By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?

No, it would kind of defeat the purpose for me.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

No, but I would be interested in a Nintendo Switch ala DS-3DS, handheld only with dual screen and an actual d-pad.

If it is not more powerful I do not see the point. I mean sure it could be cheaper, but the Switch is selling on the hybrid nature or in some cases pure portability. I just don't see it being desired too much at its current power level if the WiiU is anything to go by. Sure there are other reasons for the failure of the WiiU, but it does show that exclusives alone won't make it worth the venture.

And it would be pointlesa to make it vastly more powerful, because then we would have another console and handheld situation and the library could be divided again. It would have to remain around the same powerlevel to keep the unified library that fhe Switch seems to be pushing for.

So while I am sure there are many of us that might buy it, the bulk of the consumer base will see no point. Honestly I see and handheld only model being the only "dedicated" model that makes sense TBH.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

SegataSanshiro said:
sergiodaly said:

Get me understand this, the idea it's stupid, but using the switch the way the idea describes it it's not stupid. OK. So i have to pay for a screen, battery,  detachable controllers, motion sensors and what not just for the option that I will never use... OK, that is not stupid at all...

It's stupid for Nintendo tp put in the effort for something almost no one will buy because as proven with Shieeild TV,Ouya and Vita TV the demand is not there. You don't matter. Sorry but it's true. Either buy one or don't. Nintendo isn't missing you.

Unless I ask the question, how would I know if I'm alone in this situation or not... No need to get so aggressive in defending nintendo from what is clearly not a attack. Nintendo wouldn't need to put such effort in this, since sony did it effortless, at least they did try. Last but not least, Nintendo doesn't need me? Last time i checked, they're a company aiming to reach everyone, how do you dare to exclude me from a plan that is not yours to command?

Edit: I don't even know why I'm engaging with, you the purpose of the thread was to know if people would buy it. If it makes sense for the business or not wasn't what I wanted to know because I already have a opinion on that so I don't need yours... 

Last edited by sergiodaly - on 05 January 2018

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

SegataSanshiro said:
Normchacho said:

Nope. There are those of us who are interested in Nintendo games but aren't interested in their gimmicks.

You would be in the severe minority and not enough people to justify it just like Vita TV. Just because thousands of retro SEGA fans say they want a Dreamcast 2 doesn't mean overall there is enough real demand to make it happen. Your voice along with a few others in the minuscule percentage are irrelevant.  The idea is still stupid. So yep.  If you don't want to take it on the go...you don't have to. You can leave it in the dock. Really hard I know. You were never going to buy one anyway.  Anytime people like you who toss the word Nintendo and gimmick in the same sentence and a few others show up demand they change this or that are people who never planned to buy anyway. You won't be missed as a noncustomer. It's not happening so get over it. It wouldn't be worth the effort for them and it seems the Switch is selling an alarming rate so it's pretty clear they don't need to change a thing.

'You won't be missed as a noncustomer.'

That's a sentence I really need to highlight. Best line I've read in a while! 

Around the Network
Shiken said:
If it is not more powerful I do not see the point. I mean sure it could be cheaper, but the Switch is selling on the hybrid nature or in some cases pure portability. I just don't see it being desired too much at its current power level if the WiiU is anything to go by. Sure there are other reasons for the failure of the WiiU, but it does show that exclusives alone won't make it worth the venture.

And it would be pointlesa to make it vastly more powerful, because then we would have another console and handheld situation and the library could be divided again. It would have to remain around the same powerlevel to keep the unified library that fhe Switch seems to be pushing for.

So while I am sure there are many of us that might buy it, the bulk of the consumer base will see no point. Honestly I see and handheld only model being the only "dedicated" model that makes sense TBH.

Of course the idea it's not to take away anything from the current switch, and clearly this would be a nich and hard situation for the marketing department, but sony did it for the vita almost effortless and Vita strikes me as a harder conversion, so this would just be a option for the few that thinks switch is not worth the price just because it does many things that doesn't interest us. The screen, battery, detachable controllers and dock and that adapter for the controllers all traded for a normal controller would cut the price significantly, enough to convince many people that isn't yet.

I don't see any downside... Clearly Nintendo didn't have the idea to do this originally, because the name locks it behind the hybrid concept, but now, after the success of the hardware and the games the platform is delivering, widening that platform to sell more games is always a good bet imo.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

even if they made a docked-only Switch they would still need to make games could run on both versions of the console, so giving it a ton of extra power would be kind of a waste. I think the best logical step for Nintendo at this point is ride out the Switch for as long as they can before introducing the Switch 2 as their next console. also remember, even though it is underpowered, it is still Nintendo's most powerful console ever

The true intention of this thread was to show us which of us forum dwellers are too cheap to buy a Switch, and OP did a fantastic job at exposing them.

When you consider buying a product but the price is too high, you don't buy it. Simple as that. You wait for the price to come down eventually. There's no debating about 'what if they cut out this or cut out that or..' No. If you really would want to buy one, you would buy one.

Finally, to answer OP's question, I would not be interested. I love switching between both modes. I'm playing Skyrim right now while lying in my bed. 

Also, I think the price is fair already.

Nope

GoOnKid said: 

When you consider buying a product but the price is too high, you don't buy it. Simple as that. You wait for the price to come down eventually. There's no debating about 'what if they cut out this or cut out that or..' No. If you really would want to buy one, you would buy one.

You say this without any explanation. Why shouldn't people propose hypothetical different models with different price points?