By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Post ALL Database Issues/Suggestions/Etc Here

spurgeonryan said:
AZWification said:

I want to add certain Android games, but the developers don't show up. One of them is, for example, Miniclip.

Got to request it on Versus Profile. Don't use the unknown option. You will have a hard time with android and ios and most digital games as the publishers and developers ....are mostly unknown.

I see, thanks!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Ok I can't find a specific thread to ask my question so I'm gonna ask it here as this thread seems to be the closest to the issue of VGC feedback.

So here is my question: I'm no security expert or anything but shouldn't the site be on the HTTPS protocol? Isn't that like basic stuff nowadays?

TalonMan said:
Aeolus451 said:
I wanted to make a suggestion that any thread with a mod warning in it have some kind of indicator (like with the icon or by the quick reply window or larger text window) that they dropped a warning so anyone can see it. It's fairly easy to miss a warning when a thread is large. I think it would be a nice preemptive measure. Hopefully, others think it's a good idea.

You'll get a better response (and potentially have your suggestion added to the fix list), if you post this in the correct thread. This thread (as the title clearly states), is for the new database... :(

I'll remember that in the future but you've seen it already.

TalonMan said:
Aeolus451 said:

I'll remember that in the future but you've seen it already.

I've seen it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to remember seeing it or even do anything about it... :(

I can post it on your wall with a funny gif or something if that helps. Do you think it's a good idea though?

When I perform a game search with "Japan" selected from the Region dropdown menu and "zelda" (without quotes) typed into the Name box I don't see the Switch version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the list.

I'd also like to voice my support for the reintegration of regional sales data in the main database view. I liked to compare overall sales vs regional sales for games in a series. An alternative would be to add a series tag to each game and a series page that lists the games included in the series and their sales data.

Regardless, thanks for the great work!

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:
pleaserecycle said:
When I perform a game search with "Japan" selected from the Region dropdown menu and "zelda" (without quotes) typed into the Name box I don't see the Switch version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the list.

That's the way it's supposed to be.  With Japan as the region and the Japanese title in the search you will see it. It's Zeruda no Densetsu: Buresu obu za Wairudo.

So then should we update the other Zelda titles to the ゼルダ (zeruda) form?

I think the region dropdown menu would be more useful as a filter for that region's sales data without the requirement to use the localized title.  As it stands, if I wanted to compare Japanese sales data for any game with "Super Mario" in the title, I would need to find the romanization of the Japanese title first.  

TalonMan said:
pleaserecycle said:

So then should we update the other Zelda titles to the ゼルダ (zeruda) form?

I think the region dropdown menu would be more useful as a filter for that region's sales data without the requirement to use the localized title.  As it stands, if I wanted to compare Japanese sales data for any game with "Super Mario" in the title, I would need to find the romanization of the Japanese title first.  

That's one of the enhancements of the new database - the ability to record the real Japanese title (along with any Japanese writing associated with the title). As has been discussed already, the design of the game search page doesn't have enough room for regional sales to display, anyway - so even if you wanted to see all the Japanese sales for a game with Super Mario in the title, you wouldn't be able to get at that because we're currently showing only the "Total Sales" for a given game.

I guess I'm just confused.  When I perform a game search with the Japanese region selected and "super mario" in the name box I obtain a fairly complete set of Super Mario games with the Japanese sales data.  The search won't return any results when I use the partial Japanese title "スーパーマリオ", despite that title appearing in most of the Super Mario titles as part of an alternate name.  The Japanese region search only works when the game details field "Japanese Name (if different):", which contains the English pronunciation of the Japanese title, is not empty... and in that case it entirely supersedes the English name.   Presumably, typing "super mario" as a Japanese region search only works because most Super Mario titles have an empty romanization field.   

Intuitively, it feels like the region field should restrict the sales column to data only from that region.  And in that way it works... when we select a region from the dropdown menu, it will only show sales data for that region.  But it seems strange that it would require a user to input the name of the game in that region (or in this case the English pronunciation of the name) in order to obtain the data, especially when the database doesn't have most of the data.  Regardless of the region, selecting a game from the search will yield the same page and I don't think the database differentiates between Japanese vs NA vs PAL versions of games in our collections.  Ideally, I would be able to type "zelda" or "zeruda" or ”ゼルダ" into the search and still obtain a list of all Zelda games.  The region selector would still change the display name of the game and the sales data to reflect the region.  

Anyways, I appreciate the work you've completed since your return.  There's a fresh sense of optimism and activity that has been missing throughout the past few years.  I've already taken advantage of the new database (and submitted plenty of edits to keep the team busy :D).  

A bit of a question/suggestion. Are you going to add a tab about the series to which a game belongs? Per example, if I click on the Age of Empires I tab for series, I would see its expansions, sequels and spinoffs that belong to that franchise, and also links to their profiles.

Also, a random game button. I know this is silly and somewhat, but it's also nice to have.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Since I got the message only after doing what I as doing and the message isn't clear, I'm not exactly sure what caused it. However, I got "Congratulations, you've found a bug! This story type doesn't exist!" on my activity feed after updating some stuff about Total War: Three Kingdoms. Since my game information (i.e. PEGI rating) apparently got approved and the only other thing I edited was summary, I can only assume it's a problem with the summary.

Also, on lists of users (such as Owners, Trackers, and Wishlisters), avatars are sometimes zoomed in. You can see it especially clearly on the page for Total War: Three Kingdoms (linked above), but I noticed the problem elsewhere too.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 10 January 2018

TalonMan said:

I'll check that thing with the avatar zoom - I've seen it myself at times and haven't been able to find it consistently enough (probably has to do with a given number of avatars on a give row or something), in order to fix.

I have no idea how you have everything organized, but since there are avatars of varying proportions on the forums, maybe your system has trouble with different resolutions for avatars? Or maybe it's fine and it's something else, but it's an idea. On the page for the owners of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, some of the avatars seem fine whereas some of the others don't. To me, it seems like it zooms in to the top left corner of the avatar in all of the cases I've observed so far.

EDIT: Oh, and I also noticed that most of the links in the Quick Links section (in the navigation bar in the database) seem to still point to GameWise.

EDIT2: While we're at it, there doesn't seem to be a way to go to the front page of the database from a game's page. Clicking on Game DB in the navigation bar does nothing, and I'm not seeing any other ways to get to the front page either.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 10 January 2018