By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?

RolStoppable said:
caffeinade said:

The Switch is more complex.
A Switch TV would not need to have things like rails to connect the Joycon.
Nintendo would not need to pack in grips, docks and the Joycon straps.

A Switch TV would greatly reduce the device's complexity, and would likely come after the main unit's first price cut.

Plastic must be really expensive these days.

It all adds up.
Someone or thing has to fit all that plastic in a box, and ship it across the world.
A Switch TV could probably fit in a box the size of a 3DS XL, that is probably much easier to ship.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6
If Nvidia can make a 200 USD Switch TV, Nintendo can too.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
RolStoppable said:

Plastic must be really expensive these days.

It all adds up.
Someone or thing has to fit all that plastic in a box, and ship it across the world.
A Switch TV could probably fit in a box the size of a 3DS XL, that is probably much easier to ship.

Shield hasn't been a great success for Nvidia. Ouya tried to take the mobile game sand put them in a stationary box as did Vita TV. None of these took the world by storm.

..nope

RolStoppable said:
caffeinade said:

It all adds up.

Cardboard must also be expensive these days.

The product description reads like a streaming device, not something that does all of the actual processing. Is this really comparable?

It uses the same SoC as the Switch, and is clocked higher.
In other words: it is a fair bit faster than the Switch.
Though the Switch does have an extra GB of RAM.

Options are always nice.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Normchacho said:

Nope. There are those of us who are interested in Nintendo games but aren't interested in their gimmicks.

You would be in the severe minority and not enough people to justify it just like Vita TV. Just because thousands of retro SEGA fans say they want a Dreamcast 2 doesn't mean overall there is enough real demand to make it happen. Your voice along with a few others in the minuscule percentage are irrelevant.  The idea is still stupid. So yep.  If you don't want to take it on the go...you don't have to. You can leave it in the dock. Really hard I know. You were never going to buy one anyway.  Anytime people like you who toss the word Nintendo and gimmick in the same sentence and a few others show up demand they change this or that are people who never planned to buy anyway. You won't be missed as a noncustomer. It's not happening so get over it. It wouldn't be worth the effort for them and it seems the Switch is selling an alarming rate so it's pretty clear they don't need to change a thing.

First off, why are you personally offended by the idea that someone may not actually care that the Switch is a hybrid?

Is the topic of the thread "Does it make sense for Nintendo to make a Switch console?" Is the topic of my post "It makes sense for Nintendo to make a Switch console."? Nope. The thread asks if we'd be interested, I said yes, you said that it was dumb, I pointed out that not everyone wants what you want.

For those of us who, as I said, are interested in Nintendo games, but just want a normal system, the things that make the Switch a hybrid add a lot of cost without adding any value.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

RolStoppable said:
caffeinade said:

It uses the same SoC as the Switch, and is clocked higher.
In other words: it is a fair bit faster than the Switch.
Though the Switch does have an extra GB of RAM.

Why can it only stream and not do anything on its own?

It can play games too.

Remember that news story a month or so ago about Gamecube and Wii games getting ported to Nvidia's device.
This is the device the games are getting ported too.

It can also play Tomb Raider (2013), Half-Life 2, Portal and more.

RolStoppable said:
caffeinade said:

It can play games too.

Remember that news story a month or so ago about Gamecube and Wii games getting ported to Nvidia's device.
This is the device the games are getting ported too.

It can also play Tomb Raider (2013), Half-Life 2, Portal and more.

If it can only do that and is so expensive, why do some people say Switch is expensive?

More than one thing can be expensive...

Edit: Plus, it's largely the same internal hardware and it's $100 less.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
SegataSanshiro said:
That's dumb. it loses the entire point so with a name like a Switch on it would be silly. Then people would just whine it's only an underpowered console. If anyone bought Voez they would have wasted money.

Nope. There are those of us who are interested in Nintendo games but aren't interested in their gimmicks.

Portability is not a gimmick.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

RolStoppable said:
Normchacho said:

More than one thing can be expensive...

Edit: Plus, it's largely the same internal hardware and it's $100 less.

But Shield can't do anything worth of value, so it's obscenely expensive.

The Switch cannot play Portal or Half-Life 2.
I cannot stream games from my PC to the Switch.
I cannot stream video from a range of platforms on the Switch.

The Shield TV cannot play Super Mario Odyssey.