By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Female Leads RULE the Box Office

Ka-pi96 said:
Leadified said:

I have a feeling that OP knew the thread would turn out this way and so he's farming reactions. So now the thread is going to have a long and pointless debate about feminism.

Probably. Would be interesting to see if there are any statistical trends showing whether male or female leads are more popular. Any evidence one way or the other would probably be more circumstantial than anything due to the huge number of other factors involved though. Regardless... good luck having a discussion about that without a load of bullshit back and forth from the two sides of extremists...

Due to the scandals in Hollywood through Weinstein and other disgusting human beings, female leads are increasing in popularity. At least to my own understanding

Around the Network
fory77 said:
Leadified said:

I have a feeling that OP knew the thread would turn out this way and so he's farming reactions. So now the thread is going to have a long and pointless debate about feminism.

notice too how he hasn't replied to anyone in the thread

Yeah that's one of the red flags. OP is online right now, I wonder if he's reading the spoils so far

But why should you care op as a male? Can you explain to me why you want to have women as lead in films? Are these films maybe offering some fanservice for example? Or is the story somehow better with it? I am just curious, personally i dont watch any movies anymore as gaming replaced it.

Insidb said:
To all the morons saying that "sexism is overblown in the west," have you totally checked out on the rapefest that is the current news cycle?

"It's not as bad" is not the same as "it's not bad as it was" or "it's not as bad as it is over there."

We still have a serious problem with racism, and the Donald Trump is evidence that both problems are still prominent and pervasive.

Literally, don't be THAT GUY: you're totally being "him" with these indefensibly ignorant comments.

More like we have problems with rich guys who think they can do what ever they want, if you refer to the Weinstein scandal here? What has Donald Trump to do with US Police violence in general which was going rampant under Obama and beyond?

Bigger picture is that the top grossing films at the box office these days are almost always established IPs / franchises, so it really doesn't matter if a man or a wamen is the star of the film because general audiences are going to flock to see the films anyway.

It also blows a giant hole in the theory that last years' Ghostbusters reboot was a good movie that was unfairly maligned and bombed only because a bunch of misogynistic trolls couldn't stand the idea of 4 women in the lead roles. Nope, turns out that movie was just a flaming dumpster of a film that was just trying to ride the nostalgia of its IP, because no one would've cared about it otherwise if it didn't have the Ghostbusters name attached to it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
TH3-D0S3R said:

So you must blindly agree with women who hold differing views, some of which being that men are purely evil?

This isn't marriage, so no, I don't have to blindly agree with women and their wokest agenda. I am a HUMAN, and therefore can come to my own conclusion rather than have someone spoon feed me information like a helpless baby. That's more bending over than being an actual man.

You both validated it.  Masculine fragility coupled with an extremism fallacy.

Men claim this extreme agenda because they fear actual equality.  They inject this inequality in the other direction debate point as a means to maintain the current inequality in their favor.

Men fear having to deal with the bullshit that women must endure through their entire lives so they conflate and exaggerate the feminist agenda and paint it as the "boogie woman" out to ruin men.

You probably shouldn't talk about logical fallacies and then build an elaborate rationalization that seeks to stereotype billions of people while sweeping every criticism of a complex issue under a convenient and all-encompassing rug.  It just adds to the silliness.

Another year where I didn't go to the cinema even once.

Ka-pi96 said:
NATO said:
Another year where I didn't go to the cinema even once.

Well why would you? Cinemas are overpriced and give a terrible movie experience.

Well, price isn't an issue for me, it's that nothing released in the past few years has interested me enough to want to go and watch it. 

Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:
and yet some people still believe sexism is a huge problem these days...

It totally is, for men!

I think this is also a reflection of who actually goes to the movies. Young wimmenz!

I mean I already argue popular radio stations suck because its women primarily listening.

Maybe it is a reflection of who goes to movies these days, but more like it's about where they invest big budgets. Of course, the audience needs to understand the character, but you should keep in mind, that an attractive female in revealing outfit appeals to both men and women.

Otter said:
KLXVER said:
and yet some people still believe sexism is a huge problem these days...

LMAO what kind of logic is this. I guess because Obama was president racism can't be a problem either? I guess if a man marries a woman, he can't be a sexist pig?

Well, yes. It does not prove racism (or sexism) did not exist at all, but it does prove it's not a problem like it's made out to be. Also, we should ask if people voted for Obama, for not to appear as racist (which would point out that racism IS a problem, but not in the way it's made out to be).

SpokenTruth said:
I see some of you men are still boys.

What else can you expect on a videogames forum.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

SpokenTruth said:

I shouldn't have to provide a list.  Women have been giving us a list for centuries. If you truly cared to fight for them, you'd already know the list.  Google it.  Ask a women.  Anything but denying they exist or diverting to greater problems elsewhere.

Has anyone seen Beauty and the Beast?  Does it live up to its animated predecessor?

I think most of your posts are great but you basically make it impossible for anyone to have a different opinion on the subject - do you realize that? I'm not saying the other side is better, I'm just pointing it out. And there are lots of flaws with your thinking: The majority of women doesn't identify as feminists, so if we do as you said and ask women we'll come to the same conclusion he did. My girlfriend is very anti-feminist, by the way - should I ask her? There's also facts like men having a shorter life-span (even though in every part of the world men outlived women in 1850), less money spent on medical research for men, men being 75% of suicide victims and homeless people, over 90% of workplace deaths being men, the current rape laws in many western countries.... there's lots of stuff wrong with this simple argument and it's a very complicated mess of privileges and hurdles for both genders. 

I'm not saying men are oppressed, by the way. What I'm saying is if you give a person two options: a) agree with me or b) be called a dick, then there's most likely something wrong with your argument.

Edit: Back on topic - I don't think female leads "rule", I think people simply don't mind. As long as a movie is well-made, who cares if the lead is male or female (or a polar bear or whatever), as long as there's no political agenda behind the cast? 

Last edited by Louie - on 26 December 2017