By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

bigtakilla said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No, he's not. There was no button substitute to do those things. Other examples? In Galaxy, when you had to ride those water waves, you WERE FORCED to use motion controls to steer Mario. The same thing for the plastic hamster ball later on. Would it have been easier to use an analog stick? Would it have been more practical? Of course. Why didn't they allow us that option? Because they thought motion controls were better. It's bullshit.

You steer with motion controls, you don't shake the Wii motes violently to do these actions.

I wasn't talking about shaking the controller. I was talking about forcing motion controls (shaking/steering/aiming) into core IP where traditional controls would have been more practical. At the very least, there should have been option control schemes present in all their core IP so people could have used a normal controller and played the game traditionally. 

My problem was how Nintendo tacked on less precise and less practical control schemes within their core IP because they were trying to push motion controls. They should have left their core IP alone and used motion controls within games that were invented from the ground up with them in mind like Wii Sports and Wii Play etc. 

Around the Network

There are more ways to attack something for its weaknesses then praise it for the strengths.

It has a poor reputation in the gaming community because the Wii wasn't made for them, but rather for everyone who is not yet part of that group. Though, to be fair, that's Nintendo's intention for each of their consoles, the Wii just was the first one where it actually worked.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

AlfredoTurkey said:
bigtakilla said:

You steer with motion controls, you don't shake the Wii motes violently to do these actions.

I wasn't talking about shaking the controller. I was talking about forcing motion controls (shaking/steering/aiming) into core IP where traditional controls would have been more practical. At the very least, there should have been option control schemes present in all their core IP so people could have used a normal controller and played the game traditionally. 

My problem was how Nintendo tacked on less precise and less practical control schemes within their core IP because they were trying to push motion controls. They should have left their core IP alone and used motion controls within games that were invented from the ground up with them in mind like Wii Sports and Wii Play etc. 

I thought for the games given they had a decent mix. Galaxy wasn't entirely motion control, neither was Skyward Sword.

bigtakilla said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I thought for the games given they had a decent mix. Galaxy wasn't entirely motion control, neither was Skyward Sword.

When you've got Miyamoto live onstage at E3, unveiling a new Zelda game in front of the entire world and he can't even get Link to swing his sword correctly? You know you've fucked up. That was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. 

They went too far with motion controls imo. I was ok with them in games designed for it but the core IP was just... no one asked for them and they weren't needed. 

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
bigtakilla said:

When you've got Miyamoto live onstage at E3, unveiling a new Zelda game in front of the entire world and he can't even get Link to swing his sword correctly? You know you've fucked up. That was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. 

They went too far with motion controls imo. I was ok with them in games designed for it but the core IP was just... no one asked for them and they weren't needed. 

Shit happens all the time with major games not working properly at E3. That's the joy of E3

The Wii actually has a ton of good games the problem is you have to dig through a ton of crap to find them. The system honestly reminds me of the Vita, just a large catalog of weird, niche but high quality Japanese stuff that you won't find anywhere else except I'd argue that the Wii might actually beat out the Vita in that regard

I know that the system itself sold very well, but how do the software sales for the Wii look like? Most people I know who had it mainly just used it as a family Wii Sports machine, but that's anecdotal. How do the total software sales for the Wii look like compared with other systems at its time?

Megiddo said:
I know that the system itself sold very well, but how do the software sales for the Wii look like? Most people I know who had it mainly just used it as a family Wii Sports machine, but that's anecdotal. How do the total software sales for the Wii look like compared with other systems at its time?

A lot of Nintendo 1st party had seen the highest number of sales in history.

Yeah my problem with the console was the main Controller that was designed for it.

Last edited by JSG87 - on 07 January 2018