By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. January bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

jason1637 said:
I predict this for Software sales this month.
MHW: 230k on PS4 and 90K on XBO so 300K
DBFZ: 250K on PS4 and 150K on XBO so 400k.

I would only counter predict MHW all platforms outselling DBFZ all platforms. US, I think the ratio of sales you predict is about spot on. World wide both titles will be 2:1 in favor of the PS4 platform. Especially when pulling in Japan's numbers.

Around the Network

MHW will need alot more than 300k to sell in its debut week imo (US)

How much did mh4u and mhx sell npd?

Vizigoth04 said:
MHW now @ #4!

Two more weeks to come 🎉

Kyuu said:

Bayonetta 3 will do 2 million max (most likely around 1.5 mil), and MHW will probably outsell MH4U in the west on PS4 alone.

2 million would be awesome but 1.5 million looks way more realistic.

Slarvax said:
peachbuggy said:

MH not usually a massive seller in the west though, even though Crapcom are hoping this game will be different. Well maybe they will have a good battle on Amazon at least?

MH4U sold 290k (with digital) on its first month, and Generations sold over 165k. MHW should do upwards of 200k (on PS4 alone). Or else.

MH4U numbers come from here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=199566 and MHG come from here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=219413

tbone51 said:
MHW will need alot more than 300k to sell in its debut week imo (US)

How much did mh4u and mhx sell npd?

Around the Network
Vizigoth04 said:
jason1637 said:
I predict this for Software sales this month.
MHW: 230k on PS4 and 90K on XBO so 300K
DBFZ: 250K on PS4 and 150K on XBO so 400k.

I would only counter predict MHW all platforms outselling DBFZ all platforms. US, I think the ratio of sales you predict is about spot on. World wide both titles will be 2:1 in favor of the PS4 platform. Especially when pulling in Japan's numbers.

I think Dragonball should do better. The game is getting a beta on all systems while Monster Hunter was only on PS4 for the beta and Monster Hunter hasn't been on a Sony/Microsoft system in a long time so the fan base are on Nintendo systems.

Monster Hunter doing great across the board. Moving major hardware on the Japanese chart.

Kyuu said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

I was basically saying you are right lul

Bayonetta #3 now 😱

Kyuu said:
xMetroid said:

Considering Bayonetta go so popular, the Switch is oriented core gamers and games are selling extremely well there is no way it will sell under 2 million. On top of that, with Nintendo trying to push their eSport and the online subscription, there is no way they will not release Smash this year. Bayonetta will most likely be included in the game and it will be major publicity for the franchise. 

And we will see, MHW can be a major success but I don't think it will beat Horizon with it being an exclusive, got SO MUCH marketing from Sony and was praised by the critics, and yet the game didn't sell really well. I highly doubt MHW will do better than Horizon in the Eu/NA but it will have Japan to pick up the sales to a similar number.

I've noticed you actively do that so I'm gonna have to ask, why are you too quick to blame "marketing" for when a non-dudebro game sells well on PS systems as if mainstream games don't get any marketing at all?

Bayonetta is not as popular as you seem to think. Yes, Smash will help raise some awareness among the Nintendo crowd but nothing guarantees it to match Bayonetta 1's combined sales. You're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Metroid Prime 3 sold worse than Prime 1 on almost 5x the install base, why did SSBB fail to help it reach 2 million? Why does Metroid contentiously drop in popularity despite being a superb series? If Smash failed to meaningfully popularize a great long-standing Nintendo franchise such as Metroid, then what makes you confident that things will be THAT different for Bayonetta?

Ryng_Tolu said:

Metroid came out on Wii early on and we all know that install of the wii was in big majority casual gamers and families. There was 11 million units sold when MP3 came out and it failed to have legs as the console was selling over the time because it was just not the same consumer target. 

Also, the market evolved a lot now, with the rankings and social media, a game can easily get some "self promotion" when it gets great reviews online while during the Wii era no one knew about Metroid except core gamers and again they weren't the target audience of the wii. I don't remember seeing any ad for Metroid on TV for example where most of the ads were. 

Just seeing the difference of views Bayo 3 moved compare to the same type of teasers from the Wii u era, it shows good signs. The game will probably be critically acclaimed once again and with the Switch being so popular and games selling so well on it, I see Bayo 3 surpassing 2 million units. We are literally seeing Mario Odyssey crushing the other 3D Mario games in termes of sales and same for Zelda. I don't see why this trend of games selling incredibly well on Switch would stop at Bayo 3.