By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

This shouldn't surprise anyone because it has both launch month and holidays,which is a huge advantage.btw congrats Nintendo and i hope that more third parties game sell on the hybrid than the same old Nintendo games.

Around the Network

I wonder if this will have an effect on future console release dates.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not annoyed and you know he isn't right.

So the premisse to have Switch success is doing all by yourself?? And some other threads we just have people saying how much good relationship Nintendo have with 3rd parties.

You do come across as annoyed. If any company could do something like Switch, then why did none of those other companies you alluded to have success with what they have done?

I return to my point that being the first to get it to success doesn't make one the sole one to be able to achieve it.

Or shall we say Sony is the sole one that could have pulled a over 100M console on the market because they were the first one?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LinkDaHero said:

Not necessarily... there have been (un)successfull launched on March and November before... so Swtich being sucessful with a March release shouldn't impact much.

Companies want to release their products as soon as possible in the best slot. It is likely that Nintendo would release in November if they could have made it earlier, but wouldn't delay it just to release on November.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

You do come across as annoyed. If any company could do something like Switch, then why did none of those other companies you alluded to have success with what they have done?

I return to my point that being the first to get it to success doesn't make one the sole one to be able to achieve it.

Or shall we say Sony is the sole one that could have pulled a over 100M console on the market because they were the first one?

No, we wouldn't say that, since Game Boy reached 100 million four years before PS1 did.

Around the Network
cosmic_drift said:
Flilix said:

Great numbers! I can see it coming close to 30m lifetime.

Switch will most certainly surpass 30m in its lifetime

It's possible, but it's still too early to tell. I could become a huge hit (like the Wii and DS), or maybe it will have amazing legs, but we can't tell that yet after just one year.

LinkDaHero said:

Don't know, but I can tell you it will probably have an effect on dedicated home consoles, as in we are never going to see those again with Nintendo and dedicated home systems are what I am more interested in, and since I haven't heard about a single other person wanting this, I think I can say with confidence that I'm the last guy on earth who wants a dedicated home console from Nintendo.

Hmm you guys think a market of 1 sale in the whole world could ever motivate Nintendo to do a dedicated home system again? 

Those numbers are really impressive.

But knowing the background of Nintendo, I don't know if they will support the system for many years. Also, the hardware in a few years will be really outpaced by the Ps5/Next Xbox, this means that the ports for the games released in those consoles will not be possible on the switch. Exclusive games will need to be make.

Nintendo Released the Big hitters in 2017: Zelda, Mario kart, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Xenoblade. I know I know that Pokemon and Metroid and a few more are pending. But the gap between each main game is like 3-5 years.

Nintendo doing awesome in America is not surprising to me. It just shows how unappealing the 3DS and Wii U were. Lifetime sales of the Switch should be between DS and Wii numbers but I think the Switch will be closer to DS numbers.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Does it annoy you that he is right? It takes both the hardware and software expertise of a company like Nintendo to create something like Switch, because a new concept like Switch will be met by great skepticism and therefore third parties can't be counted on to sell the console.

If you disagree with that, you won't get around listing the companies that could make a successful video game console solely on the strength of their own software output. And if you can't think of any such company, then what's holding you back from agreeing?

I'm not annoyed and you know he isn't right.

So the premisse to have Switch success is doing all by yourself?? And some other threads we just have people saying how much good relationship Nintendo have with 3rd parties.

GuyDuke said:

Woah, slow down Don. Nintendo did fuck it up with Virtual Boy. Many others made more compelling VR devices.

I haven't said they never failed or never do good consoles... but the assumption that only Nintendo could make Switch when other companies have done almost the same even before Nintendo is the point that is exagerated.

Have he said Nintendo made a great system and dev great games would get no refuttal from me. But his comment is like saying if Einstein wasn't born we wouldn't know about relativity. Or also if he said Nintendo was the first to make a compeling hybrid like Switch I also would have no issue.

That's not what he's saying. None of the other 'switch-like' devices have seen the runaway success that the Switch has been, because none have had the first party support to back it up until third parties jump on board.

Sure, nintendo has done great work with indies in the last 1,5 years and has tried hard to woo AAA third party publishers, going so far as to hand Ubi their most presious IP to work on to secure an exclusive. And they have done this with some success. While Bethesda is showing great support and Rockstar, UBI and 2K moderate support, some, like EA and Capcom, are sluggish to jump onboard to say the least. A console wihtout the first party strenghth of Nintendo behind to drive sales could not have bridged the gaps in third party support still present. Nintendo was able to rely on their IP ad took risks that payed off in a major way with this system, while still working on improving their third party relationships.