By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - State attorneys general line up to sue FCC over net neutrality repeal

IkePoR said:
VAMatt said:

I want no laws, strictly speaking.  

Rights don't come from government.  I want all humans to enjoy all basic human rights.  The only thing that government does is infringe upon them.  

Right then.

So a bloke breaks in your home in your dead of sleep, shoots you - because hey, anyone can just buy a gun without a licence because no laws - and steals all your belongings.  Cause without a government, all those crimes are fair game.  At this point, you'd better hope your closest ER is within crawling distance.  Cause without a government, no taxes = no ambulance.  

If you want the wild west, that's what life would be like.  I don't think you want no laws, I think you want what everyone wants - big corporations to stop influencing laws.  I think you want the government to be honest and look out for everyone it governs over, instead of fitting whatever agenda their owners pay them to fit.  

Human rights are nice, but the flaw with "basic human rights" is the complexities of human interaction.  Courts lived by "human rights" for a long time and you know where it got them?  Beheadings, hangings, unfair trails, horrible jailing conditions, wrongful imprisonment, draconian prison sentences and the list goes on and on. 

A government doesn't exclusively define laws. Laws are defined by societal moral codes.  No laws means debaucherous self preservation, to the point where no moral value will exist.  You want the benefit of human rights, after saying you want a society without morals. It sounds like you're a bit misguided or you have poorly established your world view.

Zkuq said:
VAMatt said:

I want no laws, strictly speaking.  

Rights don't come from government.  I want all humans to enjoy all basic human rights.  The only thing that government does is infringe upon them.  

How do you plan on enforcing human rights without a government? Mob rule?

You both seem to have a poor understanding of anarchy.  The one liner that I use to explain the basic premise to people that are stuck in the regular box of political thought is this - Anarchy doesn't mean no rules.  It means no rulers.  That's about as far as I'm interested in taking this discussion on VGC.  I come to this site to discuss gaming.  I should have kept my mouth shut in this thread.  But, I just couldn't help but point out the ridiculous yearning by gamers for crony capitalists to control the internet.  In the same sentence people talk about how big companies are going to ruin the internet, while calling on big companies to have their way with the internet.  People shit-talk the Trump administration (rightly so), then immediately say that they want the Trump administration to have more control over the internet.  It is mind boggling.  

And, BTW, I've spent the last decade of my life heavily involved in libertarian and anarchist political activism.  My world view is well established. 

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Azuren said:

1. Just because not everyone uses the internet doesn't mean that we should give everyone that does the shaft.

2. Red opposes net neutrality, blue supports it. You can say it isn't a Dem vs Rep thing, but it clearly has become as much.

3. No, not everyone's vote matters as much as others. Look up gerrymandering.

1. This again is the same as voting. Everyone of legal age has the right to vote, yet many don't bother voting. Why? There are many reasons, but one of the most important reasons is because the candidates don't offer those people what they want, or those people don't believe their vote matters since many politicians don't follow through. This is the same as NN. There are many country people who aren't being offered what they want, or they assume with or without NN, they are screwed anyway, so why bother?

2. I've seen some red who are for NN, and some blue against. They are the minority, but it's not strictly politics. I can't say there is no connection whatsoever between them, because there is, that connection is indirect however. It's like some of the Liberals who voted for Trump. They didn't like Trump or the Republicans, they just couldn't stand for what was happening within the Democratic Party, so while the Conservatives won some voters over, it was indirect.

3. Well if your going to move the lines, then the people should be made aware of this, and if they are, they should pay attention, and should take into account how those lines are drawn and who drew those lines when voting. If this information isn't available to voters, then they need to fight for it to be made available. Truth is most people don't know and/or don't care and just listen to what comes out of a Politicians mouth. NN again has similarities to this. The ISP's have to follow the NN equality rules, and let all data through without hassle, yet the websites can ban, block, and do whatever they want in terms of who's content is seen on their site. You can't say your for NN if your website purposely blocks things it doesn't like, for whatever reason, just like how you can't say you believe and love America's laws and rights, then have your party draw some new lines that purposely favor your election. You can physically do this, but then once again, what's the point as far as the people are concerned?

1. So because bumpkins don't know or care about the internet, I should have Spectrum wrist-deep in my anal cavity looking for money?

2. There's only a few politicians who don't agree with the rest of their party on NN. I'm not talking voters, I'm talking politicians.

3. So you don't deny that not everyone's vote holds the same weight, or you do? This last one feels like you needed a bit more direction.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

VAMatt said:
Zkuq said:

How do you plan on enforcing human rights without a government? Mob rule?

You both seem to have a poor understanding of anarchy.  The one liner that I use to explain the basic premise to people that are stuck in the regular box of political thought is this - Anarchy doesn't mean no rules.  It means no rulers.  That's about as far as I'm interested in taking this discussion on VGC.  I come to this site to discuss gaming.  I should have kept my mouth shut in this thread.  But, I just couldn't help but point out the ridiculous yearning by gamers for crony capitalists to control the internet.  In the same sentence people talk about how big companies are going to ruin the internet, while calling on big companies to have their way with the internet.  People shit-talk the Trump administration (rightly so), then immediately say that they want the Trump administration to have more control over the internet.  It is mind boggling. 

This answers nothing. Who enforces human rights? Maybe it's because my understanding of the details of anarchy are poor, but I have a hard time believing anyone could enforce human rights without acting as a de-facto government.

Azuren said:
EricHiggin said:

1. This again is the same as voting. Everyone of legal age has the right to vote, yet many don't bother voting. Why? There are many reasons, but one of the most important reasons is because the candidates don't offer those people what they want, or those people don't believe their vote matters since many politicians don't follow through. This is the same as NN. There are many country people who aren't being offered what they want, or they assume with or without NN, they are screwed anyway, so why bother?

2. I've seen some red who are for NN, and some blue against. They are the minority, but it's not strictly politics. I can't say there is no connection whatsoever between them, because there is, that connection is indirect however. It's like some of the Liberals who voted for Trump. They didn't like Trump or the Republicans, they just couldn't stand for what was happening within the Democratic Party, so while the Conservatives won some voters over, it was indirect.

3. Well if your going to move the lines, then the people should be made aware of this, and if they are, they should pay attention, and should take into account how those lines are drawn and who drew those lines when voting. If this information isn't available to voters, then they need to fight for it to be made available. Truth is most people don't know and/or don't care and just listen to what comes out of a Politicians mouth. NN again has similarities to this. The ISP's have to follow the NN equality rules, and let all data through without hassle, yet the websites can ban, block, and do whatever they want in terms of who's content is seen on their site. You can't say your for NN if your website purposely blocks things it doesn't like, for whatever reason, just like how you can't say you believe and love America's laws and rights, then have your party draw some new lines that purposely favor your election. You can physically do this, but then once again, what's the point as far as the people are concerned?

1. So because bumpkins don't know or care about the internet, I should have Spectrum wrist-deep in my anal cavity looking for money?

2. There's only a few politicians who don't agree with the rest of their party on NN. I'm not talking voters, I'm talking politicians.

3. So you don't deny that not everyone's vote holds the same weight, or you do? This last one feels like you needed a bit more direction.

1. Those people want what the city has, and not like before, so they could just watch funny cat clips, but because something else pretty much everyone agree's on is that internet is basically essential today, like a utility, and without it your practically screwed and will get left behind. Yet those country people don't want or need it? Sure some don't, but most do, and if you refuse to do what's necessary to get it to them, and even worse, you use demeaning words like 'bumpkin', that's when they all get together and vote for people like Trump, who is the main reason NNT2 has been rolled back. I've said this myself a bunch of times, the left has treated the right so poorly for so long, that it literally came to the point that even if Trump was going to totally ruin the system, the right was willing to let it happen, since the left obviously wasn't going to help bring the right 'up to par', so now the right is knocking the left 'down a peg or two'. If people don't pay attention, they eventually always end up learning the hard way unfortunately.

2.  The way you worded it made it sound like it was a public thing, not the political side of it. What the politicians think, really doesn't matter. It's what their people want. They can either do what their people want and get re-elected, or go against them and lose next time around. There is also the question of how many politicians are being paid by the large Corps that could be hurt by this roll back, to get it put back in place asap. The internet is really at a stage where it shouldn't be entirely free market, but shouldn't be a Gov regulated utility either, unless the Gov was to shell out the coin to get everyone connected and quickly, which clearly didn't seem to be the plan. That's why minor Gov influence makes sense at this point.

3. Everyone's vote is of the same value, meaning one vote by one citizen is equal to one vote by another citizen. If the politicians decide to screw with the system to pool more of a certain type of voter into an area, that's an indirect issue that can influence the outcome. It's not like by moving the lines, they are making your vote equal zero. You still voted and made your voice heard, and no system is perfect. Now if this scenario persists and the people do nothing, assuming the outcome is against their wishes, they have to deal with the consequences, just like how if the country people don't make sure this internet issue gets fixed and soon, they are going  to have to deal with the consequences. The truth is it's just not the country people that would be greatly effected either, it will eventually cause problems for city people too when it comes to food, and that can potentially be a major issue.

Seems this topic is dead now?