By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo v Sony. War of attrition.

fatslob-:O said:
It's Nintendo who are the ones that have to prove themselves after coming off of a massive decline, not Sony ...

OP forgets that it is Nintendo who cannot be trusted and there's a reason why they've seceded from the home console market altogether ...

Japan is also falling into irrelevance and is a declining market too plus ultra portables will NEVER be able run the same exact games as home consoles do ...

PS is the main reason for the Nin home console slow decline (with the exception of Wii, which was the opposite scenario of PS3), and the reason a dedicated Nin home console no longer exists, yet Nin still stands. They could sell one, but apparently it's not worth their time or the money. You also have to take into account how badly PS screwed up with PS3 and look how well it still sold over it's lifetime.

If a PS4 handheld or PS hybrid ever makes it to the market, it will either take a decent chunk of Switch's market share, enough to be considered a competitor, or it will only take a small fraction like the Vita. The odds of a PS hybrid being the end of Nin or PS is highly unlikely. I don't think we have to worry about seeing either of them disappear anytime soon, even if they end up in direct competition once again.

Around the Network

It's Nintendo who are the ones that have to prove themselves after coming off of a massive decline, not Sony ...

So far, so good...

OP forgets that it is Nintendo who cannot be trusted and there's a reason why they've seceded from the home console market altogether ...

Have they really? Entirely?

Japan is also falling into irrelevance and is a declining market too plus ultra portables will NEVER be able run the same exact games as home consoles do ...

Neither can smart phones and yet based on my current understanding, the smart phone games industry is seeing big money.

Nintendo counts itself among those seeing income in this realm: https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/10/nintendos-smartphone-games-income-up-426-in-q3-2017.html

EricHiggin said:

PS is the main reason for the Nin home console slow decline (with the exception of Wii, which was the opposite scenario of PS3), and the reason a dedicated Nin home console no longer exists, yet Nin still stands. They could sell one, but apparently it's not worth their time or the money. You also have to take into account how badly PS screwed up with PS3 and look how well it still sold over it's lifetime.

If a PS4 handheld or PS hybrid ever makes it to the market, it will either take a decent chunk of Switch's market share, enough to be considered a competitor, or it will only take a small fraction like the Vita. The odds of a PS hybrid being the end of Nin or PS is highly unlikely. I don't think we have to worry about seeing either of them disappear anytime soon, even if they end up in direct competition once again.

The Wii is not an exception, it means that Nintendo is very capable of making a successful dedicated home console but the main reason is arguably because Nintendo knows that they are half-assed most of the time in that segment ...

Yes, it's doubtful that portable Sony systems wipe out Nintendo but I intend to give OP a taste of his own medicine with bouts of painful facts ... 

KLAMarine said:

Yes, why else haven't they made a dedicated home console to replace the WII U yet ? Because Nintendo knows that they can't touch Sony EVER on that turf or some may not even like that they can't even hold a candle to Microsoft either since they outsold Nintendo 2/3 times when they entered the market! 

KLAMarine said: 

Neither can smart phones and yet based on my current understanding, the smart phone games industry is seeing big money.

Nintendo counts itself among those seeing income in this realm: https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/10/nintendos-smartphone-games-income-up-426-in-q3-2017.html

I meant in the context dedicated home/portable game consoles but Nintendo forgoing dedicated gaming hardware for mobile gaming is a massive decline for them in terms of revenue and profits plus Japan's demographics aren't favourable for growth ... 

ironmanDX said:

KLAMarine said:

Yes, why else haven't they made a dedicated home console to replace the WII U yet ?

The Switch is a home console. It's also a handheld!

It's 2-in-1.

Because Nintendo knows that they can't touch Sony EVER on that turf

fatslob-:O said
KLAMarine said: 

I meant in the context dedicated home/portable game consoles but Nintendo forgoing dedicated gaming hardware for mobile gaming is a massive decline for them in terms of revenue and profits plus Japan's demographics aren't favourable for growth ... 

Yes but you brought up, essentially, the power argument. A hybrid will never be able to match a dedicated console and this is true; a hybrid needs to be able to run off of a battery however power isn't always a decisive factor in success.

Around the Network

We all want to say it but cant because we'll get banned lol even if its true.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

KLAMarine said:

It's 2-in-1.

Not really, it's a portable system because it can be carried around ... 

KLAMarine said:

*snip*

Touche ... 

KLAMarine said: 

Yes but you brought up, essentially, the power argument. A hybrid will never be able to match a dedicated console and this is true; a hybrid needs to be able to run off of a battery however power isn't always a decisive factor in success.

How is that relevant to my argument that Japan is a declining market ? 

Last generation, home consoles (PS3 + Wii + X360) sold a total 24.9M units and portable consoles (DS + PSP) sold a total of 52.37M units in Japan according to this sites data. This generation of home consoles (PS4 +WiiU) will be extremely lucky to even break 15M units and the total amount of portable consoles (3DS + Vita + SW) sold this generation might not even match last generation despite portable systems having a higher turnover rate along with the arrival of Switch ... 

bananaking21 said:
ironmanDX said:

KLAMarine said:

It's 2-in-1.

Not really, it's a portable system because it can be carried around ...

It's also a console because it can be docked and can run off of power supplied through the wall.

How is that relevant to my argument that Japan is a declining market ? 

Last generation, home consoles (PS3 + Wii + X360) sold a total 24.9M units and portable consoles (DS + PSP) sold a total of 52.37M units in Japan according to this sites data. This generation of home consoles (PS4 +WiiU) will be extremely lucky to even break 15M units and the total amount of portable consoles (3DS + Vita + SW) sold this generation might not even match last generation despite portable systems having a higher turnover rate along with the arrival of Switch ... 

It's not relevant nor was I talking about Japan. I was responding to the following:

Japan is also falling into irrelevance and is a declining market too plus ultra portables will NEVER be able run the same exact games as home consoles ...

Oh no, Sony is dead, the PS4 is dead cause some guy on a forum said so...