Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

RolStoppable said:
Hiku said:

Did a Pokemon game release around months 6-7 for GBA by any chance?

That's the holiday season. The GBA launched in May 2001.

Ah, then Switch could have a similar pattern on the chart once this holiday season is accounted for. Aside from it launching a couple of months earlier in the year.
It looks like GBA jumped up by roughly 900k in November, looking at that chart. And iirc Switch sold over 800k in Nov.

Last edited by Hiku - on 04 January 2018

Around the Network

Way to go Nintendo! Congrats!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

pastro243 said:
Really good job! What surprises me is that the GBA was ahead of all of them

Makes me wonder how much the GBA could have sold if it didn't have its legs cut from under it by the PSP and DS war.

Hiku said:
RolStoppable said:

That's the holiday season. The GBA launched in May 2001.

Ah, then Switch may have a pretty similar pattern on the chart once this holiday season is accounted for. Aside from it launching a couple of months earlier in the year.

The chart shows only the first five months for Switch and it is now known that it is at 4.8m after month 10. The most comparable console is the 3DS because it also launched in March. You can basically imagine the red Switch line parallel to the orange 3DS line and it will be quite accurate.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
I don't get why Nintendo always ignore the GBA in those dichiarations... like, when Switch launched, they said Wii was the previus faster seller Nintendo console, when GBA pretty much obliterate Wii launch.

And now too, Switch is not at GBA level. Actually, not even close. First 10 months GBA sold over 5.8 million, Switch is at only 4.8 million.

"I don't get why PR prefers to declare #1 over declaring #2."

Ok, this time is pretty obvius why.

But let's talk about the first dichiaration. Switch beat GBA anyway, so why say Wii was the old record when it clearly was GBA?

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 11m, XB1 4m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, 9m PS4 and 3m XB1, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
RolStoppable said:

"I don't get why PR prefers to declare #1 over declaring #2."

Ok, this time is pretty obvius why.

But let's talk about the first dichiaration. Switch beat GBA anyway, so why say Wii was the old record when it clearly was GBA?

Most likely because back then Nintendo's PR was hard at work to portray Switch as a home console that you can take anywhere, so consequently they compared its sales to previous home consoles.

The reason why it's so important to pitch Switch as a home gaming system are the software prices. If consumers perceived Switch as a handheld, they would be looking at a jump in software prices from $40 to $60 which is an increase that is unprecedented from one generation to the next. Buf if consumers perceive Switch as a home gaming system, then $60 for software is perfectly normal.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Hiku said:
takoyaki7 said:

Did a Pokemon game release around months 6-7 for GBA by any chance?

Holidays, it launched in June

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Great job N. Love the form factor!

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Well it's to be expected. The switch had a launch month and 2 holiday months in its first 10 months while other console usually launch in November and only get the launch boosts from November and some holiday sales from December. Would be more surprising If this is true when the Switch has been out for 12 months.

jason1637 said:
Well it's to be expected. The switch had a launch month and 2 holiday months in its first 10 months while other console usually launch in November and only get the launch boosts from November and some holiday sales from December. Would be more surprising If this is true when the Switch has been out for 12 months.

It will likely be, even in this case.