By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

John19 said:
DonFerrari said:

The launch numbers were very far from a console that wasn't well supplied

quickrick said:

900k for a launch in march is pretty good. it had more stock then most console launches during  november, and thats a holiday period where consoles do near a million with out even a launch demand.

Doesn't change the fact that it was heavily supply constrained for the entire month, and it most likely could have done more if more had been shipped

Same for PS4 and even X1, your point?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

switch had huge advantage in day one buyers for 2017, i'm sure ps4 could have did way better numbers had it released in march. 2 million easy in march n april. 

I literally just told you Switch sales in March were the equivalent of 3 regular months, therefore its not an advantage.

I'm trying to tell you if ps4 launched in march 2014, it would have much better sales for 2014, it had huge pent up demand, that was fulfilled in november-december, those were most mostly early adopters that wanted the product day one.  

DonFerrari said:
cycycychris said:

While a few other company's have made a product vaguely similar, but none could make a product that is compelling to the market. None could fit all the features nintendo has, none could design there product to be so ergonomic. They failed to create the software to utilize the hardware. Nintendo might not be the first with every part of the switch, but the beat out every product on the product with there design and features. It's not even arguable that Nintendo is the only one that could make a product so greatly design and inovative like the switch.

Yes sure, all hail Nintendo

Woah, slow down Don. Nintendo did fuck it up with Virtual Boy. Many others made more compelling VR devices.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

I literally just told you Switch sales in March were the equivalent of 3 regular months, therefore its not an advantage.

I'm trying to tell you if ps4 launched in march 2014, it would have much better sales for 2014, it had huge pent up demand, that was fulfilled in november-december, those were most mostly early adopters that wanted the product day one.  

Switch would have also sold better if it weren't for the insane stock problems they experienced all the way through Summer until now.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

How about we discuss facts and not stupid hypothetical situations or opinions based on nothing?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

According to the article on VGC the system sold 4.8 million units in 10 months in the US.
So no other system has ever sold more than that within 10 months in the US? That's 100k per week which is not bad but hardly sounds like a record number.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Does it annoy you that he is right? It takes both the hardware and software expertise of a company like Nintendo to create something like Switch, because a new concept like Switch will be met by great skepticism and therefore third parties can't be counted on to sell the console.

If you disagree with that, you won't get around listing the companies that could make a successful video game console solely on the strength of their own software output. And if you can't think of any such company, then what's holding you back from agreeing?

I'm not annoyed and you know he isn't right.

So the premisse to have Switch success is doing all by yourself?? And some other threads we just have people saying how much good relationship Nintendo have with 3rd parties.

GuyDuke said:
DonFerrari said:

Woah, slow down Don. Nintendo did fuck it up with Virtual Boy. Many others made more compelling VR devices.

I haven't said they never failed or never do good consoles... but the assumption that only Nintendo could make Switch when other companies have done almost the same even before Nintendo is the point that is exagerated.

Have he said Nintendo made a great system and dev great games would get no refuttal from me. But his comment is like saying if Einstein wasn't born we wouldn't know about relativity. Or also if he said Nintendo was the first to make a compeling hybrid like Switch I also would have no issue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Flilix said:

Great numbers! I can see it coming close to 30m lifetime.

Switch will most certainly surpass 30m in its lifetime

CrazyGamer2017 said:
According to the article on VGC the system sold 4.8 million units in 10 months in the US.
So no other system has ever sold more than that within 10 months in the US? That's 100k per week which is not bad but hardly sounds like a record number.

PS4-3.95m

Wii-4.05m

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

How about we discuss facts and not stupid hypothetical situations or opinions based on nothing?

how is launch demand based on nothing, or early adopters period. ps4 had 1 million preorders 3 months before launch. pent up demand was huge, it could have did 2 million easy march n april.