By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

It had the worst version of most multi Plat games, motion controls didn't work like they were supposed to most of the time (ruining my Back and wiki experience), and online was often broken and not even up to 2001 Xbox standards.

Around the Network

I love the controls in Skyward Sword, they made the usually shallow Zelda combat system less shallow AND they don't require you to waggle, because you actually have to think about your movements (you only have to do slight movements and violently shaking the control will only make you fail). Anyway, the motion controls worked perfectly for me in all the games I played.

- A lot of self-described "hardcore" gamers felt threatened by the fact it didn't focus exclusively on them.

- As already stated, judging a book by its cover; many gamers wrote it off because it lacked HD graphics and AAA multi-plats and just assumed it was all casual party games, when it fact it offered tons of "core" experiences.

- It disrupted the narrative that Sony always beats Nintendo. Many PS fans could never forgive it for beating the PS3.

Cerebralbore101 said:
It gets a bad rap, because a large portion of the people who bought it were casuals, that don't like Nintendo games.

Wait, what?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/games.php?name=&keyword=&console=Wii&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Sales

The only non-Nintendo game in the TOP 10 is Just Dance - at tenth place.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yerm said:
simply put, the Wii should not have even been a console. it was originally planned as a Gamecube add-on but was made into its own console after the Gamecube was shown to be selling poorly. it had underpowered hardware and a huge emphasis on motion controls, and companies were more in favor of using the Xbox 360 and PS3 to make games for due the extra power and more traditional controls. this caused Nintendo to try shifting their focus onto casual markets which did not turn out well, and even today despite the Switch being their most powerful console to date and a marketing success, it still is vastly underpowered compared to other consoles. after the Wii, they never really recovered

Seeing it was the most successful non-handheld for Nintendo ever, it obviously was the right decision.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

Its the same people who dislike smartphone games.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

NoirSon said:
There are more ways to attack something for its weaknesses then praise it for the strengths.

Yeah, this. We shouldn't forget it's strength: it was the most successful home console from Nintendo, sold Nintendo games and saved Nintendo. Gamecube and WiiU which tried to cater to the people that hated the Wii both failed badly.

Mnementh said:
Yerm said:
simply put, the Wii should not have even been a console. it was originally planned as a Gamecube add-on but was made into its own console after the Gamecube was shown to be selling poorly. it had underpowered hardware and a huge emphasis on motion controls, and companies were more in favor of using the Xbox 360 and PS3 to make games for due the extra power and more traditional controls. this caused Nintendo to try shifting their focus onto casual markets which did not turn out well, and even today despite the Switch being their most powerful console to date and a marketing success, it still is vastly underpowered compared to other consoles. after the Wii, they never really recovered

Seeing it was the most successful non-handheld for Nintendo ever, it obviously was the right decision.

if it was the right direction then people would have also been drawn to the Wii U, which they werent. the Wii hit the market at just the right time to capitalize on the casual market, because motion controls is just the type of zany bullshit that casuals are drawn to. but much like anything else society gets ahold of, it was gone faster than it arrived and then smartphones showed up to be the next zany bullshit product that all the casuals needed. the Wii wasnt even really a gaming console in the same respect as others, it was a casual device

Jranation said:
Its the same people who dislike smartphone games.

I dislike smartphone games but I love the Wii

Sowhatisthetruth.gif

Yerm said:
Mnementh said:

if it was the right direction then people would have also been drawn to the Wii U, which they werent. the Wii hit the market at just the right time to capitalize on the casual market, because motion controls is just the type of zany bullshit that casuals are drawn to. but much like anything else society gets ahold of, it was gone faster than it arrived and then smartphones showed up to be the next zany bullshit product that all the casuals needed. the Wii wasnt even really a gaming console in the same respect as others, it was a casual device

Why would people that liked the Wii like the WiiU? Despite the similar name the WiiU was different in practically every aspect. The WiiU was a new attempt at the Gamecube, and as the first Gamecube it failed.

And that the casuals moved on is an assumption that never had real ground. The companies (including Nintendo) dropped producing games for casuals towards the end of the life of the Wii. That lead to the crash of the Wii-sales. The only casual IP that was released onwards - Just Dance - showed that the casuals were still there. The sales of Just Dance declined slowly, as over years this was only IP produced for this group. Would you stay in gaming for years, if only once a year a game is released you like?