By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

Congrats to Switch. Well deserved sales for Nintendo!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

For the people complaining about holiday vs no holiday, Switch sold more in the US in 2017 than PS4 did in 2014.

Thats 12 months vs 10 months but since Switch's launch montg was about the same as 3 regular months it evens out.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

SuperNova said:
GuyDuke said:

It will likely be, even in this case.

Judging by the table, the switch need to sell around 200k in january and feburary each, to stay ahead of Wii and PS4. Not sure how realistic that is in the worst months of the year, but it certainly doesn't seem undoable.

Those arent the worst months at all.

January still does decent, likely from people spending Christmas money and Feb is pretty big due to tax returns.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:
John19 said:

It had far from a well stocked launch in March

The launch numbers were very far from a console that wasn't well supplied

quickrick said:
John19 said:

It had far from a well stocked launch in March

900k for a launch in march is pretty good. it had more stock then most console launches during  november, and thats a holiday period where consoles do near a million with out even a launch demand.

Doesn't change the fact that it was heavily supply constrained for the entire month, and it most likely could have done more if more had been shipped

Great numbers! I can see it coming close to 30m lifetime.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Im honestly shocked. This makes it especially funny that the nintendo fan at kindafunnygames said switch was "only" doing 2.5 mil in the U.S. a few months ago and that hed expect it to be better

Colin "Vita is set to succeed" Moriarty did a apology video recently.

I find it funny. Because these types of people, when proven wrong, will always do a "I'm glad I was wrong, i was always a nintendo fan!" video. However, when they're right, they will drive it into the ground and make multiple "I was right fanboys!!" videos. It's pretty disgusting.

Wow, a lot of backhanded compliments in that one "The game is great even if the Metacritic score is ridiculous," "It won't sell in the long term but I don't care," etc.

Also a lot of him saying he always believed, just like you said.

zorg1000 said:
For the people complaining about holiday vs no holiday, Switch sold more in the US in 2017 than PS4 did in 2014.

Thats 12 months vs 10 months but since Switch's launch montg was about the same as 3 regular months it evens out.

switch had huge advantage in day one buyers for 2017, i'm sure ps4 could have did way better numbers had it released in march. 2 million easy in march n april. 

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

switch had huge advantage in day one buyers for 2017, i'm sure ps4 could have did way better numbers had it released in march. 2 million easy in march n april. 

I literally just told you Switch sales in March were the equivalent of 3 regular months, therefore its not an advantage.

cycycychris said:
DonFerrari said:

Except NVidia shield already exists, there is a chinese HW that launched before Switch that is very similar, other HH already connected to the tv, etc... so it isn't something revolutionary that Nintendo developed in a vacuum.

While a few other company's have made a product vaguely similar, but none could make a product that is compelling to the market. None could fit all the features nintendo has, none could design there product to be so ergonomic. They failed to create the software to utilize the hardware. Nintendo might not be the first with every part of the switch, but the beat out every product on the product with there design and features. It's not even arguable that Nintendo is the only one that could make a product so greatly design and inovative like the switch.

Yes sure, all hail Nintendo

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

Judging by the table, the switch need to sell around 200k in january and feburary each, to stay ahead of Wii and PS4. Not sure how realistic that is in the worst months of the year, but it certainly doesn't seem undoable.

They aren't the worst months of the year. Both belong to the better non-holiday months despite being four-week-periods and successful consoles have cleared the 200k mark in each month with ease in the past. It would be concerning if Switch finished below 500k combined for those two months.

EDIT: Looking through old NPD threads, the PS4 only failed once to exceed 200k in January, but that occasion was followed up with 340k in February. February is generally the stronger month because of tax returns in the USA.

Thanks for providing context. I honestly didn't know what constitues an average jan+feb in the US. Thanks for putting in the research for lazy me! :P

I thought january was usually one of the weaker months and I thought tax returns were in march, so I assumed feburary was similar to jan. I know the later summer months are bad, but I thought jan+feb were about on par.

So barring a catastrophy Switch should be comfortably ahead of both the Wii and PS4 after 12 months.