.

But, I see what you mean by how Final Fantasy has appealed less and less to Japanese gamers and more towards Western ones.