By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

WII Super Mario Galaxy
Nintendo, 2007 97.64%
78 Reviews
WII Super Mario Galaxy 2
Nintendo EAD Tokyo /Nintendo, 2010 97.35%
56 Reviews
WII The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo, 2006 94.58%
84 Reviews
WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Nintendo, 2011 93.15%
61 Reviews
WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Game Arts/Nintendo, 2008 92.84%
78 Reviews
WII Metroid Prime Trilogy
Retro Studios/Nintendo, 2009 92.35%
34 Reviews
WII Xenoblade Chronicles
Monolith Soft/Nintendo, 2012 91.74%
42 Reviews
WII Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Capcom, 2007 91.59%
61 Reviews
WII Okami
Ready at Dawn/Capcom, 2008 90.02%
47 Reviews
WII Kirby's Epic Yarn
Good-Feel/Nintendo, 2010 88.48%
46 Reviews
WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Nintendo, 2009 88.18%
58 Reviews
WII Donkey Kong Country Returns
Retro Studios/Nintendo, 2010 87.87%
55 Reviews
WII Boom Blox Bash Party
EA LA/Electronic Arts, 2009 87.35%
36 Reviews
WII Punch-Out!!
Next Level Games/Nintendo, 2009 87.29%
48 Reviews
WII Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Eighting/Capcom, 2010 85.99%
42 Reviews
WII Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Capcom, 2007 85.98%
62 Reviews
WII Little King's Story
Cing/Marvelous Entertainment, 2009 85.89%
38 Reviews
WII Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Treasure/Nintendo, 2010 85.86%
39 Reviews
WII Super Paper Mario
Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 2007 85.16%
76 Reviews
WII Monster Hunter Tri
Capcom, 2010 84.90%
48 Reviews
WII Boom Blox
EA LA/Electronic Arts, 2008 84.68%
59 Reviews
WII No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Grasshopper Manufacture/Ubisoft, 2010 84.29%
49 Reviews
WII Dead Space: Extraction
Visceral Games/Electronic Arts, 2009 83.90%
58 Reviews
WII MadWorld
PlatinumGames/Sega, 2009 83.07%
61 Reviews
WII Bully: Scholarship Edition
Rockstar Toronto/Rockstar Games, 2008 83.03%
32 Reviews
WII No More Heroes
Grasshopper Manufacture/Ubisoft, 2008 82.72%
62 Reviews
WII Mario Kart Wii
Nintendo, 2008 82.07%
74 Reviews
WII Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Vanillaware/Marvelous Entertainment, 2009 81.94%
45 Reviews
WII WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 2007 81.82%
65 Reviews
WII Klonoa
Paon Corporation/Bandai Namco Games, 2009 81.12%
34 Reviews
WII The House of the Dead: Overkill
Headstrong Games/Sega, 2009 81.07%
56 Reviews
WII Trauma Team
Atlus, 2010

There's easily at least 15  good games on the system for it's timeframe. Most people just failed to do their research, and then proclaimed that the Wii has no games. 

Around the Network

It likely gets a bad rep for its large amount of shovelware games and motion controls, which is understandable. Not everyone's into that, especially when it's the main gimmick of a game. Likely only a small fraction of games did it well or something unique with it. The Trauma Center games I like to think are a good example of motion controls done well/interestingly.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Nem said:

Because motion controls were a fad. It clicked with average consumers who don't buy many games, but it didn't with hardcore gamers who generally buy more software.

This audience configuration ended up shapping the kind of software that was available.

Your post is factually incorrect. The attach rate on Wii was 8.99 with software sales north of 900 million. If you look at the million seller list for Wii (which is stupid long, mind you), you will see very core titles of the time like Pro Evolution Soccer, Resident Evil, New Super Mario Bros., Smash Bros., and Mario Galaxy as well as in between titles like Guitar Hero, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing as well as casual titles like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, and Big Brain Academy. Someone was buying games, and I don't think it was the audience people like you think were the mainstay of the console. That consumer demographic is not expected to spend 450+ (some games like Wii Fit were 99 instead of 49) on games for a console that many consider a, "Wii Sports machine" as you have even tried to imply. Gamers bought Wii and many Wii games so now I want to know why so many gamers seem to have such backlash against the console.

Motion controls being a fad is also factually untrue, since Wii was introduced a decade ago, has their been a console released that has not offer some form of motion controls? I cannot think of one. Even if there is one, it is clear motion controls, like touch controls, have become an industry standard and that means the, "fad" argument is dead and gone.

Ok, Mr unfactual. First, the Wii had a lower attach rate than the 360. That is factual Mr unfactual. But, to elaborate, what sold on the Wii was mostly first party stuff. The Wii was difficult to crack for third parties due to it's unique audience, wich is why they left it so quickly. Harcore gamer aimed games did not perform to expectations. For example, monster hunter tri was a sales disappointment in the west and led the series into hibernation until the 3DS. 

"Motion controls being a fad is also factually untrue"

Hahahaha! Are you serious? You are being more reaching than the VR fans are today. 

No, the 2 highest sold systems so far don't promote motion controls at all. They are not in the box, the kinect was famously dropped and the move is only used to trick people into getting another fad, wich is VR.

The only factual thing here is your refusal to look at reality. From 120m and included motion cotroller with console to sold seperatly with another peripheral that has sold about 2m in 2 years being a bigger flop than the Vita. Even Nintendo systems hardly use them anymore, and when they do it's met with disappointment. The things have been relegated to just party games.

Dear Mr unfactual, denial is not just a river in egypt.

Last edited by Nem - on 09 January 2018

KungKras said:
The Wii is my favourite system of the seventh gen.

Mine too,  it has more games that I love than the PS3 and my favorite game ever is a Wii game (Xenoblade Chronicles).

Anyway:

Nem said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Your post is factually incorrect. The attach rate on Wii was 8.99 with software sales north of 900 million. If you look at the million seller list for Wii (which is stupid long, mind you), you will see very core titles of the time like Pro Evolution Soccer, Resident Evil, New Super Mario Bros., Smash Bros., and Mario Galaxy as well as in between titles like Guitar Hero, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing as well as casual titles like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, and Big Brain Academy. Someone was buying games, and I don't think it was the audience people like you think were the mainstay of the console. That consumer demographic is not expected to spend 450+ (some games like Wii Fit were 99 instead of 49) on games for a console that many consider a, "Wii Sports machine" as you have even tried to imply. Gamers bought Wii and many Wii games so now I want to know why so many gamers seem to have such backlash against the console.

Motion controls being a fad is also factually untrue, since Wii was introduced a decade ago, has their been a console released that has not offer some form of motion controls? I cannot think of one. Even if there is one, it is clear motion controls, like touch controls, have become an industry standard and that means the, "fad" argument is dead and gone.

Ok, Mr unfactual. First, the Wii had a lower attach rate than the 360. That is factual Mr unfactual. But, to elaborate, what sold on the Wii was mostly first party stuff. The Wii was difficult to crack for third parties due to it's unique audience, wich is why they left it so quickly. Harcore gamer aimed games did not perform to expectations. For example, monster hunter tri was a sales disappointment in the west and led the series into hibernation until the 3DS. 

Hahahaha! Are you serious? You are being more reaching than the VR fans are today. 

No, the 2 highest sold systems so far don't promote motion controls at all. They are not in the box, the kinect was famously dropped and the move is only used to trick people into getting another fad, wich is VR.

The only factual thing here is your refusal to look at reality. From 120m and included motion cotroller with console to sold seperatly with another peripheral that has sold about 2m in 2 years being a bigger flop than the Vita. Even Nintendo systems hardly use them anymore, and when they do it's met with disappointment. The things have been relegated to just party games.

"You tried. You failed. The lesson, never try." - Homer Simpson.

1) Hahahaha. Not that I brought up comparisons which lets me know you cannot dispute the actual facts I put out there for you, lets lie and say Wii did have a lower attach rate than 360 (it didn't but lets say it did). That would make it the second highest attach rate of the generation. Even higher than DS, PSP, and PS3. I would still call that pretty successful. Because I can live in your liar world. Your opinion on Monster Hunter's reasoning for it, "hibernation" to 3DS is comical. I mean, who would say it, "hibernated" on PSP after starting out on PS2 because it, "western sales were so bad"? Probably you to save face but literally nobody else.

2) Did you just say every console offers motion controls a decade and two generations later? It looks like we have a fact on our hands.

3) See point 2. Oh and non promotion does not negate existence. Does Dualshock have motion controls? Don't answer that. But you know, denial is a river in Egypt...

4) What? So, you are telling me that Switch does not come with two motion controllers in the box? Or that games like Resident Evil, 1 2 Switch, Fast RMX, Splatoon, Arms, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart 8 are not supporting motion controls? Hmmmm... even Skyrim uses motion controls (I just tried them out tonight). But you know, whatever. I guess I could ignore all those games on Nintendo's console and go with your narrative because your narrative is factual. Nintendo is hardly using motion controls, after all. What was I thinking? By the way, what is the biggest complaint I see about DOOM on Switch? If you guessed graphics, you would be incorrect. If you guessed the lack of gyro aiming, you would be spot on. It would seem, someone likes motion controls and motion controls are not always met with disappointment.

And for all the name calling (which I enjoy so please, do not stop), you did not actually refute my point (any of them, really). You attempted (successfully until right now) to divert the conversation but only because your first statements were so outrageously incorrect that my response probably hurt your little e-pride. Do not worry, being wrong is OK. I am wrong all the time. Accept it and move on. Unless you are going to tell me that my statements about Wii software sales are incorrect or that the games I listed on the million seller's list is inaccurate, your best idea is to own being incorrect in your initial statement or take up this battle with yourself in the mirror. I have written enough to you. We are all entitled to our reality until the facts disprove our reality. Then we have an obligation to adjust our reality to accommodate the facts.

Last edited by GhaudePhaede010 - on 10 January 2018

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

The Wii library kinda sorta sucks. Does it have notable games? Sure.

The thing is it lacks notable core content while PS3 and 360 had tons. But Wii was cool to own for some titles and experiences you couldnt get on the HD twins.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kyuu said:

*Sigh* people really need to grow up and stop writing on behalf of the so-called haters...

More power to you if you adored your Wii, but the reasons it's largely hated are actually rather simple, clear, and straightforward. They have been restated time and time again for nearly a decade so it's beyond me why some fans turn those honest and perfectly reasonable opinions into some unjustified bitterness or petty hatred every time..

The Wii had some terrible specs (Think of it this way.. Zelda BotW would have been technically possible long ago had the Wii launched with similar specs to PS360) Nintendo redirected a good portion of their resources and thoughts towards making gimmicky and silly games meant to appeal to a demographic that had little to do with the conventional gaming we love. It also had an awful online system, poor multiplats, and weak third party support to boot considering the level of its success.

Again, if you fans are fine with all of that, then good on you! But why must everyone agree with your opinions? It goes without saying the Wii had some timeless gems, but it clearly didn't have enough A tier games from an objective standpoint.

I'm actually replying to this to point out the problem with the thread that starts with the thread title; it makes an assumption that Wii was largely hated, which clearly isn't the case. The thing is, that you only see a handful of fanboys complaining about it, which was the case ever since it's release.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Nem said:

"You tried. You failed. The lesson, never try." - Homer Simpson.

1) Hahahaha. Not that I brought up comparisons which lets me know you cannot dispute the actual facts I put out there for you, lets lie and say Wii did have a lower attach rate than 360 (it didn't but lets say it did). That would make it the second highest attach rate of the generation. Even higher than DS, PSP, and PS3. I would still call that pretty successful. Because I can live in your liar world. Your opinion on Monster Hunter's reasoning for it, "hibernation" to 3DS is comical. I mean, who would say it, "hibernated" on PSP after starting out on PS2 because it, "western sales were so bad"? Probably you to save face but literally nobody else.

2) Did you just say every console offers motion controls a decade and two generations later? It looks like we have a fact on our hands.

3) See point 2. Oh and non promotion does not negate existence. Does Dualshock have motion controls? Don't answer that. But you know, denial is a river in Egypt...

4) What? So, you are telling me that Switch does not come with two motion controllers in the box? Or that games like Resident Evil, 1 2 Switch, Fast RMX, Splatoon, Arms, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart 8 are not supporting motion controls? Hmmmm... even Skyrim uses motion controls (I just tried them out tonight). But you know, whatever. I guess I could ignore all those games on Nintendo's console and go with your narrative because your narrative is factual. Nintendo is hardly using motion controls, after all. What was I thinking? By the way, what is the biggest complaint I see about DOOM on Switch? If you guessed graphics, you would be incorrect. If you guessed the lack of gyro aiming, you would be spot on. It would seem, someone likes motion controls and motion controls are not always met with disappointment.

And for all the name calling (which I enjoy so please, do not stop), you did not actually refute my point (any of them, really). You attempted (successfully until right now) to divert the conversation but only because your first statements were so outrageously incorrect that my response probably hurt your little e-pride. Do not worry, being wrong is OK. I am wrong all the time. Accept it and move on. Unless you are going to tell me that my statements about Wii software sales are incorrect or that the games I listed on the million seller's list is inaccurate, your best idea is to own being incorrect in your initial statement or take up this battle with yourself in the mirror. I have written enough to you. We are all entitled to our reality until the facts disprove our reality. Then we have an obligation to adjust our reality to accommodate the facts.

I do wonder why people like you make this kind of threads. It never ends well. If you are not willing to accept the answers and will just take it personally and come up with BS to justify your position like the world is wrong and not you, what are you hoping to achieve? You think your thread is gonna change the opinions of people who bought and owned the system for years or were never interested in it? You're not. It's too late.

I don't have the time to be dancing with you in a dance of denial on your part. The answers were given. If you don't like them, too bad. Suck it up. I'm not gonna waste my time on fan wars.

Aeolus451 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

NES and SNES were market leaders at the time... Probably made more money than the PS1 as well. 

Market leaders with really low sales in comparison to what sony managed to do with the playstation consoles. The PS1 sold  almost double the games that the NES did and almost 3 times the games that the SNES sold. The PS1 also had a higher tie ration than either one. So I doubt that nintendo made more money on NES and SNES than sony did with the PS1.

The household penetration of the PS1 in the US is almost identical to that of the NES. The growth of these newer consoles came from new markets (like Europe) and population growth.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Mr Puggsly said:
The Wii library kinda sorta sucks. Does it have notable games? Sure.

The thing is it lacks notable core content while PS3 and 360 had tons. But Wii was cool to own for some titles and experiences you couldnt get on the HD twins.

I played soo many good core games on the Wii.

Are we living in the same universe?

I LOVE ICELAND!