By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?

RolStoppable said:
sergiodaly said:

that was example of a price he would like to see, and the mention of the PS Vita TV was just to explain the concept of the console, not to draw comparisons...

me personally , would only buy it for 150 because that is what i think is a good price for this "Switch"...

So this thread is basically like asking if people are interested in a $199 PS4 in mid-2014.

Did i mention any price (other than saying "cheaper") in the OP? No. So no,  this has nothing to do with price... Just because someone pointed out a price tag they would like for this new sku doesn't change the original intention of the thread. 

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Normchacho said:

More than one thing can be expensive...

Edit: Plus, it's largely the same internal hardware and it's $100 less.

But Shield can't do anything worth of value, so it's obscenely expensive.

And it isn't selling very well.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Alkibiádēs said:
Normchacho said:

Nope. There are those of us who are interested in Nintendo games but aren't interested in their gimmicks.

Portability is not a gimmick.

Exactly. It's just more options.

caffeinade said:
RolStoppable said:

Why can it only stream and not do anything on its own?

It can play games too.

Remember that news story a month or so ago about Gamecube and Wii games getting ported to Nvidia's device.
This is the device the games are getting ported too.

It can also play Tomb Raider (2013), Half-Life 2, Portal and more.

But aren't the games just being streamed? I am pretty sure they are.

Baddman said:
caffeinade said:

It can play games too.

Remember that news story a month or so ago about Gamecube and Wii games getting ported to Nvidia's device.
This is the device the games are getting ported too.

It can also play Tomb Raider (2013), Half-Life 2, Portal and more.

But aren't the games just being streamed? I am pretty sure they are.

Nvidia offers a game streaming service, where people can rent game-time on powerful servers from Nvidia.
The games I listed run on the console itself (though you could probably stream the games if you wanted to).

Around the Network

From a commercial point of view a cheaper "only docked" version would probably backfire. It would only make the regular switch look more expensive a less convenient, thus making pressure for Nintendo to lower the price. At the same the "only TV" model should still cost less since it lacks the main feature of portability. In the end it would only be a vicious cycle.

Imo, an "only TV" model could have more chances to work if priced the same as the regular Switch. In that case it should offer better graphical quality to compensate the loss of portability (higher resolution and the likes).

Last edited by freebs2 - on 04 January 2018

SegataSanshiro said:
Normchacho said:

Nope. There are those of us who are interested in Nintendo games but aren't interested in their gimmicks.

You would be in the severe minority and not enough people to justify it just like Vita TV. Just because thousands of retro SEGA fans say they want a Dreamcast 2 doesn't mean overall there is enough real demand to make it happen. Your voice along with a few others in the minuscule percentage are irrelevant.  The idea is still stupid. So yep.  If you don't want to take it on the go...you don't have to. You can leave it in the dock. Really hard I know. You were never going to buy one anyway.  Anytime people like you who toss the word Nintendo and gimmick in the same sentence and a few others show up demand they change this or that are people who never planned to buy anyway. You won't be missed as a noncustomer. It's not happening so get over it. It wouldn't be worth the effort for them and it seems the Switch is selling an alarming rate so it's pretty clear they don't need to change a thing.

Get me understand this, the idea it's stupid, but using the switch the way the idea describes it it's not stupid. OK. So i have to pay for a screen, battery,  detachable controllers, motion sensors and what not just for the option that I will never use... OK, that is not stupid at all...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Nope. Maybe if released as a late system life revision or my dream retro console that plays every Nintendo home and portable console but a box that plays Switch titles goes against the entire point of the concept.

It'd end up costing close to the same amount, and I'd probably feel like I was missing out on a key aspect.

Jule like with Vita TV, several games wouldn't even work like that.

sergiodaly said:
SegataSanshiro said:

You would be in the severe minority and not enough people to justify it just like Vita TV. Just because thousands of retro SEGA fans say they want a Dreamcast 2 doesn't mean overall there is enough real demand to make it happen. Your voice along with a few others in the minuscule percentage are irrelevant.  The idea is still stupid. So yep.  If you don't want to take it on the go...you don't have to. You can leave it in the dock. Really hard I know. You were never going to buy one anyway.  Anytime people like you who toss the word Nintendo and gimmick in the same sentence and a few others show up demand they change this or that are people who never planned to buy anyway. You won't be missed as a noncustomer. It's not happening so get over it. It wouldn't be worth the effort for them and it seems the Switch is selling an alarming rate so it's pretty clear they don't need to change a thing.

Get me understand this, the idea it's stupid, but using the switch the way the idea describes it it's not stupid. OK. So i have to pay for a screen, battery,  detachable controllers, motion sensors and what not just for the option that I will never use... OK, that is not stupid at all...

It's stupid for Nintendo tp put in the effort for something almost no one will buy because as proven with Shieeild TV,Ouya and Vita TV the demand is not there. You don't matter. Sorry but it's true. Either buy one or don't. Nintendo isn't missing you.