By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 18 November 2017

CGI-Quality said:
Vizigoth04 said:
Hmmm.... This official?

These are our site numbers. They're always subject to adjustments.

By dec 3rd the PS4 should be over 70.4m though.....  So within the next two weeks, VGCz expects it to sell 2.3m+ ?

Slarvax said:

When did PS4 reach 70 million? Looks like it might be a little overtracked.

These numbers are from 18th november, 2 weeks before the official sony numbers of 70.4m sold through to consumers.

If anything its a little undertracked, unless your expecting 2.3m+ sales in 2weeks.

*edit:  Apparently it was 70.6m by dec 3rd.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 28 December 2017

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
COKTOE said:

Yeah, she made that prediction some months months ago and has repeated it several sales threads since then. I'm pretty sure she's trolling....but not totally sure.

If I'm not mistaken there were another person who said on last week numbers that X1 would keep outselling PS4 to the end of the gen.

JulioMadeira said:
They could update by the official figures that companies report!

They do, but they don't just toss around numbers, so when the numbers for the week covering Dec 3rd then the total should comply with Sony report. Similar for Switch.

Really? I only remember seeing that specific prediction from the one person.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Slarvax said:

If anything its undertracked.

Green098 said:

I really don't think so... I think you're a bit off your rails if you think Switch not selling 850k this week means it's going to sell around 20 million lifetime when it's already sold half that in 9 months (just as fast as PS4 btw). I really really don't think "it's too early to be sure" for that one.

While i won't go as far as say what some are saying about the NS, I do believe its not going to be as successful as some think it will be. My current estimate is that it does around 50--60M lifetime. Which honestly isn't half bad and is to me actually a successful outting. Just not as high as some think it will be.

My reasoning for this is simple.

The NS cost $299. So while its selling as fast as the PS4 did, we shouldn't forget that the PS4 at the same time in its life the PS4 cost $399. In a perfect world, to be selling as fast as the PS4 while costing 25% less it should be at the very least selling 25% more consoles. This shows that if the NS cost $399 it wouldn't sell as well as its selling now. If the PS4 had cost $299 it would have sold more than it did then.

Then we also have two new games released for the switch that are among the five biggest selling IPs on any nintendo platform. And both games released in the launch year of the NS. While its possible that Mario Kart, Pokemon and Smash bro (the other three) will no doubt drive console sales, we shouldn't forget that there will be some crossover by then ( people that will buy those games that already bought the NS for Zelda or Mario) so its kinda ridiculous to think those games will drive sales exponentially if Mario and Zelda (two game of the year contenders by the way) hasn't.

Then we have the stock issue, for the most part I was in this camp as I felt nintendo wouldn't be able to meet demand of sales if the sales earlier in the year were any indication. But right now the Switch isn't having a stock issue so that line of reasoning is null and void now. I actually expected the NS to have sold or be selling a lot better than it is right now simply riding off Splatoon 2, Zelda and Mario.

So the question is this; what is going t be the NS major sales driver(s)?

StarDoor said:

Well, I'm sure you'll be disappointed to learn that Switch's December sales in Japan are already ahead of November by 107%, and there's still one week left. And if you've looked at the Amazon thread this month, then you'd also know that Switch has had a much bigger increase in December than either PS4 or Xbox One got, seeing as how Switch is the best-selling console of the month.

Also, in what world should 3D Mario push Switch to the top in November? I mean, have you ever looked at the sales of these games? Their lifetime sales generally fall between 10 and 13 million, and they reach those numbers because of their legs, not their launches. No one with even slightly reasonable expectations should think that Switch would sell more worldwide than PS4 in November, a month that is much stronger for PlayStation and Xbox than it is for Nintendo, when Switch is in its first year and PS4 is in its best year yet.

These things aren't that straight forward.

XB1 won November as far as amazon is concerned. Still lost NA and even more so lost the world.

As for that 100%+ boost you are talking about in japan... that means fuck all being that you are talking about japan. Just look at this week charts numbers as a point of reference. NS did 100k in japan..... but then lost NA and EU to the PS4 by almost 200k each (and its not like the PS4 isn't selling at all in japan either). It doesn't mean shit if you are very strong in one territory then come second or last in the other three territories (NA, EU and ROW). Just ask MS to see how that goes.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
CGI-Quality said:

These are our site numbers. They're always subject to adjustments.

By dec 3rd the PS4 should be over 70.4m though.....  So within the next two weeks, VGCz expects it to sell 2.3m+ ?

Slarvax said:

These numbers are from 18th november, 2 weeks before the official sony numbers of 70.4m sold through to consumers.

If anything its a little undertracked, unless your expecting 2.3m+ sales in 2weeks.

*edit:  Apparently it was 70.6m by dec 3rd.

Its possible tho, globally BF week could well be around 1.5M in sales. Which should be reflected in the coming week numbers. That leaves only about 800k to account for for the last week of november. Whatever its done this week, it could easily do double that next week being black friday week.

If I am mixing up my BF weeks, the point still stands.... it will do around 1.5M whenever BF week comes up.

COKTOE said:
DonFerrari said:

If I'm not mistaken there were another person who said on last week numbers that X1 would keep outselling PS4 to the end of the gen.

They do, but they don't just toss around numbers, so when the numbers for the week covering Dec 3rd then the total should comply with Sony report. Similar for Switch.

Really? I only remember seeing that specific prediction from the one person.

It was the same person it seems.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8666512

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
Green098 said:

I really don't think so... I think you're a bit off your rails if you think Switch not selling 850k this week means it's going to sell around 20 million lifetime when it's already sold half that in 9 months (just as fast as PS4 btw). I really really don't think "it's too early to be sure" for that one.

While i won't go as far as say what some are saying about the NS, I do believe its not going to be as successful as some think it will be. My current estimate is that it does around 50--60M lifetime. Which honestly isn't half bad and is to me actually a successful outting. Just not as high as some think it will be.

My reasoning for this is simple.

The NS cost $299. So while its selling as fast as the PS4 did, we shouldn't forget that the PS4 at the same time in its life the PS4 cost $399. In a perfect world, to be selling as fast as the PS4 while costing 25% less it should be at the very least selling 25% more consoles. This shows that if the NS cost $399 it wouldn't sell as well as its selling now. If the PS4 had cost $299 it would have sold more than it did then.

Then we also have two new games released for the switch that are among the five biggest selling IPs on any nintendo platform. And both games released in the launch year of the NS. While its possible that Mario Kart, Pokemon and Smash bro (the other three) will no doubt drive console sales, we shouldn't forget that there will be some crossover by then ( people that will buy those games that already bought the NS for Zelda or Mario) so its kinda ridiculous to think those games will drive sales exponentially if Mario and Zelda (two game of the year contenders by the way) hasn't.

Then we have the stock issue, for the most part I was in this camp as I felt nintendo wouldn't be able to meet demand of sales if the sales earlier in the year were any indication. But right now the Switch isn't having a stock issue so that line of reasoning is null and void now. I actually expected the NS to have sold or be selling a lot better than it is right now simply riding off Splatoon 2, Zelda and Mario.

So the question is this; what is going t be the NS major sales driver(s)?

I wouldn't say that it costing 25% less should sell 25% more... the price elasticity isn't linear...

Since we are comparing it to PS4 you have to compare the sales of Switch to when PS4 was 299 USD... and possibly remove the sales made at 399 from the highest Switch could achieve.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

I wouldn't say that it costing 25% less should sell 25% more... the price elasticity isn't linear...

Since we are comparing it to PS4 you have to compare the sales of Switch to when PS4 was 299 USD... and possibly remove the sales made at 399 from the highest Switch could achieve.

Yh I know it isn't linear... which is why I used the disclaimer "in a perfect world".

But this much is certain.... price affects sales. If something sells X amount at Y price, then sales will either increase or decrease with respective increase or decrease in price.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. So for instance, if the PS4 sold 800k at $399, then unless it was stock limited, it would no doubt have sold more than that if it was priced lower. The reverse could be assumed if it was priced higher.

To address your other point.... it makes no sense (in this case) comparing sales of or at a similar price point ($299 NS vs $299 PS4) even though this may seem to be an obvious yardstick. Why? Because the timing is off. If you want to compare how "fast" the NS is selling, then that comparison is inherently related to how fast the PS4 sold. And in this case we are talking about the first 10 months? 12 months?....etc. 

In this case, the constant here is the "first (x) months" and not number of sales at (x) price which is a totally different discussion. 

Having said that, looking at the first x number of months, the cost of the consoles would have to be taken into consideration. We cannot change the fact that their first (x) months is what is being considered when saying the NS is selling as fast as the PS4. Same way how we can't change the fact that the consoles launched at different price points. 

Long story short, there is no way the PS4 would have sold as much as it did in a given amount of time if it cost $100 more, and there is no way it wouldn't  have sold better if it cost $100 less. Same applies to the NS.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Yh I know it isn't linear... which is why I used the disclaimer "in a perfect world".

But this much is certain.... price affects sales. If something sells X amount at Y price, then sales will either increase or decrease with respective increase or decrease in price.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. So for instance, if the PS4 sold 800k at $399, then unless it was stock limited, it would no doubt have sold more than that if it was priced lower. The reverse could be assumed if it was priced higher.

To address your other point.... it makes no sense (in this case) comparing sales of or at a similar price point ($299 NS vs $299 PS4) even though this may seem to be an obvious yardstick. Why? Because the timing is off. If you want to compare how "fast" the NS is selling, then that comparison is inherently related to how fast the PS4 sold. And in this case we are talking about the first 10 months? 12 months?....etc. 

In this case, the constant here is the "first (x) months" and not number of sales at (x) price which is a totally different discussion. 

Having said that, looking at the first x number of months, the cost of the consoles would have to be taken into consideration. We cannot change the fact that their first (x) months is what is being considered when saying the NS is selling as fast as the PS4. Same way how we can't change the fact that the consoles launched at different price points. 

Long story short, there is no way the PS4 would have sold as much as it did in a given amount of time if it cost $100 more, and it would have sold better if it cost $100 less. Same applies to the NS.

Sure... but even on the perfect world 25% less price makes 25% more sales.

Anyway I get your point, just pointed that the arbitraty increase is just that arbitraty, of course PS4 could have sold more if it launched for less, and that is why I said if you compare Switch aligning to PS4 price when dropping to 299 would make more sense (hint, PS4 sold more when dropping price and Switch will have less price drops to increase and sustain sales)