By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 18 November 2017

Ah, I do love seeing the PS4 at the top, yes!

...and by a solid margin, at that.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Sure... but even on the perfect world 25% less price makes 25% more sales.

Anyway I get your point, just pointed that the arbitraty increase is just that arbitraty, of course PS4 could have sold more if it launched for less, and that is why I said if you compare Switch aligning to PS4 price when dropping to 299 would make more sense (hint, PS4 sold more when dropping price and Switch will have less price drops to increase and sustain sales)

I am also aware that the PS4 sold more at the $299 price point... but its still not a fair comparison. I am not making this argument to say "hey look the PS4 is still better anyways".... Just pointing out why pricing aligning sales in this case doesn't make sense when what we are considering is how quickly the consoles are selling.

Now if we were having a discussion on how well this console sold or is selling at x price then thats a different matter. We are talking about rate of sales here.

Mind you, there is a way that all this ends up still working out in the NS favor.... though it could be unlikely. So yh, the NS launched at $299 and the PS4 at $399. In 4 years the PS4 finally started hitting that $199 price point, which is a 50% drop from its launch price. If the switch can somehow have a similar percentage price drop at the same intervals the PS4 had its own or even better get to $150 before or on the next 4 years... thn it may see a similar LTD sales rate as the PS4 has. 

Errrr.... this is of course ignoring the effect of software...... basically, the NS would have to also have as impactful a software lineup that matches the PS4s. Mind you, "as impactful" doesn't mean have as many games..... but that rather whatever games it has has the ame kinda effect for it as the games the PS4 had had on the PS4s sales.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure... but even on the perfect world 25% less price makes 25% more sales.

Anyway I get your point, just pointed that the arbitraty increase is just that arbitraty, of course PS4 could have sold more if it launched for less, and that is why I said if you compare Switch aligning to PS4 price when dropping to 299 would make more sense (hint, PS4 sold more when dropping price and Switch will have less price drops to increase and sustain sales)

I am also aware that the PS4 sold more at the $299 price point... but its still not a fair comparison. I am not making this argument to say "hey look the PS4 is still better anyways".... Just pointing out why pricing aligning sales in this case doesn't make sense when what we are considering is how quickly the consoles are selling.

Now if we were having a discussion on how well this console sold or is selling at x price then thats a different matter. We are talking about rate of sales here.

Mind you, there is a way that all this ends up still working out in the NS favor.... though it could be unlikely. So yh, the NS launched at $299 and the PS4 at $399. In 4 years the PS4 finally started hitting that $199 price point, which is a 50% drop from its launch price. If the switch can somehow have a similar percentage price drop at the same intervals the PS4 had its own or even better get to $150 before or on the next 4 years... thn it may see a similar LTD sales rate as the PS4 has. 

Errrr.... this is of course ignoring the effect of software...... basically, the NS would have to also have as impactful a software lineup that matches the PS4s. Mind you, "as impactful" doesn't mean have as many games..... but that rather whatever games it has has the ame kinda effect for it as the games the PS4 had had on the PS4s sales.

Sure Switch can drop to half of its price in 4 years, that would put it at 149 vs 199 PS4 comparison. But also a 150 vs 200 drop... but still allowing PS4 further 100 drop to get to 99 and only 50 for Switch. That is why I said to discount the sales PS4 done at 399 to have a preview of Switch potential sales.

Anyway, every single comparison will have someone claiming one point make it unfair.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Slarvax said:

When did PS4 reach 70 million? Looks like it might be a little overtracked.

I think you mean under-tracked.   They have to somehow fit 2.5 million sells into 2 weeks.   You  must think that Black Friday week was like 2 million sales... and I think that just a bit too much.  If you think its overtracked, how many do you think they sold BF week?

CosmicSex said:
Slarvax said:

When did PS4 reach 70 million? Looks like it might be a little overtracked.

I think you mean under-tracked.   They have to somehow fit 2.5 million sells into 2 weeks.   You  must think that Black Friday week was like 2 million sales... and I think that just a bit too much.  If you think its overtracked, how many do you think they sold BF week?

Sony already said 2017 was the PS4's strongest black friday ever https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-had-best-black-friday-ever-in-terms-of/1100-6455209/

And this site has black friday week 2015 at 1.62 million http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42337/Global/

I see it selling over twice this week, which would put it a little below 1.7 million. The week after BF is the one I'm not sure about. The tracking looks pretty accurate, tbh

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
CosmicSex said:

Sony already said 2017 was the PS4's strongest black friday ever https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-had-best-black-friday-ever-in-terms-of/1100-6455209/

And this site has black friday week 2015 at 1.62 million http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42337/Global/

I see it selling over twice this week, which would put it a little below 1.7 million. The week after BF is the one I'm not sure about. The tracking looks pretty accurate, tbh

Shit, they just posted it.  Check out the main page.  Its at 69.7 million which means about 1 million for the final week.