By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is dominating GOTY awards

I think The Last of Us EASILY imo had the most impressive run for the year with 249 awards because it was head to head with a JUGGERNAUT like GTAV which stole 160 awards from it (which could have easily won any other given year based on the amount for example Uncharted 4 got for the year.)

Even with a huge game like GTAV, The Last of Us still came out on top with a record-breaking 249 at the time. The Witcher III's biggest rival for comparison was Fallout 4 with like 50 awards lol.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
King of the Wild. Best game ever.

Best game ever for critics which does not compare to the entire world. If it was truly the best game ever, it would be one of the biggest selling games ever. But it won't even crack the top 20 of the best-selling games ever.

I think the best game ever goes to the game that is able to appeal to the MASSES - both critically and commercially. Something like GTAV, I guess. Or even Skyrim which sold like a combined 30 million.

Heck, even Uncharted 4 could be considered above BOTW based on its sales/critical acclaim combined.

Zelda's fanbase is loud, but when you read between the lines it actually isn't as HUGE as many would love to think it is. I don't even think OoT beat out FFVII's sales. 

Note: I'm not saying sales are the deciding factor here...I think any game that is critically acclaimed (90+ meta) but also sells well over 10 million copies or so deserves the recognition.

StreaK said:
Pavolink said:

Best game ever for critics which does not compare to the entire world. If it was truly the best game ever, it would be one of the biggest selling games ever. But it won't even crack the top 20 of the best-selling games ever.

I think the best game ever goes to the game that is able to appeal to the MASSES - both critically and commercially. Something like GTAV, I guess. Or even Skyrim which sold like a combined 30 million.

Heck, even Uncharted 4 could be considered above BOTW based on its sales/critical acclaim combined.

Zelda's fanbase is loud, but when you read between the lines it actually isn't as HUGE as many would love to think it is. I don't even think OoT beat out FFVII's sales. 

Note: I'm not saying sales are the deciding factor here...I think any game that is critically acclaimed (90+ meta) but also sells well over 10 million copies or so deserves the recognition.

It's the best game ever because it is a reality. Critics does not have anything to do with this fact.

Whether you or anyone else agree or not is irrelevant. That won't change that BotW is the best game ever.

People needs to start accepting and move on.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

StreaK said:

Actually, what's REALLY news to me is how Uncharted 4 was the BIG winner for 2016, and not Overwatch which won at the Game Awards. I had no idea. Looks like MOST critics actually did love the hell out of that game. HELL YEAH, rightfully so. That's like 3 Naughty Dog games now being the most awarded in their respective years - Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and now Uncharted 4.

that's why goty awards doesn't mean anything in my opinion. if something like PUBG can get nominated for goty..  or if overwatch can win goty but not win in its own genre.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
StreaK said:
Pavolink said:

This is post wrong on so many levels. Critics actualy does compare to the entire world. Saying that best game ever needs to mean one of best selling game to the world don't make any sense beacuse you have games that are not multi platform, and of course that multiplatform game have much bigger chances that will sell better than some exclusive game.

Guess what, Wii Sports was appealing to mases, but that doesnt mean its great or one one best games ever. GTA V was released on 5 different platforms, of course that would have much lower sales if it isn't released only one platform for instance.

Zelda BotW could easily sell more than Uncharted 4 at end, more sales dont mean better game in any case.

OoT was on platform that had 33m instal base, FFVII was on platform of 100+m instal base.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 26 December 2017

Around the Network
StreaK said:
Pavolink said:

Please remember that popularity never equals quality (not only for games, but in general).

StreaK said:
Pavolink said:

Carnival Games sold 4.06 million copies. Let that sink in.

Wii Music sold over 3 million copies. I guess it's better than the entire Metroid franchise. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

In case I had any doubt I'm out of the loop, my Goty got zero mentions.

StreaK said:

Actually, what's REALLY news to me is how Uncharted 4 was the BIG winner for 2016, and not Overwatch which won at the Game Awards. I had no idea. Looks like MOST critics actually did love the hell out of that game. HELL YEAH, rightfully so. That's like 3 Naughty Dog games now being the most awarded in their respective years - Uncharted 2, The Last of Us and now Uncharted 4.

StreaK said:
I think The Last of Us EASILY imo had the most impressive run for the year with 249 awards because it was head to head with a JUGGERNAUT like GTAV which stole 160 awards from it (which could have easily won any other given year based on the amount for example Uncharted 4 got for the year.)

Even with a huge game like GTAV, The Last of Us still came out on top with a record-breaking 249 at the time. The Witcher III's biggest rival for comparison was Fallout 4 with like 50 awards lol.

StreaK said:
Pavolink said:

Still cross about Breath of the Wild beating Horizon huh?

curl-6 said:
StreaK said:

StreaK said:

StreaK said:

Still cross about Breath of the Wild beating Horizon huh?

We were all thinking it...but you said it!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261