By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Post ALL Database Issues/Suggestions/Etc Here

TalonMan said:
Zkuq said:

I have no idea how you have everything organized, but since there are avatars of varying proportions on the forums, maybe your system has trouble with different resolutions for avatars? Or maybe it's fine and it's something else, but it's an idea. On the page for the owners of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, some of the avatars seem fine whereas some of the others don't. To me, it seems like it zooms in to the top left corner of the avatar in all of the cases I've observed so far.

EDIT: Oh, and I also noticed that most of the links in the Quick Links section (in the navigation bar in the database) seem to still point to GameWise.

- We've discussed this and I don't have a good substitution at the moment, for some of those Gamewise links (Popular Games) so I left it alone for now.

EDIT2: While we're at it, there doesn't seem to be a way to go to the front page of the database from a game's page. Clicking on Game DB in the navigation bar does nothing, and I'm not seeing any other ways to get to the front page either.

- That's been like that, so far as I can tell - however, if you click the "See All Games" link, it will take you to the search page

Ah, I see. I hadn't seen the first issue since I haven't been reading this thread too much. Anyway, sounds like all is good, at least for now.

Around the Network

So, I went to add a cheat (Unlockable for Mario Odyssey) earlier and once I clicked on the Submit button, it brought me back to the main page of the Database, presumably without it actually being submitted. This also seemed to happen when I was trying to add trophies (shown under Extras) for Persona 5.

Having to insert a date for games whose release date is TBA is stupid. The requirement should be removed, i.e. it should be possible to add a game's release information as TBA without entering a date. On another note, it would be nice if it was possible to enter vague dates (e.g. "Summer 2018", "2018", "Late 2018").

Add the ability to add developers and maybe publishers as well. Since all additions already require admin approval, this should be OK. At the very least there should be instructions in the database on how to get a new developer/publisher added to the system instead of having to crawl through a relatively long thread. Specifically, these instructions should appear when you try to add a game with a developer that doesn't exist in the system yet.

Zkuq said:
Add the ability to add developers and maybe publishers as well. Since all additions already require admin approval, this should be OK. At the very least there should be instructions in the database on how to get a new developer/publisher added to the system instead of having to crawl through a relatively long thread. Specifically, these instructions should appear when you try to add a game with a developer that doesn't exist in the system yet.

The ability was previously only available to Versus and Talon, however as of yesterday all admins now have the ability to do it.

Around the Network

The publisher situation for PC releases is confusing, to say the least. Finding out whether a game has had a physical release can be somewhat difficult nowadays, and if it hasn't had one but has been released on several different digital platforms (e.g. Steam), I have no idea what to insert as the platform. Direct Download? Online? Something else? Why? What do all the options even mean? What about games that have been released on, say, Origin or uPlay but never physically? I think the situation is confusing enough to warrant a technical solution (i.e. changes to the system and/or the interface) instead of just giving out verbal instruction on how to handle the situation.

[EDIT]Just for the record, I also think it might be nice if you could first choose a release date (after choosing whether the game's been even released, of course), and then you could choose from all the possible distribution methods for that date so you could combine multiple methods. This would solve the issue for the most part, but I imagine changing this would require some database "fun".

To further improve the situation, it would be nice if only distribution methods appropriate for each platform (e.g. PS4, PC) would show up in the distribution method list. When I'm adding details for a PC game, I don't care about seeing the PS Store option since it should never apply - and conversely, when adding details for a console game, seeing Steam as a possible choice is just stupid. Obviously this is just a relatively minor detail, but it would make it noticeably more pleasant to add details to the database.[/EDIT]

VGPolyglot said:
Zkuq said:

The ability was previously only available to Versus and Talon, however as of yesterday all admins now have the ability to do it.

Yeah, that's already an improvement. However, I think it still needs work, especially considering how there's no centralized way to request additions or instructions in any easy place for handling missing developers.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 11 January 2018

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Right now, after adding a critic review or some screenshots, you get a confirmation message, but if you want to keep adding more reviews or screenshots you have to repeat all the process again. Could it be possible to add an option in that confirmation page to keep adding more content straight away?

2) Could it be possible to add a section for PC games to add the system requirements? I think it's useful information that, otherwise, has to be found elsewhere.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It might also be nice to be able to add the home page for each game.

They are many doubled entries for games: Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, super Mario bros deluxe - in general the GBA Mario bros games are always 2x times in the data base.

TalonMan said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

If that were possible, that would be amazing. I'm guessing it might be a lot of work, though. I'm not that knowledgeable about coding sites and stuff. But if you think it's viable to do, I definitely recommend it.

...took a bit more work than I had first imagined it would, but this is done!

Awesome! Thanks! Great work! Appreciate the change. Just one minor thing would it be possible somehow to set settings for default preferences - so that it always shows me the regional sale by default. I'm far  from being an IT expert, so would it be possible? Thanks nonetheless