By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyrim or Xenoblade?

Well, if you thought the character models in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were offputting... Skyrim is on a whole new level of ugly.

Actually, one of my big complaints about the game is that it was impossible to not make your character look hideous - I spent half an hour or more trying to make it look even close to decent; but to no avail.

Anyway, I also liked Xenoblade Chronicles X better than 2, but I liked 2 better than 1... For the most part:

1. Beginning part of XC1 (Climbing up the Bionis) is generally better than the beginning of XC2 (Chapter 1-4)
2. Ether Mine and Factory (Except on NG+) sucked equally.
3. Towns in XC2 are WAY better than XC1 (except Frontier Village, which is still very interesting).
4. XC1 gets really boring after Alcomoth, only exceptions are Fallen Arm (IMO the best part of the game) and the few minutes at Melia’s home in Alcomoth.
5. Chapter 8-10 in XC2 demolish anything XC1 ever had. It’s not even close.

But overall, I like the non-linear civilization building story, and the freedom of XCX a lot more than both games. Planet Mira is one of my favourite locations of all time. My only complaint about are that I wish NLA could be built up more and I wish more civilization could be built outside of it (there are a few things built, but I want FULL colonies).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I played Skyrim back on the 360, and thought it was decent. I liked how open it felt, and the music was great. *hums the dragon song*

For whatever reason though, I just stopped playing and never felt any motivation to go back to it. The story/quests really didn’t leave much of an impact on me, and I honestly couldn’t name a single character other than Lord Boomstone the Brave. I suppose these aren’t issues if you aren’t interested in these things, but for me a compelling story and/or interesting characters are essential in an RPG game. It probably didn’t help that I don’t have much interest in western stock fantasy in general, so a lot of the appeal was probably lost on me.

Xenoblade 2 on the other hand gripped me from start to finish, had an amazing cast of characters, and probably the best story I’ve seen in an RPG since playing Tales of Symphonia back in 2004. It was one of those games where I felt disappointed once it was over, solely because I wanted to keep playing. 

That being said, the battle system does take a while to get going, and the game takes its sweet time in introducing mechanics, though I honestly preferred this style. Games that throw me into the thick of things and expect me to figure it out on my own are the ones I usually lose interest in the fastest. I like learning game mechanics the same way I learn languages; giving me the basic ideas piece by piece, and giving me time to master them before throwing more at me.

Personally, I found the gameplay to be incredibly addictive once you have enough Blades to master Chain combos, but if you don’t care enough to put in the time, that’s perfectly fair.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:

I played Skyrim back on the 360, and thought it was decent. I liked how open it felt, and the music was great. *hums the dragon song*

For whatever reason though, I just stopped playing and never felt any motivation to go back to it. The story/quests really didn’t leave much of an impact on me, and I honestly couldn’t name a single character other than Lord Boomstone the Brave. I suppose these aren’t issues if you aren’t interested in these things, but for me a compelling story and/or interesting characters are essential in an RPG game. It probably didn’t help that I don’t have much interest in western stock fantasy in general, so a lot of the appeal was probably lost on me.

Xenoblade 2 on the other hand gripped me from start to finish, had an amazing cast of characters, and probably the best story I’ve seen in an RPG since playing Tales of Symphonia back in 2004. It was one of those games where I felt disappointed once it was over, solely because I wanted to keep playing. 

That being said, the battle system does take a while to get going, and the game takes its sweet time in introducing mechanics, though I honestly preferred this style. Games that throw me into the thick of things and expect me to figure it out on my own are the ones I usually lose interest in the fastest. I like learning game mechanics the same way I learn languages; giving me the basic ideas piece by piece, and giving me time to master them before throwing more at me.

Personally, I found the gameplay to be incredibly addictive once you have enough Blades to master Chain combos, but if you don’t care enough to put in the time, that’s perfectly fair.

Everything about Xenoblade 2 ticks all the boxes for it to be the best in the series. I'm my opinion it has.. the best art style, animations, cinematics and story. Plus the battle system is superb once you gets to grips with it. However there are a few glaring things that put it below other Xenoblade games in terms of my personal enjoyment. These are the awful map and navigation system, which has you running around in circles for up to hours at a time, field skill levelling up system where its not clear what the objective is to level up, and lastly the sometimes dreadful technical issues that dog the game, From frame drops to huge resolution drops. I'm not a graphics person but I do like the game to be somewhat stable, especially when Xenoblade X ran superbly on a lesser powerful system. Xenoblade 2 is an incredible game but not the best in the series, and that bugs me because it has all the ingredients to be the best, but some things are poorly executed and that's a shame.

I say Xenoblade if you don't mind gameplay being interrupted by long (mostly enjoyable) cut scenes.

Go wtih Skyrim if you want your Open World adventuring to be more immediate.

They are both great packages and worth $60 either way.

I would say if you play primarily Undocked, Skryim's visuals hold up better than Xenoblade's.

Can't lose with either one you pick though.

this thread is so long i wonder if the person who asked the question already picked one...

pizzanuggs said:
this thread is so long i wonder if the person who asked the question already picked one...

Haha ya i picked both

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Stellar_Fungk said:

Xenoblade 2 has one hell of a story and cast of characters, better than any Elder Scroll game after Morrowind.

Well, that's easy to argue when Elder Scroll games don't usually have main casts. The one in XC2 is ok, though. Poppi is best girl and Nia, Mórag, Brighid and Zeke are alright. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

These are so incredibly different it really depends entirely on your prefereces regarding art, story, and game progression.

I guess my question to you would be are you hungry for apples or oranges?