Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

Megiddo said:
I know that the system itself sold very well, but how do the software sales for the Wii look like? Most people I know who had it mainly just used it as a family Wii Sports machine, but that's anecdotal. How do the total software sales for the Wii look like compared with other systems at its time?

A lot of Nintendo 1st party had seen the highest number of sales in history.

Around the Network

Yeah my problem with the console was the main Controller that was designed for it.

Last edited by JSG87 - on 07 January 2018

It had the worst version of most multi Plat games, motion controls didn't work like they were supposed to most of the time (ruining my Back and wiki experience), and online was often broken and not even up to 2001 Xbox standards.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

I love the controls in Skyward Sword, they made the usually shallow Zelda combat system less shallow AND they don't require you to waggle, because you actually have to think about your movements (you only have to do slight movements and violently shaking the control will only make you fail). Anyway, the motion controls worked perfectly for me in all the games I played.

- A lot of self-described "hardcore" gamers felt threatened by the fact it didn't focus exclusively on them.

- As already stated, judging a book by its cover; many gamers wrote it off because it lacked HD graphics and AAA multi-plats and just assumed it was all casual party games, when it fact it offered tons of "core" experiences.

- It disrupted the narrative that Sony always beats Nintendo. Many PS fans could never forgive it for beating the PS3.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

- It disrupted the narrative that Sony always beats Nintendo. Many PS fans could never forgive it for beating the PS3.

Then they'd need to really look at history. Sony beat the PS3. Nintendo just wisely helped them. ;)

GhaudePhaede010 said:

The biggest reason I see is the casual games and that argument has never really held up.

I think I know what you are referring to, but it's hard to tell without any specific examples, as some people interpret constructive criticism as hatred and vice versa. Or maybe this was hatred.

But assuming I know what you're referring to, it has to do with a specific type of casual gamers. Every console has casuals. But the ones we're talking about here are the ones who are now either primarily playing on mobile phones, or not playing at all. So they're no longer contributing to the console market's growth, like the 'dude bro's' who play FIFA and GTA on PS4 and XB1 for example, and still will be on PS5/XB2.

Last edited by Hiku - on 07 January 2018

Cerebralbore101 said:
It gets a bad rap, because a large portion of the people who bought it were casuals, that don't like Nintendo games.

Wait, what?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Sales

The only non-Nintendo game in the TOP 10 is Just Dance - at tenth place.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Yerm said:
simply put, the Wii should not have even been a console. it was originally planned as a Gamecube add-on but was made into its own console after the Gamecube was shown to be selling poorly. it had underpowered hardware and a huge emphasis on motion controls, and companies were more in favor of using the Xbox 360 and PS3 to make games for due the extra power and more traditional controls. this caused Nintendo to try shifting their focus onto casual markets which did not turn out well, and even today despite the Switch being their most powerful console to date and a marketing success, it still is vastly underpowered compared to other consoles. after the Wii, they never really recovered

Seeing it was the most successful non-handheld for Nintendo ever, it obviously was the right decision.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Its the same people who dislike smartphone games.

Pocky Lover Boy!