By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What you you want improved in an early switch revision?

I'm pretty satisfied with the current model to be honest. I do think it would be nice to have better graphics, but I don't feel an immediate need for it either. If a Switch lite came out that was some sort of slimmed down version maybe with a slightly better screen and battery, that would be cool, but I'd probably stick with my current model.

I'd rather see a New 3ds XL like update later on down the line, maybe about 4 or 5 years from now. Something with a more powerful processor and a significantly more powerful battery to allow for a bigger screen. I don't know if I'm right but it seems to me that the current switch only has to limit it's graphics in handheld mode to conserve power as the dock just acts as a power source and a/v out so having a significantly more powerful battery could allow certain games to run at a higher resolution.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The joycons don't have a lot of wasted space on them though, so building the controller into the system wouldn't do much of anything... 

I'm looking at the joycons right now and they can barely hold all of that tech together as is, I don't see how an even smaller controller layout built into the system would work.

Not only that, but you'd be arbitrarily blocking the ability to use the basic dock, and the ability to share controllers. It would work against the Switch's concept. 

Artist rendering.

I don't see them doing something like this for the reason you mentioned. Compromising on the Switch's message. At least not in the immediate future.

I could imagine them doing something eventually though. Something that more directly, and obviously, replaces the 3DS in the Japanese market. It makes sense that it'd just be a smaller Switch. 

specialk said:

The joycons don't have a lot of wasted space on them though, so building the controller into the system wouldn't do much of anything... 

I'm looking at the joycons right now and they can barely hold all of that tech together as is, I don't see how an even smaller controller layout built into the system would work.

Not only that, but you'd be arbitrarily blocking the ability to use the basic dock, and the ability to share controllers. It would work against the Switch's concept. 

Artist rendering.

I don't see them doing something like this for the reason you mentioned. Compromising on the Switch's message. At least not in the immediate future.

I could imagine them doing something eventually though. Something that more directly, and obviously, replaces the 3DS in the Japanese market. It makes sense that it'd just be a smaller Switch. 

Fair enough. And yah, I forgot to mention that if it's in the form of a DS, then I could see the joycon thing working.

VGPolyglot said:
I'm mainly worried about a New 3DS-style revision which has exclusive games, because it locked me out of getting games that I wanted to get for the console. As long as I don't need to upgrade, I'd be fine with anything really.

Same. I'm pretty happy with the current model, but I certainly wouldn't object to a Pascal-powered upgrade with better battery life and/or improved performance, in fact I'd say releasing such a revision in 2019 is both likely and a good idea.

I just don't want to be locked out of playing certain games cos I have the original Switch.

More battery, more internal memory and doublekickstand (not my idea, but it's a good one).
Less bezel...
The dock could actually look better.

Around the Network

Better battery life, and a price cut. If they upped the resolution that could lead to a developer making a game with the new Switch in mind, and having said game run poorly on the old Switch.

specialk said:

Artist rendering.

Fair enough. And yah, I forgot to mention that if it's in the form of a DS, then I could see the joycon thing working.

Actually that rendition is what I've been pushing since the switch was announced. There could be indents in hard plastic where the bezel is now.

Though in my case the entire top is a bezel cut, removable switch mini. Why removable, you ask? For docking purposes ,or tabletop, or if you prefer a GBA layout (esp for touch based games)

The bottom? Thats simply going to be an extra large battery pak. Cause the switch is a electricity guzzler.

I call it the switch sp.

Tegra 2 and no bezel. Built in chat. 100GB internal memory. Better pointing controls that need less recentering. 1080 undocked. Better wireless joycon connections. 

A pocket friendly version would be nice. Something that has the joycons attach below, folds like the DS Lite, something that can stand while I remove the joycons for use. Maybe a dock that opens/closes based on being folded.

Honestly a major chipset update probably isn’t necessary for this type of revision. Likely best to keep it as cheap as possible. So only upgrade for power consumption purposes.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 21 December 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Larger screen with smaller bezels (same form factor), better battery life, more memory, symmetrical controls with a proper d-pad, better kickstand, built in voice chat, lower price. A little thinner and lighter with a slight performance boost wouldn't hurt, either.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 21 December 2017