By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does Wii Really Get A Bad Rap?

Mnementh said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The people that bought those games were not the people saying the Wii sucked. 

Wait... So, poeple hated the Wii, because casuals bought that didn't bought Nintendo-games, but some people that like Nintendo games not hated the Wii, bought the system and games and their number was bigger than on other NIntendo systems which didn't got as much hate???

I have no idea what you just asked me. I'll draw you a Venn diagram when I get home. 

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Aeolus451 said:

Market leaders with really low sales in comparison to what sony managed to do with the playstation consoles. The PS1 sold  almost double the games that the NES did and almost 3 times the games that the SNES sold. The PS1 also had a higher tie ration than either one. So I doubt that nintendo made more money on NES and SNES than sony did with the PS1.

Yeah hardware and software sales are not always an indicator of profit. Just ask X360 and PS3, I'd venture to say NES and SNES each garnered more profit than both combined.

PS3 and Xbox 360 both lost billions, so yeah.

Anyway, the Wii was a very Nintendo console, the most Nintendo a console had been since the NES. At the opposite end of the spectrum was GameCube, the least innovative console Nintendo ever released along with the 3DS; although, the 3DS at least resembled another Nintendo console, and not some feature-gimped kiddified version of PlayStation 2. If you look at the Nintendo fans who disliked Wii, they’re the GameCube defence force; they’re the same people among the Nintendo fan base who don’t like the Switch - another very Nintendo console.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 January 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Aeolus451 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

NES and SNES were market leaders at the time... Probably made more money than the PS1 as well. 

Market leaders with really low sales in comparison to what sony managed to do with the playstation consoles. The PS1 sold  almost double the games that the NES did and almost 3 times the games that the SNES sold. The PS1 also had a higher tie ration than either one. So I doubt that nintendo made more money on NES and SNES than sony did with the PS1.

You are seriously arguing NES, which was the best selling console ever at the time, had low sales? Just because PS1 outsold it 10 years (2 generations) later when the gaming industry grew spectacularly? Please think about how ridiculous this argument is for a few seconds.

mk500 said:
It was released at a time when just about everyone had upgraded to HDTVs

Not actually true, at the time Wii released, the vast majority still used SDTVs. 

Hell, in November 2008, two years after the release of the Wii, less than 30% of US households had a HDTV.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 January 2018

Mostly triggered hardcore snowflakes who's delusions were shattered when they realized that other people outside their little nerd-core club can play video games too. Even today, they're still salty about it, and continue to cry "waggle", "shovelware", and "abandonment" all without any idea about the context or reality behind those claims.

The Wii isn't a perfect console, but the hate it got much of its life is often fabricated lies to discredit the impact it had on gaming.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Mostly triggered hardcore snowflakes who's delusions were shattered when they realized that other people outside their little nerd-core club can play video games too. Even today, they're still salty about it, and continue to cry "waggle", "shovelware", and "abandonment" all without any idea about the context or reality behind those claims.

The Wii isn't a perfect console, but the hate it got much of its life is often fabricated lies to discredit the impact it had on gaming.

I thought it was funnier when the “hardcore” kept referring to themselves as “1337” because they thought it was hip.

I think a gamer calling themselves “hardcore” is what most people would call pretentious. The abandonment thing was super funny, especially when traditional anti-Nintendo types were claiming that sort of victim status.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

My issues with the Wii were mainly the over-the-top motion controls tainting the games that I did want to play, and a general lack of many of the types of games that I enjoy (quality JRPGs).

The Wii U had motion controls, but it wasn't forced the way it was on the Wii. The funny thing is that I actually enjoyed motion controls in games like Splatoon where it is optional and rather subtle movements are all that were needed. As soon as you need a wrist-strap, though, it is going too far.

Apart from Xenoblade, there were also not really any remarkable RPG's on the Wii, in my opinion. Paper Mario was a step down on Wii from the Gamecube version, Fire Emblem was a step down from Gamecube's, Tales of Symphonia was basically just a port of the Gamecube version. Other games like Pandora's Tower or Chocobo's Dungeon are just too short (20 hours) for me to be bothered getting into (I honestly don't know why companies make RPG's that are this short, it doesn't even feel worthwhile to me to learn the battle system when I can beat the game in a weekend). I mean compare the Wii to the Gamecube, SNES or 3DS in terms of amazing JRPG's and it isn't even in the same universe.

I mean it's not a terrible console and I am happy it made Nintendo a ton of money with it, it just didn't interest me for the above reasons.

Jumpin said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Yeah hardware and software sales are not always an indicator of profit. Just ask X360 and PS3, I'd venture to say NES and SNES each garnered more profit than both combined.

PS3 and Xbox 360 both lost billions, so yeah.

Anyway, the Wii was a very Nintendo console, the most Nintendo a console had been since the NES. At the opposite end of the spectrum was GameCube, the least innovative console Nintendo ever released along with the 3DS; although, the 3DS at least resembled another Nintendo console, and not some feature-gimped kiddified version of PlayStation 2. If you look at the Nintendo fans who disliked Wii, they’re the GameCube defence force; they’re the same people among the Nintendo fan base who don’t like the Switch - another very Nintendo console.

It is funny that you say this (for me it is funny) because my least like Nintendo console is Gamecube and my most like Nintendo console is Wii (DS is right behind Wii). My exact problem with Gamecube was that it felt like Nintendo's first major, "me too" console. I do see many Gamecube fans that seem to dislike Wii but I also see a lot of people in general that dislike Wii: Sony fans, some Nintendo fans, and Microsoft fans. I do not think Wii backlash is coming primarily from one group but I can see that the group you mentioned seem to carry that, "ax to grind" if you will.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Illusion said:

My issues with the Wii were mainly the over-the-top motion controls tainting the games that I did want to play, and a general lack of many of the types of games that I enjoy (quality JRPGs).

The Wii U had motion controls, but it wasn't forced the way it was on the Wii. The funny thing is that I actually enjoyed motion controls in games like Splatoon where it is optional and rather subtle movements are all that were needed. As soon as you need a wrist-strap, though, it is going too far.

Apart from Xenoblade, there were also not really any remarkable RPG's on the Wii, in my opinion. Paper Mario was a step down on Wii from the Gamecube version, Fire Emblem was a step down from Gamecube's, Tales of Symphonia was basically just a port of the Gamecube version. Other games like Pandora's Tower or Chocobo's Dungeon are just too short (20 hours) for me to be bothered getting into (I honestly don't know why companies make RPG's that are this short, it doesn't even feel worthwhile to me to learn the battle system when I can beat the game in a weekend). I mean compare the Wii to the Gamecube, SNES or 3DS in terms of amazing JRPG's and it isn't even in the same universe.

I mean it's not a terrible console and I am happy it made Nintendo a ton of money with it, it just didn't interest me for the above reasons.

You and I have completely opposite taste, it seems. I loved Wii's implementation of motion (and especially pointer) controls. I felt like Splatoon was awful because of the control scheme. I felt like the game was made for pointer controls and they did not even give me the option. You see, the thing about Wii was that it did give you options in most games. My brother played Conduit 2 with me and he used dual analog of the Classic Controller while I used the pointer and nunchuk. In Splatoon, we did not get that option and it cost the game a buy from me.

As far as RPG's go, I feel you. No console from the seventh gen was really killing it on the RPG front in my opinion so I am not going to hold it more against Nintendo than other consoles. Actually, my go to RPG console of that generation was DS. We do agree on this point. Thank you for your insight.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

mysteryman said:
Because it wasn’t cool.

The rhetoric of Nintendo catering only to children is now so ingrained that Wii ‘winning’ the generation causes cognitive dissonance for ‘hardcore’ gamers.

By discounting the Wii, two opposing mindsets may be adopted:
“Games are cool and mature.”
“The Wii is for kids, but adults played it.”
Because the adults that played the Wii don’t count; they were soccer moms and grandparents, not ‘hardcore’ gamers.

The truth is that games are childish by nature. People confuse ‘adult’ games as being mature. But it is only the content of the game that is mature; playing a game is still childish.

Ironically, the desire to be seen as mature is childish. True maturity is not caring.

The Wii was an amazing console. Family members that would usually complain about anyone using electronics at a family function were now the first to fire up the Wii for some bowling. I played with so many people I never thought possible beforehand.

The Wii changed the image of gaming to something that everyone could enjoy and it was no longer cool to ‘hardcore’ gamers.

A cognitive dissonance argument. I love this post and I will most definitely be looking more into the opinions presented here. I really appreciate your post.

I also appreciate everyone's replies. I decided to back off of replying with any challenging questions and just allow the community to talk it out. I believe this topic was actually very successful in its ability to create a conversation that I feel was needed in the community (meanwhile I was able to gain a lot of new information and opinions) so again, thank you to everyone that responded.

Mods, if you would be so kind as to close this topic. I believe it has served its purpose.